The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pandora.
Ooh, wow! Good luck with that - have you thought about work experience for it yet? :smile:
And nope, I'll hopefully be studying History come 2014. :love:

oh yes i planning way ahead :L.... hopefully if all my results are how i predict my academics will be fine :biggrin: (Y) .... volunteer wise im doing the DofE award in year 11 at an old people's home and also when it is yr !! leavers in may i will volunteer at my old primary school (but i will need to persuade my science and english teachers to sign me off for a day :s-smilie: ) and hopefully a local GP to see if i can shadow anyone or do admin and continue with the old care home for DofE silver award and the GP in my spare time !! :-)

im also in my later years going to try and in school terms 'contribute to the development of sustainabilty in the academy' ... (basicall im gonna hold charity event in 6th form and see if i can introduce ideas for the stupid lesson of 'life' by trying to force school to make us learn CPR training and also basic first aid and stuff :biggrin: :L

prepared :biggrin:

what about you ... are you preparing for uni ??? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by techno836
oh yes i planning way ahead :L.... hopefully if all my results are how i predict my academics will be fine :biggrin: (Y) .... volunteer wise im doing the DofE award in year 11 at an old people's home and also when it is yr !! leavers in may i will volunteer at my old primary school (but i will need to persuade my science and english teachers to sign me off for a day :s-smilie: ) and hopefully a local GP to see if i can shadow anyone or do admin and continue with the old care home for DofE silver award and the GP in my spare time !! :-)

im also in my later years going to try and in school terms 'contribute to the development of sustainabilty in the academy' ... (basicall im gonna hold charity event in 6th form and see if i can introduce ideas for the stupid lesson of 'life' by trying to force school to make us learn CPR training and also basic first aid and stuff :biggrin: :L

prepared :biggrin:

what about you ... are you preparing for uni ??? :smile:
Wow, you really have got it all planned! :eek: I'm sure you'll be very prepared by the time you come to applying! :smile:

Well I'm always learning new things about the areas of history I'm most interested in, and I'm always expanding my knowledge of history in general, so I think I'm doing fine on that account. I'm already looking at potential unis though, just so I'm not thrown in at the deep end when the application cycle starts in Year 13. :biggrin:
Wow, you really have got it all planned! :eek: I'm sure you'll be very prepared by the time you come to applying! :smile:

Well I'm always learning new things about the areas of history I'm most interested in, and I'm always expanding my knowledge of history in general, so I think I'm doing fine on that account. I'm already looking at potential unis though, just so I'm not thrown in at the deep end when the application cycle starts in Year 13. :biggrin:

haha thankyou :-) and well it is important to know whereabouts in history you want to study and do reasearch for uni :-) which universities have you considered ?

for medicine i have looked around and leeds and sheffield really appeal to me ( plus they're close as i live in doncaster :L )
haha thankyou :-) and well it is important to know whereabouts in history you want to study and do reasearch for uni :-) which universities have you considered ?

for medicine i have looked around and leeds and sheffield really appeal to me ( plus they're close as i live in doncaster :L )
I've been considering Oxford and UCL - I'm thinking about Scottish/Welsh/Irish/Northern Irish universities too, just so I can have a change.

Both great unis! I'd prefer to go further away personally, but York is a very strong option for me too.
I've been considering Oxford and UCL - I'm thinking about Scottish/Welsh/Irish/Northern Irish universities too, just so I can have a change.

Both great unis! I'd prefer to go further away personally, but York is a very strong option for me too.

london and york are great choices ...a wealth of history to study there :L
Original post by Dalek1099
I looked back and your doing 2 maths exams in June,Unit 1 and 2 I think.If your doing maths exams this year and next year then you are doing modular but if you finish maths this year then the grade boundaries won't have been released before because this is the first time the linear exam is being tested in June.The grade boundaries for B1 and B2 in June 11 were 15 and 16/60 respectively.Basically,the grade boundaries are definitely not 50% for a D,even if you are doing linear,I doubt the grade
boundaries would be like that.Your grade boundaries are still very high and it looks like Edexcel love high grade boundaries-I do Edexcel for English and the grade boundaries are very high but for AQA they aren't nearly as high.

I am finishing next year, and its supposed that in June thats when the new rules are kicking in. so theres no avoiding it. thats it, i HATE high grade boundaries AQA is much lower and better to achieve a reasonable grade. i do AQA english and the grade boundaries are not as high as edxcel's, so basically a D in AQA english (in Our C.A.s) is like 10/18 which is much better i think
Original post by jennifer.tariah
I am finishing next year, and its supposed that in June thats when the new rules are kicking in. so theres no avoiding it. thats it, i HATE high grade boundaries AQA is much lower and better to achieve a reasonable grade. i do AQA english and the grade boundaries are not as high as edxcel's, so basically a D in AQA english (in Our C.A.s) is like 10/18 which is much better i think

i do OCR linear maths and theyre getting lowered i think... its currently like high 70's - low 80's for an A* also WJEC english for the controlled assesments you need 16/20 for an A and 18/20 for an A* :L
Original post by Mr.Nor
Not a real exam :wink: and no exams until june thank god :smile:

How many exams have you got in the Summer? and if its only a mock not too much to worry about:colondollar:I have 7 exams in the summer(3 Science,1 Literature,1 Maths,1 RE and 1 Geography)
i do OCR linear maths and theyre getting lowered i think... its currently like high 70's - low 80's for an A* also WJEC english for the controlled assesments you need 16/20 for an A and 18/20 for an A* :L

Thats really good, in Edxcel Alevel maths, you need 70% for a D. that i think is terrible, but then again Edxcel is classed as 'easy' but i find it quite hard..

If your finishing next year then your grade boundaries for maths aren't 50 % for a D but you do need 90% for an A*.10/18 for a D doesn't sound too much higher than Edexcel to be honest but for one controlled assessment you needed 95% for an A*.
Thats really good, in Edxcel Alevel maths, you need 70% for a D. that i think is terrible, but then again Edxcel is classed as 'easy' but i find it quite hard..

None of the exam boards are easier than each other-the grade boundaries differ because the questions are harder on one exam board or are marked harsher.All exam boards are checked by Ofqual.
If your finishing next year then your grade boundaries for maths aren't 50 % for a D but you do need 90% for an A*.10/18 for a D doesn't sound too much higher than Edexcel to be honest but for one controlled assessment you needed 95% for an A*.

They are, throughout all Edxcel subjects, my friend got 55/100 in the history exam that we did in Jan (i think) and she got a D, its a percentage and the test was out of 60. so she got more than half, and still got a D.
They are, throughout all Edxcel subjects, my friend got 55/100 in the history exam that we did in Jan (i think) and she got a D, its a percentage and the test was out of 60. so she got more than half, and still got a D.

The Grade Boundaries pretty much always change for every exam and are never done on percentages.How did your friend find out hey got 55/100 anyway?because you have to ask your teacher for the raw marks and the result on the sheet is converted into UMS and not marks.Luckily,the Poetry exam for Edexcel has low grade boundaries and I will only need 80%,which is about 55/56 UMS/60 UMS to get an A* overall because I need 55 UMS to get an A*-to get an A* on the paper you only need 38/50 normally.
The Grade Boundaries pretty much always change for every exam and are never done on percentages.How did your friend find out hey got 55/100 anyway?because you have to ask your teacher for the raw marks and the result on the sheet is converted into UMS and not marks.Luckily,the Poetry exam for Edexcel has low grade boundaries and I will only need 80%,which is about 55/56 UMS/60 UMS to get an A* overall because I need 55 UMS to get an A*-to get an A* on the paper you only need 38/50 normally.

it was the percentage on the result letter.

the result letter is not the grade boundaries.the results on the results letter will always be 90%A* 80A* but not the grade boundaries.The results on the results letter are converted from the grade boundaries-I got 100/100 on the results letter,which is full marks but found out from my maths teacher even though it was a geography exam that I got 41/50 raw marks because my geography teacher still doesn't know a thing about grade boundaries or finding out your raw marks.
Reply 2495
How many exams have you got in the Summer? and if its only a mock not too much to worry about:colondollar:I have 7 exams in the summer(3 Science,1 Literature,1 Maths,1 RE and 1 Geography)

4 (3 sci and maths)
the result letter is not the grade boundaries.the results on the results letter will always be 90%A* 80A* but not the grade boundaries.The results on the results letter are converted from the grade boundaries-I got 100/100 on the results letter,which is full marks but found out from my maths teacher even though it was a geography exam that I got 41/50 raw marks because my geography teacher still doesn't know a thing about grade boundaries or finding out your raw marks.

you said it yourself, they are converted from the grade boundaries.
Reply 2497

Ummm are you doing unit 2 because for modular to get an A* is around 48/60 marks..
Probably did quite well on Maths mock today...

Oh wait, I missed the last page on the back AGAIN :unimpressed:

Ah well, managed to do most of it in the 5 minute I had left.
Original post by stephhyy
Ummm are you doing unit 2 because for modular to get an A* is around 48/60 marks..

Um its the Linear one.

Latest