The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

University of Dundee private accommodation

Hi guys...

I'll be doing my first year in Dundee University however I am unable to get accommodation on campus because I applied to Dundee through clearing. I've been checking out the private halls and the reviews about The Hub and Opal are very worrying.=[

I was thinking of renting a flat or studio apartment but I'm not sure which is a safe area....Any advice anyone??

Thankss....=D
Reply 1
hey, im staying in the hub first year too as dundee was my insurance and theyd run out of halls accomodation.
i havent heard anything about the opal, but i know loads of university of dundee freshers are staying at the hubs.
Ive read bad things about the hub too but to be honest, halls isnt perfect either, its what you make of it. the accomodation looks all top class brand new stuff, and you get a 3/4 double bed for the same price as halls.
forums say fire alarms go off every 10 minutes or something ridiculous, in the first week thats bound to happen, no ones been away from home, theres no one there to remind you that youve left your chips in the oven etc. it must be way over exaggerated, and im sure it will stop by the 2nd or 3rd week.
i'd say apply for the hub quickly, because we have to be there on saturday!
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice!=D Will do that. Atleast I know there are some freshers in the hub as well...
hey guys, anyone staying at the Hub, or Old Mill this year, come join us http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/groups/181407005253617/ if you want to chat about the accommodation or find some flatmates :smile:
Original post by mandy_88

Original post by mandy_88
Hi guys...

I'll be doing my first year in Dundee University however I am unable to get accommodation on campus because I applied to Dundee through clearing. I've been checking out the private halls and the reviews about The Hub and Opal are very worrying.=[

I was thinking of renting a flat or studio apartment but I'm not sure which is a safe area....Any advice anyone??

Thankss....=D

heya, just wanted to let you know you have no worries if youre applying for the hub. its lovely.

yes the fire alarms go off a fair amount the first week, but its freshers! no one cares lol. the most they ever went off in one night last year was 4 times. and no, you dont have to leave the building every time. there are two types of alarm: the "i burnt my toast" alarm and the "get out of the building we're all gonna burn!" alarm. we only had to actually go outside 4 times in the whole year last year so not to worry!

As for the actual accommodation, its lovely! nice big beds, plenty of floor/storage space, ensuites and brilliant up to date kitchens- no scrubbing plates for hours! built in internet and everything like ironing boards, hoovers, mob/bucket etc included. the only problem i can actually think of about the place is the occasionally annoying flatmate and a member of staff or two. apart from that, its an amazing place to live and perfect for the uni's and the clubs. the walls are really well soundproofed so getting sleep with noisy neighbours isnt really a problem- unless theyre banging on the floor above you! and as long as you dont break anything, there arent really any problems with the staff.

Im moving back in this year i liked it so much :smile: ... as for opal, while its not aaaassss good as the hub, plenty of my mates stayed there last year, and they all liked it well enough- a fair few of them are moving back again too.
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 5
It does!But the hub is currently full and opal 1 has a waiting list...Debating between Keiller court and Old Mill..Which one would be better?In terms of safety,facilities etc.....=]
Reply 6
well we have an empty room (maybe) on reform street. I am a freshie dentist and my mate is a second year dentist. Room is in reform street and is a really very nice flat.

Halls are a good buzz for a bit but my experience last year i reckon its better living in the city centre with all the shops.

PM me for details if interested
Reply 7
Does anybody else have any experience in the private halls (especially the hub) in Dundee?:smile:
I think the Hub is a brilliant place to stay. A bit pricey although not as expensive as halls, but compared to the others it is a bit expensive. but then again its all inclusive, so you don't have to bother with the electric/water bill/internet and stuff like that. and plus, you get sky swell. So i guess, once u put all that costs together, the hub is a pretty decently priced. Also i think it great because its really student friendly - like you get a big ass desk, and plenty of storage. i actually brought extra storage containers, and didn't really use any of them, cos the hubs got that covered. and theres a ****load of wall sockets too, so i didn't have to move appliances around etc. but i must say, as big as the bed is its quite hard. because they cover it with this thick plastic thing, i guess to keep stains out. so its a bit uncomfortable to sleep on - so i just got like a duvet cover and put it on the mattress and then put my sheets over it, and it was much more softer and comfortable. and also, the fire alarms can be quite annoying. i guess thats the one thing that everyone complains about - because it does go off quite often - and at times it lasts like for 20mins if the warden isn't there to turn it off. but its not a deal breaker - cos ill be moving back there again this year. its just annoying , but nothing you cant deal with. and alllssooooo you get your own bathroom and stuff, which although u might not think is a big of a deal or wtv - i cannot tell you how many times having ur own toilet is a life saver. because you literally can pop in and out the shower whenever, and don't have to wait on ppl etc, and you're responsible for your own mess, so its not like you're cleaning other peoples gross hair in the sink or wtv. because i think in the old mill and keiller court - you've got to share bathrooms.

IMO, the old mill is a bit dull. and the rooms and bed are a bit small. and plus uve got to share the toilet, but its much cheaper. so if you don't mind a small room/bed/ less storage/sharing the bathroom - then you should be fine.

keiller court, as pretty as it is, i feel is not as student equipped as the hub. like the desk isn't as big, and there isn't much storage place. and plus uve got to share bathrooms. and its really not worth it as you're better off getting a room in the hub, as its only a few quid more than keiller court (the price you pay weekly).

hope that helps xxx
https://www.facebook.com/groups/104236376394310/?notif_t=group_r2j

For anyone in the Hub this year (2012-2013) :smile:
Reply 10
Can I ask a few questions about the Hub. Is there internet access in all the rooms (e.g. ethernet cable or wifi?) What are the rules about posters on the walls? There don't seem to be any noticeboards in the rooms and in some of the photos that I have seen there are posters on the walls. Regarding some of the posts that I've seen, are the beds not comfy (or was that just one person's opinion?) and how often do the fire alarms go off, especially once fresher's week is past?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending