The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm Welsh but I mumble like a bastard, so people seem to assume I'm the right accent for whatever I'm doing at the time, e.g. American when posting a letter to America, Scottish when buying whiskey. If they can't hear you, you get to be ALL the accents :awesome:
Despite the fact that I'm not international, and this being the international lounge...

I'd say my accent is this weird mix of about 70% North West Wales and 30% RP. Since English is my second language, there's a lot less slang in it than there would normally be, so I sound quite well spoken in English.

Oh, and I speak really fast due to being Welsh and all... :awesome:
(edited 12 years ago)
I speak Manchesta!
I sound a little bit like Sean Bean trying to speak with a London accent.
Reply 84
I have a distinct Norwegian accent, and hates it. Hopefully, spending three or four years in England starting 2012 will partly eliminate this.
Just a Nottingham accent.
After a year of not speaking a word of English except for when I was speaking to Americans (as there were no British people there that I knew of) I developed an American accent. Now back at home, I have a diluted yorkshire accent, which sometimes goes American when I'm not thinking, or I'll start to pronounce words like "with" as "wiv", which I'm assuming I picked up being in Essex :h: But overall, a yorkshire accent with just some random stuff thrown in :smile:
Reply 87
Original post by tvdx
I think I speak normally, fairly well spoken and i don't say things like "fink" for think, and "sumfin" for something. I'm going to say, standard british.

Same here :colondollar:
Mish mash between posh scots and northern irish.
ITT: People confusing RP with Standard Southern English.
Reply 90
I have a London accent but my driving instructor once told me my accent sounded slightly posh mixed with in a typical west London accent. Strange.

But I love it when I spend time with my family in Ireland who all have very strong Irish accents and after spending a few weeks with them and get home there is a new, slight twang that lasts a little while. :tongue:
Yorkshire
A bizarre blend of slightly posh southern English and rural/west-country.
(edited 12 years ago)
Erm.... well I have lived in Hampshire for most of my life and some time in Berkshire. So I will have just a normal English accent that is slightly posh (but not like ridiculously posh that is the stereotype on some films).
Generic, almost neutral Accent, with North West loan words.
Reply 95
Northern Lancashire-ish, either colloquial or formal depending on the situation. However when around my parents its quite South African.
Original post by blair turgott
Erm.... well I have lived in Hampshire for most of my life and some time in Berkshire. So I will have just a normal English accent that is slightly posh (but not like ridiculously posh that is the stereotype on some films).

Same and same. I live in Hampshire too lol :biggrin:
Original post by Swanbow
Northern Lancashire-ish, either colloquial or formal depending on the situation. However when around my parents its quite South African.

I think mine is like that, save the south African, but for a lancastrian, I think I have quite a high degree of RP.
Reply 98
Northern Ireland :smile: Think more James Nesbitt and Bronagh Waugh (Cheryl from Hollyoaks) than Nadine Coyle
Reply 99
a slight brummy twang even though i live in the outskirts of the black country rather than birmingham :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending