The Student Room Group

Current Year 10 Thread (2011/2012)

CURRENT YEAR 10 THREAD (2011/2012), AND YEAR 11 (2012/2013)

Hi there everyone! :biggrin:

So, there's been "Current Year" threads for quite a while now and I thought that I may as well create one for the Year 10's of 2011/2012! This is where we can hang out and discuss stuff! I wish you all the best of luck as we all move from Year 9 into Year 10!

I'm not sure if I'm excited or not about moving into Year 10. I'm not excited about starting GCSE exams that actually count, but hopefully I'll be able to work really hard in order to achieve the grades that I want. I'd like to be a vet in the future, so I'm going to have to try my best as it's a very competitive career.

I actually started my GCSE courses last year, but what did all you lot pick for your GCSE options? I chose Spanish, French, Food Tech, Music and Drama. I'm enjoying most of them. I love Spanish and Food Tech, and I'm probably best at those two subjects and enjoy them most. I'm ok at French, but I'm not as good at it as I am with Spanish. With Drama I don't like my teacher and he's very boring. Finally, Music is a very unorganised department and I can be OCD about unorganised things, so obviously I find the subject slightly annoying. I don't think the teachers are great (they favour certain people too and leave most people like me out, basically trying to say that we're unwanted when we're actually better grade-wise than the people that the teachers favour). It's a shame that the music and drama teachers aren't good when it's meant to be a performing arts academy. -.-

If you've started doing your option courses already, how are they all going for you? What are your grades like in them?

So, that's about all I've got to say for now. I hope you enjoy this thread and it'll be nice to chat with other Year 10's, I'm sure.

Enjoy! 8D
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi fellow year 10's
Im so scared about year 10 xD

and i Chose Spanish,R.S,History and Food Tech

Absolutely Love Spanish + R.S
don't like History and Food, made a thread on my problems with that already lol
Reply 2
hi starting to think i was the only one ,
i am not to scared i have all ready started all my courses
and i choose history, geography , physiology and science in society.
Reply 3
Try and get good grades in Year 10. I didn't and now I have a hell of a lot of work to do in Year 11.
Reply 4
Good luck guys - it's strange to not be joining this thread! :biggrin:
I'm sure you'll all do fine if you put your mind to it. Year 10 was the best year yet for me, and hopefully Year 11 will be even better!

Feel free to PM me if you ever need any advice, or for any reason at all! :smile:
Hey guys,
I'm doing Spanish,History,Triple Science,I.C.T and P.E.
I'm actually not that worried about doing GCSE's. I'm sure you guys will be fine! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by sunshinebeem
Hey guys,
I'm doing Spanish,History,Triple Science,I.C.T and P.E.
I'm actually not that worried about doing GCSE's. I'm sure you guys will be fine! :smile:

Yeah im worried but kinda excited XD
I'd be so much happier, and worry free if i was happy with my options though lol
Original post by Just-Me
Yeah im worried but kinda excited XD
I'd be so much happier, and worry free if i was happy with my options though lol

Aw, you'll be fine:biggrin:
Were you forced into taking two of those options that you dislike?
Reply 8
hey, I was wondering if anyone could answer this for me, we started are english gcse speaking and listening early, and I have done the 3 tests that go with it (talking to the class, role-play, group discussion ) but I know I did terrible on the first two (on the talking to the class I think I will be lucky to get 1 or 2 marks , as I barley got a word out, let alone a sentence )

I was wondering does anyone know if you take multiple of these tests, and thennyour best one gets taken off, or is that the one being sent of? And also how much of the gcse do they count for if so?

Took triple science, geography, philosophy and ethics, I.t, but these english thing is really worrying me
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Tommy97
hey, I was wondering if anyone could answer this for me, we started are english gcse speaking and listening early, and I have done the 3 tests that go with it (talking to the class, role-play, group discussion ) but I know I did terrible on the first two (on the talking to the class I think I will be lucky to get 1 or 2 marks , as I barley got a word out, let alone a sentence )

I was wondering does anyone know if you take multiple of these tests, and thennyour best one gets taken off, or is that the one being sent of? And also how much of the gcse do they count for if so?

Took triple science, geography, philosophy and ethics, I.t, but these english thing is really worrying me

You can repeat the tests as many times as you like, as long as your teacher allows it :smile:.
Reply 10
OML to be young and in year 10 again. I miss it already. :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by Paparazzo
OML to be young and in year 10 again. I miss it already. :frown:

Is year 10 a good year then :smile:?
I have loved year 9, and have been dreading year 10..
Reply 12
Original post by Just-Me
Is year 10 a good year then :smile:?
I have loved year 9, and have been dreading year 10..

If you have everything sorted in year 10 then you'll find year 11 much smoother.
Reply 13
Good luck with your GCSEs guys, dont make the mistakes i made :ahee:
Reply 14
Original post by Pandora.
You can repeat the tests as many times as you like, as long as your teacher allows it :smile:.

Thankyou :smile:

Just one more question though, will we do as anymore as a class? So before going to a teacher I can try and do better on another one?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Tommy97
Thankyou :smile:

Just one more question though, will we do as a class anymore?

What do you mean? :smile:
Reply 16
What do you mean? :smile:

Do you do more speaking and listening assessment in class?
Reply 17
Original post by Tommy97
Do you do more speaking and listening assessment in class?

Oh right, sorry. No I think those are the only three S&L assessments. There are lots of other pieces of coursework though :smile:. I found them fun, at least :ninja:.
Reply 18
Oh right, sorry. No I think those are the only three S&L assessments. There are lots of other pieces of coursework though :smile:. I found them fun, at least :ninja:.

I mean like, do you do the same tests but again, maybe having a different subject?
Reply 19
Original post by Tommy97
I mean like, do you do the same tests but again, maybe having a different subject?

Oh sorry. You mean a if you wanted to re do a test? Yes, it's pretty much exactly the same but on a different subject (I think). :smile:

Latest