The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pandora.
Raquel?

Spoiler

If my googling skills are accurate you were talking about Coronation Street? :confused:

I should have mentioned its 'Of Mice and Men' :smile: ...not coronation street.:wink:
Reply 101
Original post by Cynical.
Hey:3

You think you're waving goodbye to your social life? We're only 3 weeks in! I don't mean to sound offensive, and I know it differs between schools and such, but I don't see how someone getting A* equivalents at the end of Year 9 could be feeling that under everything already! How would those getting Es, or even Cs, cope? Have you spoke to anyone at school?=P You'll do fine!=P

My school's insane on homework and it's reputation. They expect us to do two hours of homework a night o.o And every teacher expects really good work out of me (and everyone else in my classes, the joy of top sets).

Original post by SweatyGoldfish
We're doing a debate on Curley's Wife, and a controlled assessment as well.

2 birds with one stone :smile:

We're just starting to read Of Mice and Men and we've been told the assessment will be something along the lines of exploring Lennie and George's relationship. We're part way through the first chapter, and the only thing that keeps the majority of my class alive is the teacher's awful American accents, but it's not that bad really :redface:

Has anyone else been put in a terrible class for something?
I'm in set 1 for everything, apart from IT, and geez, my IT class is terrible. Everyone talks over the teacher, she has no control, we aren't even set any work.

I was thinking about asking to move sets but really it's my fault I'm in it, in the first place. Last year I chose to sit next to my friend, and I think with effort we both could've got Distinction, but we just chatted and messed about all year.

So yeah anyone got any advice for doing well in a crappy set? :colondollar:

^This. But for German. All I can say is keep trying to work through it and ignore all the annoying people, be nice to the teacher and if it's no better (or worse) in a few weeks, talk to your Form Tutor or the Head of IT. I talked to my form tutor, and although he can't move me, I found out that in November when the target grades come through we'll be regrouped for German, so I have to stick it out until then :smile:
If my googling skills are accurate you were talking about Coronation Street? :confused:

I should have mentioned its 'Of Mice and Men' :smile: ...not coronation street.:wink:

Yes, Coronation Street :colondollar:
I've never read OMAM :frown: Is it good?
Yes, Coronation Street :colondollar:
I've never read OMAM :frown: Is it good?

To be honest studying it so closely in school has kinda killed it for me, but when I first read it a few months ago I really liked it :smile:

Its worth a read, seeing as its only 5 chapters long (100ish pages?) :smile:
To be honest studying it so closely in school has kinda killed it for me, but when I first read it a few months ago I really liked it :smile:

Its worth a read, seeing as its only 5 chapters long (100ish pages?) :smile:

Is it that short? Wow, I'll try and find a copy. Thanks!
Original post by chloe--

We're just starting to read Of Mice and Men and we've been told the assessment will be something along the lines of exploring Lennie and George's relationship. We're part way through the first chapter, and the only thing that keeps the majority of my class alive is the teacher's awful American accents, but it's not that bad really :redface:

^This. But for German. All I can say is keep trying to work through it and ignore all the annoying people, be nice to the teacher and if it's no better (or worse) in a few weeks, talk to your Form Tutor or the Head of IT. I talked to my form tutor, and although he can't move me, I found out that in November when the target grades come through we'll be regrouped for German, so I have to stick it out until then :smile:

Thats weird, I thought most schools got the same question, but we got told it was on analysing Curley's Wife, and whether or not she was really a tart. :s-smilie:

Yeah me and my friend have decided to try and stick it out for a while and if things don't get any better we'll ask to move. At least I know its not just me in this situation.:biggrin:
Is it that short? Wow, I'll try and find a copy. Thanks!

No problem :smile:
So...
Anyone doing Art? I'm doing journeys as a theme, Art is soooo relaxed, our teacher tells us waht to do does her own thing and we are left to our own devices, I love Art so much.
Original post by SensibleUsername
So...
Anyone doing Art? I'm doing journeys as a theme, Art is soooo relaxed, our teacher tells us waht to do does her own thing and we are left to our own devices, I love Art so much.

I'm doing Art :yes: I love it. What sort of Art have you been doing so far?
Reply 109
I probably have homework due for tomorrow. Errr
Original post by Cynical.
I probably have homework due for tomorrow. Errr

Ditto :erm: Although, in my defence, I spent the weekend camping (and waterskiing... I sucked :tongue: ) I'll probably just do it during registration.... again :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
We're doing - Examine how Steinbeck establishes the characters of and relationship between George and Lennie in the opening chapter of 'Of Mice And Men'.

snfjbfsdnfkdmf Making loads of notes on the first chapter is great way to get you into the book -.-

Coursework's been replaced with 'controlled assessments' at our school. I'm so scared! :-(

Is anyone doing OCR ICT?

And also, what's the relevance of Lennie repeatedly saying "I like beans with ketchup"?
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I'm doing Art :yes: I love it. What sort of Art have you been doing so far?

Art's really stressful at our school, plus I'm crap at it, so I decided to go for History and Geography. Yay for being good at nothing!
Reply 113
Similar plan here. May be bothered to check at 8. Busy playing with my girlfriend's guitar. Never played before and she lent it me (because she took Photography and I've been lending her my camera). My poor fingers~

RIGHT. In the interests of conversation, let's try and end as many posts with a question or something. Just to get people posting. So; how many of you are in any sort of relationship?=P

And I'm doing OCR ICT, seems like the worst taught subject at school really. Course is all over the place.
Are you doing exams for IT? All of ours is coursework, does this mean it's a BTEC? Have I just lost 2 GCSE's? The exam wasn't even that hard!
Reply 115
Umm, ours is OCR Nationals thing, pretty crap, graded Pass/Merit/Distinction. Are you doing module crap like AO1,AO2 etc, making your own business?
No, I don't think so. At the moment we're doing Safety crap, like password protection and health and safety, pretty easy, just lots to write. What subjects did you take?
Original post by Raza098
We're doing - Examine how Steinbeck establishes the characters of and relationship between George and Lennie in the opening chapter of 'Of Mice And Men'.

I'm doing Of Mice And Men at some point. At the moment we're doing descriptive writing.

Original post by Raza098
Coursework's been replaced with 'controlled assessments' at our school. I'm so scared! :-(

Same :frown: My first CA is in just over a week's time. Somebody please shoot me.
I'm assuming you like dogs? :-(
Reply 119
Original post by Raza098
No, I don't think so. At the moment we're doing Safety crap, like password protection and health and safety, pretty easy, just lots to write. What subjects did you take?

We did that =P The first thing we did, making safety posters. Guessing we're doing the same thing.

I took History, Spanish + Drama :3

Latest