The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WillH25
I have looked at the relevant posts and such with regards to GCSE grades and getting an interview at Oxford to study English Language and Literature, but none specifically related to my situation. So, I thought there wouldn't be any harm in asking in a new thread.

I realise that GCSE's are not the whole picture and that a lot more emphasis is placed on the personal statement, AS grades and the ELAT test, but my GCSE grades really weren't that great and I think that it could seriously harm my chances of even getting an interview.

I got 5A*'s, 3A's, but a 1B, 1C, and crucially 1D. (Bad grades in D.T., Art and Spanish respectively.)

However, at AS level I got:

English literature: A with 94.5%
History: A with 95%
Classical Civilisation: A with 99%
Physics: A with 85.5333...%

As you can see, the problem is that I never really did any work at GCSE, and when I actually revised for AS levels I did much better, but is it enough? What I mean is, is it worth getting my hopes up and spending valuable time practising the ELAT for what could be no good reason.

Cheers for any help or advice,

Will

A great thing about Oxford is that careful attention can be paid to each application, there isn't a computer that automatically rules you out. Your AS results show you're a strong applicant.

You've got the ELAT and written work (and hopefully interview) to show your GCSE results are the best indication of your ability.
Original post by L_Hemming
I was just wondering whether I have ruined my chances for applying to Oxford to do law as my AS grades were not what I expected.

I got:

Geography A
History C
Maths D

I'm retaking one history paper and all three maths papers- hopefully to get history up to an A and maths up to a B.

My predicted grades are:

Geography A*
English Literature A*
History B/A
Maths B
EPQ A*

Thanks

What about your AS English?

It looks unlikely you're going to get AAA at A level, which is the required level. You might be able to convince the tutors of your ability through doing really well at the LNAT, but I think they'd be hesitant about your ability to go on to get AAA.
Original post by The Lord
Would I have a chance of an offer if applying for French?

GCSEs: 5A*s, 4As, 1B (in History)
AS results: 4As (including full UMS in French) and a B (in English Literature)
I'm also doing an EPQ (French-related) but don't have the predicted grade yet; I'm hoping to be predicted an A or A*.

My worry is that the B in English Lit would get me turned down, what with French being a fairly literature-heavy course. What are your thoughts?

You're right that the Oxford language courses are very literature heavy, but I don't think the one B would rule you out from getting an offer :smile:
Original post by fluteflute
What about your AS English?

It looks unlikely you're going to get AAA at A level, which is the required level. You might be able to convince the tutors of your ability through doing really well at the LNAT, but I think they'd be hesitant about your ability to go on to get AAA.

I do a linear course for English literature. So would it be better to apply in my gap year if I get my predicted grades?
Original post by L_Hemming
I do a linear course for English literature. So would it be better to apply in my gap year if I get my predicted grades?

If you're planning to take a gap year, yes, having AAA already would be a much better position than your current situation.

(Although if you're planning a gap year, you arguably may as well apply now, just to get some experience of the process...)
Hey there,
I'd like to study biology at Oxford, and I was wondering if my (I)GCSE results looked ok enough

5A*s- English Lit& Lang, Latin Lit& Lang, and French
4As- Biology, Chemistry, Spanish, Geography
3Bs- Maths, Physics, ICT(IGCSE Shortcourse)

I was wondering if it would look bad since I didn't get the A*s in my sciences, however I'm getting my
Biology, Chemistry and Spanish remarked as they were all REALLY close to the A* boundary.
Do you think that they are good enough for Oxford? Or does it really matter that I got an A in Biology, and a B in maths?

P.S I go to a private school, and I know lots of people who got straight A*s- do my grades look bad if weighted against the school?
Reply 4966
Would my GCSE's put me down? I got 3 A*'s (in Physics, Maths and R.E), 6 A's, 1 B and 1D.
I also have 4A's in Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Biology, with my Polish result pending (school refusing to give my results until September).
How likely are my chances for an interview/offer?
Original post by TheECY98
Hey there,
I'd like to study biology at Oxford, and I was wondering if my (I)GCSE results looked ok enough

I was wondering if it would look bad since I didn't get the A*s in my sciences, however I'm getting my
Biology, Chemistry and Spanish remarked as they were all REALLY close to the A* boundary.
Do you think that they are good enough for Oxford? Or does it really matter that I got an A in Biology, and a B in maths?

P.S I go to a private school, and I know lots of people who got straight A*s- do my grades look bad if weighted against the school?

Original post by TheECY98
Hey there,

They're definitely not ideal grades - for example the course has a mathematical component that you might struggle with. It's possible you could still get a place, you can't know without applying, but at the moment it doesn't seem that likely. But wait a year and see whether your AS grades show improvement :smile:

(and yes, your grades are to some degree compared to other people at your school)
Original post by xKKT
Would my GCSE's put me down? I got 3 A*'s (in Physics, Maths and R.E), 6 A's, 1 B and 1D.
I also have 4A's in Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Biology, with my Polish result pending (school refusing to give my results until September).
How likely are my chances for an interview/offer?

Which course do you want to apply for?
Reply 4969
Can I do PPE @ Oxford with a B in both GCSE history and maths?

I got 7A* (physics, eng lit, eng lang, french, biology, RS and DT:RM) and 1A (chemistry) and 3Bs (History, maths and further maths). I'm planning to take Eng lit, Philosophy and Ethics and French and Economics at AS which I'll work super hard at isA. Can i get into oxford with the Bs in GCSE maths and history?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fs1
title is pretty self explanatory. I got 7A* (physics, eng lit, eng lang, french, biology, RS and DT:RM) and 1A (chemistry) and 3Bs (History, maths and further maths). I'm planning to take Eng lit, Philosophy and Ethics and French and Economics at AS which I'll work super hard at isA. Can i get into oxford with the Bs in GCSE maths and history?

Oxford tends to focus quite a lot on GCSEs, more than most other universities. They also state that an aptitude for Maths is required for the Economics part of the course (they rather like Maths AS level). If you're taking Maths to AS level they may be OK with the B at GCSE but otherwise I would apply elsewhere.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4971
Which course do you want to apply for?

Probably Physics. I am also considering Chemistry, although it seems much less likely that I will take that as my results kind of sucked
Hmm, I got 6 A*s 3A's and 1 B at GCSE but I also go to a private school where even though I'm well above average there were people getting 8-10 A*s. How would this affect my application. I also got 4A's at AS in Maths, physics, history and economics (89UMS Average). I would like to read PPE btw
Any help would be appreciated! ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by colourtheory
The HAT is actually a pretty difficult paper so I would really recommend practicing it before hand; question 1, for example, requires that you answer in less than 14 lines. There is also a general essay question which needs to be answered with precise detail and factual knowledge etc. It's therefore best to quickly revise your AS modules before sitting the exam as you can use that information to answer the question. In terms of reading I didn't do a ton but I did make sure that there was shape to my reading; erratically reading around various points in history doesn't show the progression they are looking for. :smile: best of luck!

Thank you! Hope history at oxford is amazing for you! :smile:
They're definitely not ideal grades - for example the course has a mathematical component that you might struggle with. It's possible you could still get a place, you can't know without applying, but at the moment it doesn't seem that likely. But wait a year and see whether your AS grades show improvement :smile:

(and yes, your grades are to some degree compared to other people at your school)

Awww ok- I'll see if my grades change through the remark, but thanks anyway for the advice.

Also I plan to do Biology and Chemistry at A-level, but do you know the proportion of applicants to Oxford for biology that have Maths at A-level?

I know that the oxford website only specifies that Biology A-level is needed, but of course I know that almost all the applicants will have other sciences at a-level too. Do you also know anything about the statistics modules they do in the degree?

Thank you
Original post by aishah026
Thank you! Hope history at oxford is amazing for you! :smile:

Thank you so much :smile: I wish you all the best with you applications :biggrin:
I'm wanting to read PPE at Oxford, but this year at AS I got 3 As (in Maths, Chemistry and Economics) and a B in Philosophy. Very few people got higher than a B in my college for phil, and it is a high B (5 UMS off an A) but still, a B.

Would I still have a chance if I applied this year or would it be an idea to take a gap year and apply next year, when I've hopefully got the complete A-Levels wanted?

My GCSE grades were highest in my high school, with 10 A* and 1 A, and I'm also doing an extended project this year, something to do with human rights etc.

Thanks
I'd love to do either English or combined English and History at Oxford but got 5A*s and 5As the other day - I was predicted 7A*s and 2 or 3 Bs. Two questions: are these grades going to weaken my application or is there still a small chance and it worth me applying? Is it better to get straight A*s and As or a few more A*s with Bs and Cs? :smile:
I would like to apply for Oriental Studies in 2016. I just received my GCSE results and achieved 7 A*s, 2 As and a B in Drama. However, as my school achieved 81% A* grades, would I be seen as a weak candidate? Should I get my Drama GCSE remarked as I am told that they would remark it and take into account the fact that I have Asperger's, something they did not do before? Or shall I just focus on my AS Levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am international student looking to apply for engineering but Have studied in the UK for 9 years.

My GCSEs are very very bad A*AAAC (C in English) and rest are BTECs. My school was under performing.

I obtained AAAA in AS-level and in my A2 I got A* in Maths, A* in Physics, A in Chemistry and B in Biology.

Lots of work experience which unfortunately in health care sector and I also went to a very very under performing sixth form with 0% students receiving AAB or above and many years students don't even get an A in A-level.

I am also considering the possibility of doing AS Futher Maths in my gap year which should come out as an A.

My UMS isnt great at all. Do you guys think I even have a chance in Cambridge or Oxford or even Imperial college london? Please Advice me guys.

Latest

Trending

Trending