The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Management or Business with Economics at OU

Im trying to decide on the final degree to work towards with the OU modules I am doing presently. Right now its Leadership and Management, but I am tempted by the Business with Economics option. Ultimately I aim to go on to do a graduate diploma in Economics and then Masters in Economics and Public Policy (with MBA slightly later). Interested to just know opinions. This added Economics focus isnt possible with the Management degree.
Reply 1
I'm not doing these courses but...if I was an employer I'd be more impressed with someone who had studied a specific academic subject such as economics. By doing economics, it shows maths ability and knowledge of how to apply it to the world of business. I think business with accountancy might be even more useful as it may help if you wanted to go the accountancy route.

For me management and business degrees on their own are a bit fluffy. You can't be sure such graduates actually know anything! (waits for leadership and management grads to give him grief!! :smile:) The only pure management course worth doing is the MBA because many companies expect this from driven people trying to get on. And the OU's is the most popular in the country.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
I remember reading somewhere that Business/Finance/Accountancy knowledge lasts a few years, whereas Economics lasts a whole career.

However I would say that, as I studied Economics.

I am sure that a more vocational course has advantages, especially if there are exemptions or overlap from industry exams.

If you want to do an MSc in Economics then you really should do a BSc with a good amount of Economics content.

MSc Economics seems to be a very competitive course at most universities, some asking for a 1st class undergraduate degree just to apply. It is also one of the most expensive (but still cheaper than Finance, or Financial Economics).
Reply 3
Surprised that MSc Economics and financial spin-offs are so popular. Is this people trying to get jobs in the City?
It is probably people looking at which industries are still recruiting.

I was speaking to someone the other week from another part of Europe and they said that the UK's main exports are 'Guns, Drugs and Money'.

Or rather, defence, pharmaceuticals and financial services.
Reply 5
Sounds very plausible! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending