The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Java programming?

Hi. Anyone done any of the programming courses with the OU. I'm looking at doing the Java course at some point - just wondering what people think of it, if anyone's done it...
Reply 1
Which one, M255? I think that's the 'first' but there are a couple of others too. I've done M255 but not any others yet. It was pretty good. A lot of people struggled with the exam though...I found it fairly difficult but did better than I thought and just about scraped into the grade boundary that I wanted, so it turned out fine for me! :P
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Kate.
Which one, M255? I think that's the 'first' but there are a couple of others too. I've done M255 but not any others yet. It was pretty good. A lot of people struggled with the exam though...I found it fairly difficult but did better than I thought and just about scraped into the grade boundary that I wanted, so it turned out fine for me! :P

M255 is the one I'm looking at. I'm not sure whether doing building blocks of software first would be a good idea. I'm doing a maths degree with the OU as a second degree (for the lulz mostly) - did a bit of C++ in my physics degree but I've forgotten most of that.

I'm trying to get into projecteuler.net at the moment, so I need a language to learn and the Java course looks like a good a way as any as making up some of my free choice credits :p:
Reply 3
Original post by -G-a-v-
M255 is the one I'm looking at. I'm not sure whether doing building blocks of software first would be a good idea. I'm doing a maths degree with the OU as a second degree (for the lulz mostly) - did a bit of C++ in my physics degree but I've forgotten most of that.

I'm trying to get into projecteuler.net at the moment, so I need a language to learn and the Java course looks like a good a way as any as making up some of my free choice credits :p:

You should be fine doing M255 without doing building blocks of software first, especially if you've dabbled in programming before (you'll probably be surprised how much comes back to you). I haven't done that and I don't think many people on my presentation had either. A lot of people only had very basic JavaScript experience from M150 and I'm pretty sure quite a few people didn't even have that.

I've also recently started Project Euler! Only done about 6 problems so far, I've completely hit a wall with some though. I'm using Java for that as I'm doing another module next year which has a bit of Java in so I want to refresh my memory (I finished M255 last year and have since done MT264, so I keep getting the syntax mixed up with VB).
Reply 4
Original post by Kate.
You should be fine doing M255 without doing building blocks of software first, especially if you've dabbled in programming before (you'll probably be surprised how much comes back to you). I haven't done that and I don't think many people on my presentation had either. A lot of people only had very basic JavaScript experience from M150 and I'm pretty sure quite a few people didn't even have that.

I've also recently started Project Euler! Only done about 6 problems so far, I've completely hit a wall with some though. I'm using Java for that as I'm doing another module next year which has a bit of Java in so I want to refresh my memory (I finished M255 last year and have since done MT264, so I keep getting the syntax mixed up with VB).

lol, projecteuler looks pretty fun. I've got a friend who is ridiculously good at programming but hasn't done a lot of 'hard' maths and he's rattling along quite well with them. He was doing a Computer Science degree at Kings until recently, then he's pulled out to do maths with the OU. I'm the other way round, pretty god on the maths but (at the moment) can't program at all :p:

Might have to give the Java course a go then straight in without doing building blocks of software then :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending