The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jennifer.tariah
obviously, maths is hard!

GCSE Maths is easy-only once you've learnt the stuff though because it is so easy to remember and to apply the stuff.
Original post by Dalek1099
GCSE Maths is easy-only once you've learnt the stuff though because it is so easy to remember and to apply the stuff.

I agree. I mean, some stuff's tricky at first, but I found that after doing past papers it asks pretty much the same thing in each paper with the same working out, just with different numbers.

With sciences, for example, the stuff is based around the same facts and logic but it isn't as easy to apply as a lot of things can be phrased quite differently and you need to know methods as well as explanations. Maths is just methods - learn the methods and you're fine. Sciences are definitely harder than maths (though maths could be technically classed as a science, by sciences I mean Biology, Chemistry and Physics).

I get my maths exam results back tomorrow.. I actually feel ok about them so yay. I only revised for about 2 weeks and it wasn't really serious revision as from going through past papers you literally hammered everything into your brain and just applied stuff, as I mentioned earlier. I have science exams in about 2 months and I hope to start revision quite soon as I find them harder. Even though I'm in the highest set for science, the exams definitely seem a lot more stressful and stuff. Though there's a lot of pressure on us so maybe that's why. It's not hard to get a B or a C, though we're expected at least high A's, if not A*s. I just hope for an A and that'll do me. I want to try get A's in most things, A*'s in a couple like Spanish, French etc. I'll probably get B's in Drama or Music as I have poor teachers and they've really put me of the subjects...

Maths is easy for some people and hard for others. Get over it.

Some people are good and some are bad; people have different abilities so stop acting like an obnoxious fool.

And also I am better than you at maths, but I don't go on about how it must be hard for you do I.
Reply 2543
I haven't seen you for ages.How is everything going?I'm failing Science with two Bs in the January exams but everything else is going smoothly with a to be moderated completed A* in English Language and Full UMS in my 1st Geography unit on the Coastal Environment.

How have you completed your English Language GCSE in year 10?:s-smilie:

& also which exam board? :smile: - I was just curious.
(edited 12 years ago)
anyone doing edexcel b2, c1 p1? new spec
Reply 2545
What extra curricular activities does everyone do?
Original post by GreenLantern1
Lol I don't understand your ratio and what it is about! Could you elaborate please.

haha sorry i mean.. who respects him : who doesn't .... and there is only our world
Original post by Mahii

i do DofE next year , i play basketball and tennis and go to the gym ....also i dunno if this is extra curricular or not ( i think it is) next summer holidays (not this years) im going to kenya with camps international to build houses, schools and some medical stuff and that (and also do an expedition up a mountain :L )

oh and im also learning to play the guitar :biggrin:
Reply 2548
Original post by techno836
i do DofE next year , i play basketball and tennis and go to the gym ....also i dunno if this is extra curricular or not ( i think it is) next summer holidays (not this years) im going to kenya with camps international to build houses, schools and some medical stuff and that (and also do an expedition up a mountain :L )

oh and im also learning to play the guitar :biggrin:

The things you're planning to do in Kenya sound AMAZING! Wish i was doing something like that (high unlikely). How did you manage to be a part of that?
Original post by Mahii
The things you're planning to do in Kenya sound AMAZING! Wish i was doing something like that (high unlikely). How did you manage to be a part of that?

actually the opertunity came today ... in assembly today camps international visted us and gave us the oppertunity we have to raise the money our selves to go ( £3800 :O ) so ive taken a letter now and gettin my mum n dad to sign it :smile: got a presentation at school to go to next week :smile:..... i cant wait :smile: it should be a great experience

btw my school is a public one .. not privatised and im NOT rich at all :L
Original post by Dougieowner
I agree. I mean, some stuff's tricky at first, but I found that after doing past papers it asks pretty much the same thing in each paper with the same working out, just with different numbers.

With sciences, for example, the stuff is based around the same facts and logic but it isn't as easy to apply as a lot of things can be phrased quite differently and you need to know methods as well as explanations. Maths is just methods - learn the methods and you're fine. Sciences are definitely harder than maths (though maths could be technically classed as a science, by sciences I mean Biology, Chemistry and Physics).

I get my maths exam results back tomorrow.. I actually feel ok about them so yay. I only revised for about 2 weeks and it wasn't really serious revision as from going through past papers you literally hammered everything into your brain and just applied stuff, as I mentioned earlier. I have science exams in about 2 months and I hope to start revision quite soon as I find them harder. Even though I'm in the highest set for science, the exams definitely seem a lot more stressful and stuff. Though there's a lot of pressure on us so maybe that's why. It's not hard to get a B or a C, though we're expected at least high A's, if not A*s. I just hope for an A and that'll do me. I want to try get A's in most things, A*'s in a couple like Spanish, French etc. I'll probably get B's in Drama or Music as I have poor teachers and they've really put me of the subjects...

I find Science a lot harder than Maths,predicted 2A*s but am only on a B,from the January exams-where as an A* in Maths is very easy.
Original post by Mahii
How have you completed your English Language GCSE in year 10?:s-smilie:

& also which exam board? :smile: - I was just curious.

Edexcel and I complete both Language and Literature in Year 10 and move onto Film Studies in Year 11.
Original post by Mahii

- Deputy Head Girl (Yeah... I know :redface: )
- Scouts for 8 Years
- Bronze Duke of Edinburgh's Award
- Young Leader at Scouts for 8 months
- Chief editor of the school's science newsletter (again, I know... :redface:)
- Horse riding once a week (part of DofE)
- Art Club once a week if I can be bothered
- Teaching elderly people how to use computers (although this was only once because they ran out of people who do it regularly. I might sign up to become a proper member next year, though.)
- I MIGHT train to become a climbing instructor, although this seems unlikely as I really don't think that I will have the time, plus I'm not really that interested anyway :tongue:

techno836

oh and im also learning to play the guitar

Wow! You sure do have a lot of extra curricular stuff! :biggrin: I wish I played an instrument still. I used to play recorder, violin and keyboard, but I just kinda gave up.

That Kenya thing sounds AMAZING! :biggrin: You have no idea how jealous I am :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
- Scouts for 8 Years
- Teaching elderly people how to use computers (although this was only once because they ran out of people who do it regularly. I might sign up to become a proper member next year, though.)
- I MIGHT train to become a climbing instructor, although this seems unlikely as I really don't think that I will have the time, plus I'm not really that interested anyway :tongue:

Wow! You sure do have a lot of extra curricular stuff! :biggrin: I wish I played an instrument still. I used to play recorder, violin and keyboard, but I just kinda gave up.

That Kenya thing sounds AMAZING! :biggrin: You have no idea how jealous I am :biggrin: :biggrin:

You do a lot of extra curricular activities-nearly died reading that:colondollar:

I could only say Youth Parliament?and badminton club? and I never go out socially.
You do a lot of extra curricular activities-nearly died reading that:colondollar:

I could only say Youth Parliament?and badminton club? and I never go out socially.

I really don't do that many :tongue: Most are just after school so it's not like they take up too much of my time.

Youth Parliament is good :smile: A few of my friends used to do it (one of which is now studying Politics at university). One of the other two people I know that do it quit, but I'm not sure about the other guy.

What's badminton like? I never really enjoyed doing it in PE, I found it a bit boring to be honest.
I really don't do that many :tongue: Most are just after school so it's not like they take up too much of my time.

Youth Parliament is good :smile: A few of my friends used to do it (one of which is now studying Politics at university). One of the other two people I know that do it quit, but I'm not sure about the other guy.

What's badminton like? I never really enjoyed doing it in PE, I found it a bit boring to be honest.

I sort of got sacked for the Youth Parliament and Badminton s good but sometimes when you are playing points can go on forever and can be quite strenuous.
I sort of got sacked for the Youth Parliament and Badminton s good but sometimes when you are playing points can go on forever and can be quite strenuous.

Sacked? Oh dear, what did you do!? :tongue:

Yeah, that's why I didn't particularly like it. Last term we were given a choice of Badminton, Trampolining and Athletics for our next BTEC unit. I chose trampolining :smile:
:eek: Why?
I enjoy playing badminton in PE lessons, but I've never really been that good at it. :ninja:
- Scouts for 8 Years

well you do quite a bit :L :-) and im hoping to carry on my DofE to silver and possibly gold (dependant on how much spare time i have during my A levels ) my school doesnt do 'deputy head boy/girl or owt' ... or newspaper either ,, we have "student voice" which is crap and doesnt get anything done :L

the kenya thing i really really really want to go for many many reasons :L , escape my house , its something different , it will be used in my PSand i hope to change peoples lives and learn many skills :biggrin: and more :biggrin: the company, camps international ' get us all prepared and help us fund raise for it all and they set the fund raises up and stuffand i like have summat like just over 60 weeks to raise £3860 :O ..... but with support i will get there !!!!!!
Original post by techno836
well you do quite a bit :L :-) and im hoping to carry on my DofE to silver and possibly gold (dependant on how much spare time i have during my A levels ) my school doesnt do 'deputy head boy/girl or owt' ... or newspaper either ,, we have "student voice" which is crap and doesnt get anything done :L

the kenya thing i really really really want to go for many many reasons :L , escape my house , its something different , it will be used in my PSand i hope to change peoples lives and learn many skills :biggrin: and more :biggrin: the company, camps international ' get us all prepared and help us fund raise for it all and they set the fund raises up and stuffand i like have summat like just over 60 weeks to raise £3860 :O ..... but with support i will get there !!!!!!

Yep, I'm hoping to do Silver and Gold DofE too :smile:

My school changed the system this year so that only the teachers get to vote. If they had done it the old way so that pupils voted then I wouldn't have stood a chance! :tongue: Forever alone... :tongue:

I started the science newsletter :redface: Well, it was around several years ago but as the writers moved on to A-Level it died and was forgotten about. My Biology teacher wanted to start it up again, and I've kinda done everything for it :tongue: It's hard work, sure, but like you, said, it will look good on my PS or whatever.

The Kenya thing sounds so cool :biggrin: How many kids are going?

If you don't mind me asking, what are you thinking of applying for to university? Sorry if you've already said, I can't be bothered to read through the entire thread to look. I just ask because you have so much extra curricular stuff, you'll be a really strong applicant if you can get good grades and plenty of work experience :smile:

Latest