The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Yep, I'm hoping to do Silver and Gold DofE too :smile:

My school changed the system this year so that only the teachers get to vote. If they had done it the old way so that pupils voted then I wouldn't have stood a chance! :tongue: Forever alone... :tongue:

I started the science newsletter :redface: Well, it was around several years ago but as the writers moved on to A-Level it died and was forgotten about. My Biology teacher wanted to start it up again, and I've kinda done everything for it :tongue: It's hard work, sure, but like you, said, it will look good on my PS or whatever.

The Kenya thing sounds so cool :biggrin: How many kids are going?

If you don't mind me asking, what are you thinking of applying for to university? Sorry if you've already said, I can't be bothered to read through the entire thread to look. I just ask because you have so much extra curricular stuff, you'll be a really strong applicant if you can get good grades and plenty of work experience :smile:

thanks :-) and well i havent started owt at my school because our system is all messed up :Land what do you include in the newsletter ?

the representitive actually said the more , the better so i dont think there is a limit really :L but anyone who is interested has to sign the letter and bring it in by the 23rd :biggrin:

i want to study medicine :biggrin:<3 hopefully at leeds /sheffield wbu ? :biggrin:
Original post by techno836
thanks :-) and well i havent started owt at my school because our system is all messed up :Land what do you include in the newsletter ?

the representitive actually said the more , the better so i dont think there is a limit really :L but anyone who is interested has to sign the letter and bring it in by the 23rd :biggrin:

i want to study medicine :biggrin:<3 hopefully at leeds /sheffield wbu ? :biggrin:

The aim of the newsletter is basically to rewrite science articles in the news to make them more kid-friendly :P It's not the most interesting thing in the world, but it means that I can keep up with current affairs and it also means that I can practice my English and ICT skills, which is a good thing to but on CVs and such I suppose. :smile:

To be honest I have no clue. :s-smilie: I've always kind of said that it would be great to study Veterinary Medicine, but that's really, really competitive (possibly even more competitive than human medicine because only seven universities offer veterinary), and I really don't think I'm good enough. It doesn't help that I live in London, so finding work experience placements on farms and stuff is going to be really tricky. If I don't do that then I quite fancy the idea of forensic science or something like that. Or if not that then I'd love to be an animator (I know, the polar opposite of anything science related! :tongue: )
The aim of the newsletter is basically to rewrite science articles in the news to make them more kid-friendly :P It's not the most interesting thing in the world, but it means that I can keep up with current affairs and it also means that I can practice my English and ICT skills, which is a good thing to but on CVs and such I suppose. :smile:

To be honest I have no clue. :s-smilie: I've always kind of said that it would be great to study Veterinary Medicine, but that's really, really competitive (possibly even more competitive than human medicine because only seven universities offer veterinary), and I really don't think I'm good enough. It doesn't help that I live in London, so finding work experience placements on farms and stuff is going to be really tricky. If I don't do that then I quite fancy the idea of forensic science or something like that. Or if not that then I'd love to be an animator (I know, the polar opposite of anything science related! :tongue: )

that would be useful ... not as much terminology to confuse me :L ...

and veterinary medicine is very competitive and so is forensics ... (due to all the CSI's nowadays :L ) i dont know much on being an animator ... but for veterinary science it doesnt have to be on a farm .... it could just be an household vet there must be a lot in london... its more important of what you learn then where it is or what you actually do ... mostly it would depend on how you put your w.e in your PS :biggrin:<3 hope this helps you slightly :biggrin:

but i dont know the acedmic requirements :s-smilie:
Original post by Pandora.
:eek: Why?
I enjoy playing badminton in PE lessons, but I've never really been that good at it. :ninja:

I wasn't doing very well and was struggling-the youth parliament was tough even though I got 3rd in the elections out of 20 something.It might have been because of how shy I was and how independent the work was-you weren't given much help on it and I often struggled to find the right time to speak in a discussion.
I got 99/120 UMS in the maths exam, so about 49.5/60 marks, sort of what I predicted after doing the exam. So glad that I got an A though as people in the set below got C's and someone in set 1 got a B. So I did quite well for set 3 (hopefully I can move up as that'd seem fair)...

If anyone else did the Edexcel Unit 1 GCSE maths exam, how did you do? I hope you all did well :smile:
Original post by Dalek1099
I wasn't doing very well and was struggling-the youth parliament was tough even though I got 3rd in the elections out of 20 something.It might have been because of how shy I was and how independent the work was-you weren't given much help on it and I often struggled to find the right time to speak in a discussion.
Ah, I see. I have the same problem with speaking in front of large groups of people, but at least you tried. :smile:

Original post by Dougieowner
I got 99/120 UMS in the maths exam, so about 49.5/60 marks, sort of what I predicted after doing the exam. So glad that I got an A though as people in the set below got C's and someone in set 1 got a B. So I did quite well for set 3 (hopefully I can move up as that'd seem fair)...

If anyone else did the Edexcel Unit 1 GCSE maths exam, how did you do? I hope you all did well :smile:
Well done! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
i just got my Physics results today and got an B! i soo proud of myself!:biggrin:
Ah, I see. I have the same problem with speaking in front of large groups of people, but at least you tried. :smile:

Original post by jennifer.tariah
i just got my Physics results today and got an B! i soo proud of myself!:biggrin:

Well done; that's awesome! :biggrin:

That's so awesome I'm going to use the emoticon that is called awesome :awesome:

---

I got an A* on mah Latin :ahee: and mah Maths :gah:

well done i dopnt do physics untill next year .. its all chemistry and biology this year :L
that would be useful ... not as much terminology to confuse me :L ...

and veterinary medicine is very competitive and so is forensics ... (due to all the CSI's nowadays :L ) i dont know much on being an animator ... but for veterinary science it doesnt have to be on a farm .... it could just be an household vet there must be a lot in london... its more important of what you learn then where it is or what you actually do ... mostly it would depend on how you put your w.e in your PS :biggrin:<3 hope this helps you slightly :biggrin:

but i dont know the acedmic requirements :s-smilie:

Nope, you need to do quite a few weeks on a farm. I can't remember many of the requirements for the universities, but if I remember correctly Liverpool (which has the highest requirements in regard to work experience) want four weeks of work at a veterinary surgery (that also includes working at a large animal vet, so like horses or cows) and then six weeks of animal husbandry (which can be pretty much anything to do with animals). It's HIGHLY recommended that you AT LEAST get some work at a dairy farm and a stable as well as going lambing, and as you can guess, there aren't exactly many cows or sheep near me. :tongue: And yes, learning from experience is definitely more important than purely having loads of weeks worth, but unis won't even consider me if I don't meet the minimum requirements for work exp.

I dunno :s-smilie: Sure, I like animals or whatever, but being a vet seems like a bit of an unobtainable dream. I think I have to set my sights on something a bit more realistic.

Well done, that's awesome! :biggrin: I hope you get moved up too :smile:

Well done, that's a fantastic grade! :biggrin:

Original post by MangoFreak

Good job :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Well done, that's a fantastic grade! :biggrin:

Good job :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Well done; that's awesome! :biggrin:

That's so awesome I'm going to use the emoticon that is called awesome :awesome:

---

Wow! thats a massive achievement! well done-r than me! i guess lol

well done i dopnt do physics untill next year .. its all chemistry and biology this year :L

Why is that? how come your school does it like that?

Aww thank you guys! :blushing::excited: I actually nearly fainted! I thought i failed! I was there, ready to accept a U.. lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Aww thank you guys! :blushing::excited: I actually nearly fainted! I thought i failed! I was there, ready to accept a U.. lol

Aww, you shouldn't be so hard on yourself! :cute:
Aww, you shouldn't be so hard on yourself! :cute:

But the thing is, i actually thought i did horrendously, and i would fail no doubt, but it turns out the people that I thought would ace this got lower than me, so i'm happy i guess!

Well done mate! :biggrin:
Russell Howard's Good News :thumbsup:
Wow! thats a massive achievement! well done-r than me! i guess lol

Why is that? how come your school does it like that?

i dont know .... my schoool is just crazy :L

I checked the grade boundaries on the Edexcel website and you got 46/60.

I haven't much trouble speaking in front of large groups of people but when its face to face,I often get very shy.

---

How many UMS did you get for maths?

Latest