The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's College London 2012 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SimplyComplex
My high school was crap, to put it bluntly. I was the first person to get an A* in a language there, if that says anything. I didn't have the best experience there and resulted in me GCSE grades I'm not that happy with.. I think if anything will ruin my chances of getting into the uni I want, it'll be that. I know unis consider the big picture (PS, reference, etc), but yeah it's got me slightly worried.

And well done on your predicted grades! Your teachers obviously have a lot of faith in you to do great in your exams! At the moment, I'm predicted 2A*s in French and Sociology and a A in Film. I've told my film teacher I'm aiming for an A*, but I need to up my work this year.

A lot of open days seem to be on days we're in college, right? The ones I've gone to so far have been on weekends or during the Summer holidays. A guided tour sounds good, though! Just make sure you have a map, etc.. Sheffield uni didn't send me one for their open day and I ended up getting lost half a dozen times, alongside going up many hills. xD And I'm not completely sure about the interview thing, sorry. :frown: Your mum sounds like mine! They keep saying that everything is so dear down there and my dad has already decided he doesn't want to drive down there due to the traffic. Great. :tongue:

My school isn't that great either to be honest, especially with Science and Maths, but the Language and English departments are really good, so I'm kinda lucky I guess! What GCSEs did you get? They can't be that bad! :smile:

I'd aim for 3A*s, but I don't exactly know the criteria, in my AS I had an A in one exam and a B in the other with an A overall, if I get all As in my next exams does that mean I could get an A*?

And yes, unfortunately they are, but my school allows us to take the day off to attend, doesn't yours? My mother is constantly complaining about the price too haha, we're a single family and aren't well off, so I'll get grants etc. so I should be fine, I've heard it isn't as expensive as it's made out to be though, so I don't think we should worry :biggrin:!
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by Lewis :D
My school isn't that great either to be honest, especially with Science and Maths, but the Language and English departments are really good, so I'm kinda lucky I guess! What GCSEs did you get? They can't be that bad! :smile:

I'd aim for 3A*s, but I don't exactly know the criteria, in my AS I had an A in one exam and a B in the other with an A overall, if I get all As in my next exams does that mean I could get an A*?

And yes, unfortunately they are, but my school allows us to take the day off to attend, doesn't yours? My mother is constantly complaining about the price too haha, we're a single family and aren't well off, so I'll get grants etc. so I should be fine, I've heard it isn't as expensive as it's made out to be though, so I don't think we should worry :biggrin:!

I got 2 A*s, 3 As the rest Bs and 1 C. I know they're not terrible, but compared to a lot of people, I feel I didn't do so well. I'm asking my referee to write about extenuating circumstances that caused me to not do as well as I could've. Hopefully unis will take it into consideration.

I *think* you can still get an A* even though you got a B in a module, just as long as you get over 90% in your other modules at A2. It may be harder though as you will have to avoid dropping lots of marks in your upcoming A2 exams. Your teachers will probably advise you to resit the exam you got a B in, but only you can decide in the end. I'm in the same position as you, though - I got 181 UMS in AS French, with 100% in the listening, reading and writing paper, but I was 2 marks away from a A in the oral. My examiner was awful and the topics I was given couldn't have been worse, but hey ho. I'm decided resitting the AS oral as I'll have to do the A2 oral, so it'll be good practice. :smile:
Reply 22
I got 2 A*s, 3 As the rest Bs and 1 C. I know they're not terrible, but compared to a lot of people, I feel I didn't do so well. I'm asking my referee to write about extenuating circumstances that caused me to not do as well as I could've. Hopefully unis will take it into consideration.

I *think* you can still get an A* even though you got a B in a module, just as long as you get over 90% in your other modules at A2. It may be harder though as you will have to avoid dropping lots of marks in your upcoming A2 exams. Your teachers will probably advise you to resit the exam you got a B in, but only you can decide in the end. I'm in the same position as you, though - I got 181 UMS in AS French, with 100% in the listening, reading and writing paper, but I was 2 marks away from a A in the oral. My examiner was awful and the topics I was given couldn't have been worse, but hey ho. I'm decided resitting the AS oral as I'll have to do the A2 oral, so it'll be good practice. :smile:

That's weird! I had full marks in my listening, reading and writing too, and a lower mark in my oral! I had 184 overall UMS, but I still managed an A in my oral. What's your exam board?
That's weird! I had full marks in my listening, reading and writing too, and a lower mark in my oral! I had 184 overall UMS, but I still managed an A in my oral. What's your exam board?

It was either 2 or 3 marks away from an A for the oral.. I have no idea where the paper is. I'm on WJEC for French. I'm happy with what I've got and with the practice for the A2 oral, hopefully I'll be able to ace the resit. :smile:
Reply 24
It was either 2 or 3 marks away from an A for the oral.. I have no idea where the paper is. I'm on WJEC for French. I'm happy with what I've got and with the practice for the A2 oral, hopefully I'll be able to ace the resit. :smile:

I'm on WJEC too. Who was your oral examiner? My teacher was annoyed with mine, she marked way too stringently.
I'm on WJEC too. Who was your oral examiner? My teacher was annoyed with mine, she marked way too stringently.

I don't know his name, but this old man who had a really bad French accent. xD No one could really understand what he was trying to say. :tongue: The only person in our class to get an A in the oral was an actual French girl. :tongue: Yeah, they marked harshly here too! Very happy with the writing, listening, reading mark, though!

Where else are you thinking of applying to apart from Kings? :smile:
Me too. I'm applying for French (3 Year). :smile:

Me too! Exact same course. :biggrin:
Original post by Strüberry
Me too! Exact same course. :biggrin:

Wooo. :biggrin: I remember talking to you in the language applicants thread! I decided against applying to ULIP in the end.. There was no point applying to ULIP AND Kings, when we get to study there for a semester anyway. Kings would definitely be my firm. :smile:
Wooo. :biggrin: I remember talking to you in the language applicants thread! I decided against applying to ULIP in the end.. There was no point applying to ULIP AND Kings, when we get to study there for a semester anyway. Kings would definitely be my firm. :smile:

Really? I can't remember even posting in there! Pleased to meet you again! :colondollar:

When are you sending off your UCAS application? I know they have a post-offer open day for languages in early November/late October so that might be good timing for me imo. Just have to polish my PS a little.
I'll be applying for Philosophy :smile:
Really? I can't remember even posting in there! Pleased to meet you again! :colondollar:

When are you sending off your UCAS application? I know they have a post-offer open day for languages in early November/late October so that might be good timing for me imo. Just have to polish my PS a little.

No worries! Nice to meet to you again too! :biggrin:

Erm, I'm aiming to send my off mid October ish. How about you? I've done a couple of drafts of it so far, but I'm still not 100% happy with it. Will have to bug the teachers soon. xD Have you written about French books/films in your PS?

Which other unis are you applying to for French?
No worries! Nice to meet to you again too! :biggrin:

Erm, I'm aiming to send my off mid October ish. How about you? I've done a couple of drafts of it so far, but I'm still not 100% happy with it. Will have to bug the teachers soon. xD Have you written about French books/films in your PS?

Which other unis are you applying to for French?

:tongue:

Yeah, I am writing about two of my favourite authors and the time I spent in Bretagne/Breton literature. Probably for late October like you. And I've erm, decided against applying to anywhere but King's! I went to an open day at Durham and I realised that I don't want to leave London at all. I love our red buses and teeny roads too much :3
Reply 32
My mother isn't sold on the idea too, especially since the riots and the amount of stabbings in London! :P

If it helps, Kings is in a nice part of London :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by Beckiix
If it helps, Kings is in a nice part of London :smile:

I know, but when I tell her it's in central London she'll moan about the cost! lol
Reply 34
I know, but when I tell her it's in central London she'll moan about the cost! lol

You get a bigger loan at least! :tongue:
Reply 35
Original post by Beckiix
You get a bigger loan at least! :tongue:

I know! :biggrin:
Are you applying too? Do you know if it is really expensive? Accommodation doesn't seem too deer compared to some places, I'm just hoping there are some convenience stores nearby :biggrin:
:tongue:

Yeah, I am writing about two of my favourite authors and the time I spent in Bretagne/Breton literature. Probably for late October like you. And I've erm, decided against applying to anywhere but King's! I went to an open day at Durham and I realised that I don't want to leave London at all. I love our red buses and teeny roads too much :3

I've done similar to you - instead of listing a load of French books I've read, I've focused on talking about 2/3 in detail instead and what I disagreed/agreed with. My introduction still needs work, though. Ooh, did you stay with a family in Bretagne? I stayed in a tiny village in Clermont-Ferrand for 2 weeks this Summer. :smile:

My parents would rather me stay in the north, but most of the unis I want to apply for are in the midlands and the south. London is a pretty awesome city - I love the tube and the amount of shops there. xD
Reply 37
I know! :biggrin:
Are you applying too? Do you know if it is really expensive? Accommodation doesn't seem too deer compared to some places, I'm just hoping there are some convenience stores nearby :biggrin:

Yeah I'm applying :biggrin: Eng Lit/Lang. Hoopefully I'll get in! I think I'd firm it if I got an offer, I really like the course and the open day was brilliant. What are you applying for again?
Reply 38
I don't know his name, but this old man who had a really bad French accent. xD No one could really understand what he was trying to say. :tongue: The only person in our class to get an A in the oral was an actual French girl. :tongue: Yeah, they marked harshly here too! Very happy with the writing, listening, reading mark, though!

Where else are you thinking of applying to apart from Kings? :smile:

Sorry I didn't notice you'd replied. The native French speaker in my class had full marks in her oral, but she had a B in her reading, writing and listening. So I guess I have something to be proud of! :biggrin:

Well, right now I've though of Queen Mary, King's, Cardiff, Aberystwyth, Royal Holloway and Birmingham, but I haven't really checked up on some of them. I really have no idea, there's so many to choose from, but I know I definitely want to apply for King's, you? :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by Beckiix
Yeah I'm applying :biggrin: Eng Lit/Lang. Hoopefully I'll get in! I think I'd firm it if I got an offer, I really like the course and the open day was brilliant. What are you applying for again?

That sounds nice! French and Hispanic Studies. I'm a little worried that people there are unsociable, is anyone else worrying about that or am I being stupid? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest