The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Edminzodo
I'm aiming for an A! Have you met any Egyptology students in Oxford? And I think it was 86% for Oriental Studies last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep one of my good friends is one of the 2 in my year studying it :smile:
Original post by Lucilou101
Yep one of my good friends is one of the 2 in my year studying it :smile:

Ooh, awesome! Can you tell me any more about it as I haven't found anyone on TSR doing it? Do they like it? And are they the only one?
Ooh, awesome! Can you tell me any more about it as I haven't found anyone on TSR doing it? Do they like it? And are they the only one?

The only one in Univ yup! The other person is at.. Harris Manchester I think?

As far as I'm aware she likes it :P If you have any questions you can PM me and I'll send them to her and give you her replies :smile:
The only one in Univ yup! The other person is at.. Harris Manchester I think?

As far as I'm aware she likes it :P If you have any questions you can PM me and I'll send them to her and give you her replies :smile:

Wow! I knew there wouldn't be many, but only two?! Gosh! Hopefully it shall be three one day! And thank you so much! I hope she won't mind. I'll type some up!
Wow! I knew there wouldn't be many, but only two?! Gosh! Hopefully it shall be three one day! And thank you so much! I hope she won't mind. I'll type some up!

That's just in my year :smile: I presume there's some in the years above!
That's just in my year :smile: I presume there's some in the years above!

I'll send you the questions soon. And I assume so, but I don't think that there are many!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5466

Hello Edminzodo! I just stumbled across this thread, and I happen to be the other first-year Egyptologist (the first being Lucilou's friend)! :biggrin: I don't think I can give you much advice about AS/A2 grades because I'm an international student with a different set of qualifications, but feel free to drop me a PM if you have any questions about the course (or at least the first term of it... :P).
Original post by Sorbet
Hello Edminzodo! I just stumbled across this thread, and I happen to be the other first-year Egyptologist (the first being Lucilou's friend)! :biggrin: I don't think I can give you much advice about AS/A2 grades because I'm an international student with a different set of qualifications, but feel free to drop me a PM if you have any questions about the course (or at least the first term of it... :P).

I sent you a PM.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5468
I'm an international student trying to apply myself in Oxford University for my Masters hopefully after graduating from my current University in the Middle East.

Im questioning whether my qualifications are met with Oxfords requirements.

In Singapore, my home country, i graduated from a private school and received a Pre-University cert in Arabic and Islamic studies (instead of A levels) and excelled getting 4 Excellent and 6 Very Good grades.

But still not up to par with those that i'll be competing with to get into the department that i'm eyeing for; Oriental Studies.

They are asking for A Level results and as i mentioned, i only have Pre-U and my current Graduate cert so can i still apply myself?

and even if, do i have a chance of getting in?

Thank you. ☺️
I'm hoping to apply to study PPE at univ, but I'm slightly conserned that my GCSE results (which didn't go as well as I hoped) will hinder my chances of acceptance. I am aware there are students at Oxford with only 1 or 2 GCSE A*'s to hold to their name but from talking to a number and looking on forums like this, the majority seem to have upwards of 5A*. I'm also aware that GCSE performance is not as important for the humanities as it is for Medicine for example, but still, will my results hinder my chances of getting an interview? Oxford is my first choice but input from anyone with experience of apply to places like Durham, York, UCL would be appreciated :smile: My results were: 2A*,7A,2B.
Reply 5470
Original post by lordingrams
I'm hoping to apply to study PPE at univ, but I'm slightly conserned that my GCSE results (which didn't go as well as I hoped) will hinder my chances of acceptance. I am aware there are students at Oxford with only 1 or 2 GCSE A*'s to hold to their name but from talking to a number and looking on forums like this, the majority seem to have upwards of 5A*. I'm also aware that GCSE performance is not as important for the humanities as it is for Medicine for example, but still, will my results hinder my chances of getting an interview? Oxford is my first choice but input from anyone with experience of apply to places like Durham, York, UCL would be appreciated :smile: My results were: 2A*,7A,2B.

You'll be competing with people with on average 6+a*s so your results will definitely hinder your chances at Oxford. As you'll be at a disadvantage in this part of your application you'd have to beat them in other areas which means a very high tsa (entrance exam) score and all a's AS and high ums which you could get your teacher to write about in your reference. It all depends on your AS results, if you get all As you have a decent chance of Durham and UCL (York would be possibly be okay with only two a's at AS) but anything less than 3a's would make it harder to get a place at Durham/UCL and nearly impossible for Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there really that much of difference between 5A*s and 8? I had 5 A*s before remarks and now have 8 and its strange to think that the subjectivity of marking could have made a significant difference to the strength of my application.

(5A*s 5As 1B to 8A*s 2As 1B)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by stephen1126
Is there really that much of difference between 5A*s and 8? I had 5 A*s before remarks and now have 8 and its strange to think that the subjectivity of marking could have made a significant difference to the strength of my application.

I would say it's quite a significant difference. The lowest GCSE grades of offer holders for Oxford medicine are 8A*s. 5A*s are half the GCSE grades of the average person who received an offer, which are 10A*s whereas 8 is just 2 off and can be justified if you go to a low-performing school. Also Birmingham med school would not even consider you if you had anything less than 8A*s. Sorry to be giving medicine examples, it's the only course I've researched into.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's unfortunate, there were a few papers I'd have remarked had I had the money. C'est la vie
Original post by lordingrams

Don't get too caught up thinking about the exact number of A* grades you have. Outside of Medicine, if you have mostly A and A* grades then you probably have a chance. Most successful applicants will have more A* grades than you, but certainly not all.

This is the general rule (no matter what your grades is): apply to Oxford, you might get in and have nothing to loose from applying, but equally don't set you heart on it, because it is competitve and there are only so many spaces.

I doubt it would make that much of a difference in most cases. GCSEs are just one part of an application, there are well over half a dozen other bits of information the tutors have.
Hi, just wondering I got 7 A*s and 4 As ( I went to a private school where around 6 people each year get over 9 A*s, but am not at a state sixth form college) at GCSEs and I'm thinking about applying to law at Oxford, are those grades enough for GCSEs, obviously it depends on as results as well?
My son got 7 a* and 4 a's and 4 A's at as. He watched his father die from cancer in hospital and had to sit GCSEs during and after his death. He sat maths on the day he died and physics on the day of his funeral and helped carry the coffin 1 hour later. My son was predicted 11a*. Oxford rejected him for interview. He was devastated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cholesta
My son got 7 a* and 4 a's and 4 A's at as. He watched his father die from cancer in hospital and had to sit GCSEs during and after his death. He sat maths on the day he died and physics on the day of his funeral and helped carry the coffin 1 hour later. My son was predicted 11a*. Oxford rejected him for interview. He was devastated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did he apply for?
Original post by Noble.
What did he apply for?

Who are you?
Original post by Cholesta
Who are you?

A current student wondering which subject he was rejected for without an interview...

Latest

Trending

Trending