The Student Room Group

A levels worth it?

Okay, so i'm going back to college after a year of doing an IT apprenticeship which wasn't that great. I'm not really an academic person so the A levels I've chosen to do are, Graphic Design, Photography, Art and Design and either IT or Textiles. But I have no idea what I want to do as a career :frown: and I don't think I want to go to uni. So would having these a levels even help me??
Really need some advice!
Thanks.
Yes, employers look for people who have demonstrated they can work hard in new areas-
A-levels, especially good grades at a-levels will do this for you. Start researching possible careers and paths you would need to take...i know this is depressing work but its better to do it early. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by rebecca94
Okay, so i'm going back to college after a year of doing an IT apprenticeship which wasn't that great. I'm not really an academic person so the A levels I've chosen to do are, Graphic Design, Photography, Art and Design and either IT or Textiles. But I have no idea what I want to do as a career :frown: and I don't think I want to go to uni. So would having these a levels even help me??
Really need some advice!
Thanks.

Even if you don't have a career in mind, A-Levels are worth it if you are motivated and have nothing else to do, which it seems you don't. That's because it is free education. Make the most of it while it lasts!

Looking at your choice of A-Levels though, it occurs to me that you might also be interested in a BTEC in IT or Media Production or Art and Design.

If you want to stick with A-Levels I would suggest replacing one of those with a more traditional subject or even just a non-art subject for variety and breadth. You say you are not academic but how about (for example) Music, English Language, Sociology or Business Studies?
Reply 3
Thanks for the replys :smile:

I went to enroll at the college today, and the columns that the subjects were put into wern't that great. But i've gone for Photography, Graphic design, Computing(as ICT was in the same column as Photography. and the last one i took was Art. I know they are very art based but i am thinking id like to get into Graphic/Web design one day so i guess these would help me...
But they told me i can always change subjects within the first term.
Reply 4
Original post by rebecca94
Thanks for the replys :smile:

I went to enroll at the college today, and the columns that the subjects were put into wern't that great. But i've gone for Photography, Graphic design, Computing(as ICT was in the same column as Photography. and the last one i took was Art. I know they are very art based but i am thinking id like to get into Graphic/Web design one day so i guess these would help me...
But they told me i can always change subjects within the first term.

It's a very narrow choice but if you're happy with it..

You may be in for a bit of a shock with Computing though if you don't like Maths. It is not at all like ICT.

Quick Reply

Latest