The Student Room Group

How many free periods? 4 AS + GS /5 AS + GS

How many free periods did you have if you was studying 4 AS and general studies / 5 AS and general studies? Curious.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Free periods? I think you mean Self-Guided Study Periods.
Reply 2
4AS+GS at my school is 1 free a day (minus 1 a week for the GS lesson)
5AS+GS is no frees
5*5 = 25

4 * 4 lessons + 1 for GS = 17

25-17 = 8....Around that figure
Reply 4
I had at least 1 a day in a two week timetable in both AS and A2, but during AS when I did 4 subjects I had one full day in the two weeks. During A2 I had one free period each day.
Reply 5
For us, if you took 5 AS's you got no free periods, with 4 the frees were where the 5th AS would've been.
Reply 6
I did 4 AS's and critical thinking and I had 3 frees. All at rubbish times, I never got a lie in or was able to leave early :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by (Online)
I did 4 AS's and critical thinking and I had 3 frees. All at rubbish times, I never got a lie in or was able to leave early :frown:

Seriously? I did four AS's and General Studies and got 10, if you did five at my school and General Studies you wouldn't get any. So it really depends on the school, f you're going to do five, 'd ask about not having to do GS - it really is a waste of time. Or ask f you can do the exam without gong to lessons.
Original post by Astonix

Haha, I've ran out of rep today. You sound like our teachers :rolleyes:

I do 5AS+GS and I had 4 a week, but lost one to extra lessons nearing exams.
Reply 9
Original post by tehmonkey
Seriously? I did four AS's and General Studies and got 10, if you did five at my school and General Studies you wouldn't get any. So it really depends on the school, f you're going to do five, 'd ask about not having to do GS - it really is a waste of time. Or ask f you can do the exam without gong to lessons.

Yep, it was rubbish! Friends at a different school did more than me and had about 8ish.
I did 4 AS subjects with no GS and got 8.
Reply 11
Original post by enviusl
How many free periods did you have if you was studying 4 AS and general studies / 5 AS and general studies? Curious.

I did 4AS + GS and had 5-6 frees a week. Would've been more, but we have extra speaking lessons for languages...
As someone else rightly said, you will have no free periods. Class time, for me anyway, was my main break :dance:
well with 7 lessons a day, with block 4 being tutor/lunch, so really 6 blocks of lessons, then 4 lessons a week per subject, and one lesson per enrichment, so 4x4 + 1 = 17, 6x5=30 30 - 17 = 13 so 13 a week
although had annoying lessons like key skills two lessons a week for 6 weeks, and a spanish speaking half hour lesson, so between 10 and 13 a week. 2 working sessions for each subject, plus a few spares - like first block friday morning which i used to stay in bed and read a bit more!!
Guess it really depends on how your school timetables. I did 4 AS subjects without general studies, so I had 5/30 free periods a week (and people who did take general studies had 4/30). I know people who did further maths had 1 free period a week (or 0 with general studies), and I also know someone who did 6 AS levels who had none, and they went to lessons after school too.

I guess the general rule is that if you do more subjects than is expected at your school, you'll be sacrificing some free periods.
Reply 15
Original post by infintywhirls
Haha, I've ran out of rep today. You sound like our teachers :rolleyes:

I do 5AS+GS and I had 4 a week, but lost one to extra lessons nearing exams.

Lol, it's what my Head of Sixth Form use to call it as well when she heard us using "Free period".
Original post by Astonix

Lmao love this haha i think i will use this when people say free periods:colone:
Reply 17
4AS+GS+Tutorial gave me 39 lessons a fortnight, leaving me with 11 frees.
Reply 18
Original post by (Online)
Yep, it was rubbish! Friends at a different school did more than me and had about 8ish.

Why did you have so few? Or don't you know, because we have 52 lesson blocks a fortnight & ten lessons for each subject. I guess without the extra lesson on Wednesday afternoon's it'd be less but even so. Your 'study' periods are what people doing IB get at my school, sometimes they even get more!
Reply 19
I did 4AS + critical thinking/enrichment once a week and had 10 frees a fortnight
If you did 5AS at my school you'd have 1 free per fortnight :P

Quick Reply

Latest