The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've probably asked this question a million times bit I've never found a satisfying answer....nd since people are talking about a levels.........well

Basically I want to be a. Medic ( I have good reasons for doing so), and am in the process of picking my a-levels. I've narrowed in down to two combinations. Either ; biology, chemistry, English literature and math or biology, chemistry, English literature and geography.....

My problem is this.....I really want to take geography. I enjoy it a lot and think it would nicely overlap with biology as well as perhaps being slightly easier than maths.....

But than there's always a part of me that thinks I should do maths since it's more respected and I'm good at it. I feel I'll be disadvantaged if I don't do it..........but I don't really have a passion for maths like in my other subjects.....

So maths or geography? And will I be disadvantaged for medicine if I don't do maths?
Original post by Dannyboy1236
I've probably asked this question a million times bit I've never found a satisfying answer....nd since people are talking about a levels.........well

Basically I want to be a. Medic ( I have good reasons for doing so), and am in the process of picking my a-levels. I've narrowed in down to two combinations. Either ; biology, chemistry, English literature and math or biology, chemistry, English literature and geography.....

My problem is this.....I really want to take geography. I enjoy it a lot and think it would nicely overlap with biology as well as perhaps being slightly easier than maths.....

But than there's always a part of me that thinks I should do maths since it's more respected and I'm good at it. I feel I'll be disadvantaged if I don't do it..........but I don't really have a passion for maths like in my other subjects.....

So maths or geography? And will I be disadvantaged for medicine if I don't do maths?

My gut instinct would be to go for Geography if you enjoy it more. Geography is still respected, even if it's to a lower degree than Maths. There's no point forcing yourself to do something just for the sake of it, if you've got a good grade in GCSE Maths, then I'm pretty sure that you could do without at A-Level, as long as you were doing another respected subject.

That said, I don't know anything about the entry requirements for medicine, so my advice would be to go to the universities websites and look! If you can't find a good enough answer, then I'd suggest posting in the Medicine part of the forum, as they'll know a lot more about it over there than we do over in the GCSE forum.

EDIT: I just found this in the wiki:
At AS Level you should aim to take Chemistry, Biology and two other academic subjects. You do not need Mathematics to study medicine. Further Maths is usually not counted as an additional qualification alongside Mathematics. It is not advisable to study more than the standard four subjects as this will put strain on your ability to study effectively, and there is currently absolutely no benefit in having studied more.

So it looks like there's your answer. As you don't NEED Maths, I'd go for Geography. :smile:

Good luck with whatever you choose! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Yep :smile:

Also, just done a bit of Googling... this is from Cambridge's website:

Looks like Philosophy is just as respected as RS :dontknow:

Why do Universities hate English Language-it is the foundation of all degrees and should be the most important A-Level,it is the most important GCSE so why the huge slip?
Original post by Dalek1099
Why do Universities hate English Language-it is the foundation of all degrees and should be the most important A-Level,it is the most important GCSE so why the huge slip?

Given that GCSE English Language is compulsory, I think that it is assumed that if you pass it at GCSE level, you can speak/write/read/understand it to a reasonable degree. Obviously learning how to use correct grammar etc is important, and once you've mastered everything alone those lines you move onto tecnique and structure etc, which is less important if you don't want to study a degree heavily based on writing. And yes, I know that pretty much every university course will require a lot of writing, but some much more than others.

Although you do bring up a good point, IMHO.

This is most probably because the only real use of English Language is so that you can read/write/speak efficiently in English (unless you want to do a degree in English or something), which is already (supposedly) covered by the GCSE.

Due to this, English Lang. as an A-Level is effectively useless (unless, again, you're looking to do an English course at uni).
Reply 2345

What Tail Chaser said and also that although Geography is not as valued as Maths its a good idea to do a variety of subjects as in subjects which are not linked such as Physics and Maths. If you do a variety of different subjects it will often work in your favour especially as you choose to do Medicine as people often choose the typical Chemistry, Maths and Biology.

For example i want to apply to UCL for Medicine :tongue: & on the website they said they value applicants who have done a variety of subjects at A-Level over the ones who have done the typical subjects for Medicine. :smile:
Original post by jennifer.tariah
Oh wow why do you wanna travel that far? :confused:

Oh, a lot of reasons. It's the only sixth form college in Norfolk other than one in King's Lynn, but that is definitely way to far. I don't really want to go to a college attached to a high school. Seems like it would be better to go somewhere the staff are focused completely on Year 12 and 13 rather than another 5 years in addition.

The change of scenery also. I mean, I lived in the area for the college like 7 months ago before I moved here, but it is regarded as one of the best 6th form colleges in the country; it's been in the top 20 for like 10 years.

The only problem I forsee is some old friends of mine who might not realise that I wasn't too upset about leaving them :colonhash:
Original post by Mahii
What Tail Chaser said and also that although Geography is not as valued as Maths its a good idea to do a variety of subjects as in subjects which are not linked such as Physics and Maths. If you do a variety of different subjects it will often work in your favour especially as you choose to do Medicine as people often choose the typical Chemistry, Maths and Biology.

For example i want to apply to UCL for Medicine :tongue: & on the website they said they value applicants who have done a variety of subjects at A-Level over the ones who have done the typical subjects for Medicine. :smile:

But Maths is so cool :awesome:
Given that GCSE English Language is compulsory, I think that it is assumed that if you pass it at GCSE level, you can speak/write/read/understand it to a reasonable degree. Obviously learning how to use correct grammar etc is important, and once you've mastered everything alone those lines you move onto tecnique and structure etc, which is less important if you don't want to study a degree heavily based on writing. And yes, I know that pretty much every university course will require a lot of writing, but some much more than others.

Although you do bring up a good point, IMHO.

Noone really needs Maths at A-Level-I looked at FP2 and it is that silly that they include imaginary and fake numbers and learning about them.Maths is a very logically creative subject-I have recently been thinking of my own maths A-Level modules and I was getting confused but basically it was all about investigating how numbers are affected when symbols are took away from the equation and the values of symbols-I was planning SY1 and SY2(SY=Symbols) to be took as a pilot instead of C3 and C4.Thats what maths is utter daftness but it is fun:colondollar:-nothing much above grade C makes any real functional sense.

My Practise Questions for SY1:

Explain how 13-X(times symbol) could equal 3-X and explain all the possible values.

5/1+X=?

My practise Questions for SY2:

What does 6/=

Why is the value of the / sign undefined,in the above example?

(())=2
What does x= ?

Original post by Mahii

I just want to add that I completely agree with Mahii :smile: I forgot to mention that by taking Geography, you will set yourself apart from other applicants, as many will probably take maths, which will make you a memorable applicant at interviews etc. Mentioning how you apply your Biology knowledge to work in Geography might also be something good to mention in your personal statement or at interviews :smile:

Original post by MangoFreak

It is :biggrin:

BUUUUT I'm not sure that Maths A-Level is as 'applied' as it is at GCSE level. :redface:

That's just what I've gathered, it's probably wrong. :redface:
Noone really needs Maths at A-Level

Erm... okay? The post you quoted wasn't related to Maths so I don't know why you bought that up.

And, people who want to study Maths do :yep:
Noone really needs Maths at A-Level-I looked at FP2 and it is that silly that they include imaginary and fake numbers and learning about them.Maths is a very logically creative subject-I have recently been thinking of my own maths A-Level modules and I was getting confused but basically it was all about investigating how numbers are affected when symbols are took away from the equation and the values of symbols-I was planning SY1 and SY2(SY=Symbols) to be took as a pilot instead of C3 and C4.Thats what maths is utter daftness but it is fun:colondollar:-nothing much above grade C makes any real functional sense.

My Practise Questions for SY1:

Explain how 13-X(times symbol) could equal 3-X and explain all the possible values.

5/1+X=?

My practise Questions for SY2:

What does 6/=

Why is the value of the / sign undefined,in the above example?

(())=2
What does x= ?

Alright, I really don't like being mean, but I think you're literally getting stupider.

FP2: Further PURE Maths. It's called pure for a reason.

EDIT: Oh, and that symbol stuff makes no sense.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2352

I agree :tongue:
My gut instinct would be to go for Geography if you enjoy it more. Geography is still respected, even if it's to a lower degree than Maths. There's no point forcing yourself to do something just for the sake of it, if you've got a good grade in GCSE Maths, then I'm pretty sure that you could do without at A-Level, as long as you were doing another respected subject.

That said, I don't know anything about the entry requirements for medicine, so my advice would be to go to the universities websites and looku If you can't find a good enough answer, then I'd suggest posting in the Medicine part of the forum, as they'll know a lot more about it over there than we do over in the GCSE forum.

EDIT: I just found this in the wiki:

So it looks like there's your answer. As you don't NEED Maths, I'd go for Geography. :smile:

Good luck with whatever you choose! :smile:

Original post by Mahii

I just want to add that I completely agree with Mahii :smile: I forgot to mention that by taking Geography, you will set yourself apart from other applicants, as many will probably take maths, which will make you a memorable applicant at interviews etc. Mentioning how you apply your Biology knowledge to work in Geography might also be something good to mention in your personal statement or at interviews :smile:

It is :biggrin:

BUUUUT I'm not sure that Maths A-Level is as 'applied' as it is at GCSE level. :redface:

That's just what I've gathered, it's probably wrong. :redface:

Thank you both so much! You have no idea how helpful you've been. I almost forgot you were both in year 10 too for a second......for a long time now I've been shifting towards geography......and now I think I'll talk to my teachers but I think it will be geography.

No offense to math lovers.....but its not for me. I just feel It's not practical enough.
Thank you both so much! You have no idea how helpful you've been. I almost forgot you were both in year 10 too for a second......for a long time now I've been shifting towards geography......and now I think I'll talk to my teachers but I think it will be geography.

No offense to math lovers.....but its not for me. I just feel It's not practical enough.

No problem :hat2: I'm glad I could help :smile:

It's also worth mentioning that you're more likely to get better grades in subjects you like, simply because you'll be more enthusiastic :smile: If you enjoy Geography, then just go for it! :biggrin:

I was also thinking of taking Maths, but I was also concerned that it wasn't very practical, which is why I think I'm more likely to take Physics :smile:
No problem :hat2: I'm glad I could help :smile:

It's also worth mentioning that you're more likely to get better grades in subjects you like, simply because you'll be more enthusiastic :smile: If you enjoy Geography, then just go for it! :biggrin:

I was also thinking of taking Maths, but I was also concerned that it wasn't very practical, which is why I think I'm more likely to take Physics :smile:

Maths is very practical :emo:
Maths is very practical :emo:

To a degree :yep:

but I kinda think that once you get to the higher level stuff it starts to become less and less useful. E.g. histograms (which are hardly 'higher level', but still :tongue: my teacher said herself that learning it was pointless as she'd never had to deal with histograms in 'the real world', we just had to learn them as they'd be on our exams. :dontknow: I'm doing trigonometry at the moment, and I kinda think that although it is useful to learn how to do it, there are very few careers that would actually require you to use it.
To a degree :yep:

but I kinda think that once you get to the higher level stuff it starts to become less and less useful. E.g. histograms (which are hardly 'higher level', but still :tongue: my teacher said herself that learning it was pointless as she'd never had to deal with histograms in 'the real world', we just had to learn them as they'd be on our exams. :dontknow: I'm doing trigonometry at the moment, and I kinda think that although it is useful to learn how to do it, there are very few careers that would actually require you to use it.

Most physics-y careers will require trigonometry at some point :biggrin:

But yeah anything to do with Statistics needs to die in a hole.
Erm... okay? The post you quoted wasn't related to Maths so I don't know why you bought that up.

And, people who want to study Maths do :yep:

I was saying why maths shouldn't be so respected compared to English Language and Could you explain what MangoFreak's reply meant-i had no idea-I know FP2 stands for Further Pure Maths and the symbols are my attempt at new maths modules for A-Level,I love Maths so much that I create my own maths.
Most physics-y careers will require trigonometry at some point :biggrin:

But yeah anything to do with Statistics needs to die in a hole.

Fair enough :smile:

Bleh... Statistics. Bane of my life :work:

I love Maths so much that I create my own maths.

Um... yeah. Don't do that. :no:

Latest