The Student Room Group
Reply 1
no idea about salaries but a maths degree is one of the best regarded assuming you have a personality to go with it.....
Reply 2
futureaussiecto
Come on then mathmo's heres where you can gloat about how a maths degree is the best regarded etc...............

ps i saw in the guardian 2004 that they were thinking of allowing mathmo's to have their debs paid by the guardian??

Ok, what kind of salaries are we talking about from the top 5 (see my other poll thread) maths departments?

Umm... why would the Guardian pay off mathematicians debts :smile: Do you mean the government?

Anyway, I reckon you should only do a degree if you enjoy the subject. I will most likely end up working in some sort of computer based job (cryptography, OS coding, programmer) but I am still going to be doing a Maths degree next year.

So why did I choose Maths rather than CS? I like Maths too much to give up any of it at degree level. I'll just do the computing modules which appeal to me, rather than doing compulsary ones which I dislike.
Reply 3
TomX
Umm... why would the Guardian pay off mathematicians debts :smile: Do you mean the government?

:biggrin: I think that must be what it is. I heard of a scheme where the government would pay the debts of maths grads who became teachers
TomX

Anyway, I reckon you should only do a degree if you enjoy the subject. I will most likely end up working in some sort of computer based job (cryptography, OS coding, programmer) but I am still going to be doing a Maths degree next year.

So why did I choose Maths rather than CS? I like Maths too much to give up any of it at degree level. I'll just do the computing modules which appeal to me, rather than doing compulsary ones which I dislike.

Hi TomX, if you can't abandon maths and think that you're gonna do an IT related job, why don't you do a joint degree Mathematics with/and Computer Science, that would prepare you better than just a signle honours Maths degree I would think
Reply 5
Pravin
Hi TomX, if you can't abandon maths and think that you're gonna do an IT related job, why don't you do a joint degree Mathematics with/and Computer Science, that would prepare you better than just a signle honours Maths degree I would think

:ditto:

Thats why im doing cs and maths instead of maths only

Latest