The Student Room Group

NHS Graduate Scheme 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hi everyone,

Just found this thread a few minutes ago- had been looking for one for a while! :biggrin: Thought I'd pitch in to say good luck to everyone! I've applied for the GM scheme, but can't for the life of me remember which regions I chose. :frown: I'm from Northern Ireland and I'm keen to relocate to anywhere, so having done so many applications for so many schemes, I start to get muddled about where I could end up. Fingers crossed!
Reply 81
There is a separate NI scheme if I am not mistaken. And a Scotland one for that matter. Both still open. The Wales one is closed.
Reply 82
Ah right, I didn't realise there was one for NI too. I'm pretty keen not to go back there, but I might give it a look, just to have another option. Thanks :smile:
Hi,

I started on the NHS Graduate Scheme in September this year, really enjoying the job so far. If you get past the interview stage you get the opportunity to review your location choices so don't worry if you put down the wrong ones.

Also, there is a a London salary increase (it does specify this on the website) and even though I'm not based there, it is enough to live there comfortably.

Good luck for the applications! It is competitive but worth it :smile:
Reply 84
Original post by Rat_Bag
There is a difference between a strive to do your best and reach your potential, and competitive drive to do better than those around you. The latter can be well harnessed in the private sector because of the way it is structured, but can be very destructive in the public sector (both in the way these people work, but also in the way that public sector culture is shifted to being more corporate like the private sector, which isn't necessarily for the benefit of the actual goals of public service delivery.

Yes, and a huge proportion of doctors have personalities totally unsuited to the medical profession. But this isn't the point. Many people excel in their education assessments not for a competitive drive, but for a self actualisation of their best potential and ability. These are two very different motivations, and even though they may achieve the same outcome in assessments, they will be very different individuals in the workplace (which sort of highlights one of the deficiencies of bench marking individuals' general ability by their ability to pass exams)

Good post. Completely agree except I think more elements of the public sector should be run in a similar manner to corporations as corporate culture promotes cost minimisation and implies are more efficient use of tax payer's money and thus a competitive mentality might be beneficial.
Reply 85
I've been meaning to apply for the scheme for a while but only remembered about it a few days ago, then technical problems with the site meant my application only managed to get through this evening. Now it says I have to do the verbal and numerical reasoning tests before being sent the links to the next two, which I have to complete by the 12th. But does that include the verbal and numerical reasoning ones, or do they form part of the application generally? Only applications close tomorrow morning so I don't want to not do them for a couple of days and so miss out, but equally it's pretty late and I don't think I'd do my best at all if I took them now or early tomorrow morning. Does anyone know what the deadline for the first two tests are?

Thanks for the help and good luck to everyone who's already applied!

ETA - figured I might as well do it anyway, obviously didn't completely crash and burn as I've been given access to the next two so will do those in a couple of days when I'm less tired!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by paykanti
Second time applicant, here (also applied last year, didn't get past interview stage).

Just completed the application + 4 tests. Currently have tonsillitis so performance for the tests wasn't at 100% but everything was fairly standard.

An important note for first time applicants, try and read last years (and any further ones) thread to get a good grasp of the entire process. And yes, the facebook group is the best resource for up to date information.

Best of luck!

I realise I stated above that I did the 4 tests but I'm now thinking I may have only done the verbal and numerical. There's no direct way of checking if I have done them or not, right? (website section is shut and email correspondence is inconclusive) What a shambles. Ah well, will just have to wait and see if I did them or not :biggrin:

And to add some purpose to this rant; for those who aren't following the facebook page:

We will let all applicants know the outcomes of their applications and online tests week commencing 16th January.
Reply 87
UPDATE FROM FACEBOOK PAGE

NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme
This week we will be sending out the invitations to interviews. Please be patient, as this will be a staged process and we’ll be taking our time as we want to get it right!

Keep an eye on facebook and your emails for updates, and bear the following in mind:

- If you are invited to interview, please book your slot online as directed as soon as possible.

- If you are invited to interview but no longer want to attend, please let us know as soon as possible, as we can offer your space to someone else (this also applies if you book a slot but then decide you will not be attending).

- Some candidates will be put on a reserve list for the interviews if this applies to you, we’d ask you to keep dates free to attend at short notice where possible, as we do get last minute drop outs.

We should have let absolutely everyone know the outcome of the online test stage by the end of this week. Good luck!
It's going to be a long week...
Reply 89
Original post by coolh5000
It's going to be a long week...

most definitely!
Just got an email, I have an interview!! Yay!! :biggrin:
Reply 91
Congrats! :biggrin:
This is going to be a long week. :frown:
Reply 92
I have applied for the HR scheme - sooo nervous about this week. I so badly want an interview! :frown:
Reply 93
Original post by laura130490

Was it the informatics you applied for?
Original post by missbows88
Was it the informatics you applied for?

It was :smile:
Original post by chester.
Congrats! :biggrin:
This is going to be a long week. :frown:

Thank you :smile: I hope you all hear something soon.
Reply 96
Having looked at a forum for NHS grad scheme for last year it appears the longer we wait to hear the less chance we have of being offered an interview. They appear to leave rejections until the last minute. So nervous but have kind of prepared myself for the worst :frown:
Reply 97
I've been offered an interview! So excited. Best of luck to you all.
Reply 98
Original post by missbows88
Having looked at a forum for NHS grad scheme for last year it appears the longer we wait to hear the less chance we have of being offered an interview. They appear to leave rejections until the last minute. So nervous but have kind of prepared myself for the worst :frown:

Not what I wanted to hear at all. :frown: Best of luck!
And congrats to those that have offers! :biggrin:
Original post by laura130490

Same, for Finance :smile:

It said on the e-mail I got after the fourth test that the picking process wouldn't begin until tomorrow; so I am going to find the Facebook page now for more up to date news for future use.

Good Luck to all of those still waiting. It is a staged process because I only received my mail this morning whereas others received theirs yesterday.

Best wishes.

Quick Reply

Latest