The Student Room Group

How to get overall A* in edexcel maths

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MissBrown
Hi
You are assuming they will hit 90/90 in C3/4

98/99/100 UMS is often hit by students sitting C1 second time around (when they have C3/4 under their belt) after they score in the 80s first time round.
The additional 10 UMS can really take their pressure off either the 2nd applied module or Core 3 and 4 if they do not hit the A star mark and need to ensure they get an A
From experience, many with 262 UMS after As will not go on to hit 90/90 and therefore not get an A star. Many will though but it is not assured and a safety net is always good.
You can aim for one but having 10 easier UMS from C1 can ensure an A if you fall short to ensure an A.
480 UMS for an A so it can be worth banking additional marks if you have dropped 38 in AS.

If you're a true A* candidate you won't be worried about scraping the 480 - especially if a 90 average is achievable at C3/4. I got 85 in C1 and didn't bother retaking, ended up with 100 in both C3 and C4.
Reply 21
Original post by MissBrown
Hi
You are assuming they will hit 90/90 in C3/4

98/99/100 UMS is often hit by students sitting C1 second time around (when they have C3/4 under their belt) after they score in the 80s first time round.
The additional 10 UMS can really take their pressure off either the 2nd applied module or Core 3 and 4 if they do not hit the A star mark and need to ensure they get an A
From experience, many with 262 UMS after As will not go on to hit 90/90 and therefore not get an A star. Many will though but it is not assured and a safety net is always good.
You can aim for one but having 10 easier UMS from C1 can ensure an A if you fall short to ensure an A.
480 UMS for an A so it can be worth banking additional marks if you have dropped 38 in AS.

If OP spends enough time on C3/C4 then 180UMS is easily achievable. How well you do really is proportional to how much time you spend on it, if someone aims for 180UMS but misses it I doubt it would be more than just by a bit so retaking something to gain 10UMS is pointless.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by ViralRiver
If you're a true A* candidate you won't be worried about scraping the 480 - especially if a 90 average is achievable at C3/4. I got 85 in C1 and didn't bother retaking, ended up with 100 in both C3 and C4.

Agree, but with 262 from AS my point is that many with similar scores will not go onto gaining an A star and additional UMS can help ensure an A.

I am not saying its essential, I am just pointing out that whilst aiming for an A star is great its not always a given. :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by tooosh
If OP spends enough time on C3/C4 then 180UMS is easily achievable. How well you do really is proportional to how much time you spend on it, if someone aims for 180UMS but misses it I doubt it would be more than just by a bit so retaking something to gain 10UMS is pointless.

Hi
My suggestion is simply and option.
IIRC last year 46700 obtained A gardes in AS and 14800 obtained A stars at A2.
Whilst not a direct comparison it give some idea of the conversion rate.
Its great to aim for an A star, obtaining it though can be harder and all the UMS can help those not hitting the 180 average. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest