The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Handwritingman
Hi
Sorry to sound like an obnoxious cock but my minds being irrational
I got 9 A stars and B in arabic today.Is that good enough for Oxford Classics?

They are fine and will satisfy the requirements. That B will not affect you that much!

Work on you A levels and than you could apply
Original post by roarchika
Most definitely! Are you applying for the 3 or 4 year course?

4 years
I'm thinking of archaeology and anthropology.
Gcses were 6A* 6A at a school with under average gcse results for my year.
AS were A econ A geo B english lit. C history. I got an A in one module and a D in the other for history so will have to resit that one. Overall AABC at AS.
Do Oxford look at AS?
4 years

OK, then you might want to make sure you can show a strong and continued interest in Classics over the next two years :smile:
I am wanting to apply to Law. My GCSE grades were 6A*s, 4As and a C (music) - these were above average at my school and only a handful of people did better. For As, I have AABB with an A in Law and the possibility for a remark to boost me to AAAB. In an LNAT practice paper I did, I scored 29 out of 42 (last years' average was 23). Does it look like I have a decent shot?
I got 7a* 2a and 1b (econ). I want to study law. Can i get in?
Original post by roarchika
OK, then you might want to make sure you can show a strong and continued interest in Classics over the next two years :smile:

How should I do that?
Hi everyone. I have 10A*s and 1 A at GCSE but I got AABD in Biology, Geography, Chemistry and Maths at AS Level. My predicted grades for A Level are A*A*A in Biology, Geography and Chemistry respectively. I'm hoping to apply for medicine. I know there are AS reforms this year so it might be harder to tell but do my AS mean I have no chance for Oxford?
Original post by DanielSmith1999
I'm thinking of archaeology and anthropology.
Gcses were 6A* 6A at a school with under average gcse results for my year.
AS were A econ A geo B english lit. C history. I got an A in one module and a D in the other for history so will have to resit that one. Overall AABC at AS.
Do Oxford look at AS?

I got the same grades at AS and received an offer for History. Your predicted A2 grades are more significant (A*AA... if your school predict you higher than that the prediction will look unrealistic and will thus weaken your application)
Original post by Kiran1107
Hi everyone. I have 10A*s and 1 A at GCSE but I got AABD in Biology, Geography, Chemistry and Maths at AS Level. My predicted grades for A Level are A*A*A in Biology, Geography and Chemistry respectively. I'm hoping to apply for medicine. I know there are AS reforms this year so it might be harder to tell but do my AS mean I have no chance for Oxford?

You'll be at a disadvantage if you don't do maths for A level
I got 7 A*s and 4 As. Truthfully, I was hoping for all A*s but simply because I know how fierce the competition is for universities like Oxbridge.

I am taking English Literature, History, Maths and Economics at A-Level; I did get an A in my History which I blame on horrific teaching.

I want to study Law at Oxford (their minimum requirement at A-Level is AAA).

Do you think I would stand a reasonable chance?

I am not a troll, just wondering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How should I do that?

Read texts, try teaching yourself some Latin or Greek (John Taylor's books, the Literacy Through Latin scheme, the Cambridge Latin Course: umpteen methods exist), go to classical events - if you live near Oxford, the Iris Project puts on a free Classics festival every year around February, and also does a bunch of free evening classes for classics stuff, so they're really helpful. Maybe learn about some ancient history (if you're the type who likes gathering qualifications, perhaps you could self-study and sit a GCSE in it?). There's a whole bunch of stuff you can do!
Original post by zoeolo
I got 7 A*s and 4 As. Truthfully, I was hoping for all A*s but simply because I know how fierce the competition is for universities like Oxbridge.

I am taking English Literature, History, Maths and Economics at A-Level; I did get an A in my History which I blame on horrific teaching.

I want to study Law at Oxford (their minimum requirement at A-Level is AAA).

Do you think I would stand a reasonable chance?

I am not a troll, just wondering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looks promising - once school starts, work hard on your A Levels and nearer the time, start preparing for the LNAT :yes:
Applying to study Chemistry hopefully, I thought I might as well give it a shot since I love chemistry and I feel like it's worth taking a gamble with Oxford (provided I can do well at interview and on their TSA).

At GCSE I got 6A*'s 3A's and 3B's
At AS I got an A in A2 maths, but only the AS has been cached in to give me an A there.
An A in AS Chemistry
And a B in AS Physics

I got 500 UMS in maths, with 90 in c3 and 76 in c4, so will be resitting c4 at least - I didnt revise this year, and with lots of practice + all the maths I will do in further maths should help me.

I've also done a lot for Chemistry.
I have a silver in the Cambridge chemistry challenge, participated in the RSC schools analyst competition, attempted olympiad a year early, did a cambridge chem masterclass, also done a decent amount of further reading/study - only thing im struggling with is putting it all into my personal statement.

What do you guys think? How much of a chance do I stand :tongue:
Hi! I'm currently studying Linguistics and Comparative Literature at Queen Mary, University of London, which is an RG. I'm on course for a 67, and got 63 and 65 in my first and second year respectively, which I know is below par for Oxford. However, in my first year, my health deteriorated and I was hospitalised about six times, and in my second year, I had a baby. I still managed to get high 2.1s and firsts in my relevant modules, and even handed in an assignment two days after my son was born (and only asked for an extension for one assignment, which I think shows dedication and an ability to handle a high workload) I hope to apply for Mst in General Linguistics, but given that most will be applying with a higher degree classification than I, is it a wasted application? Thank you
Course: Biomedical Science

GCSE: 7A*, 2A, C in PE LOL

AS Level: Maths- A(91UMS), Chemistry- A(86UMS), Bio- A(87UMS), Economics- A(93UMS)

A-Level Predicted: A*A*A*A* or A*A*A*A

:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm trying to decide whether to apply for PPE at Oxford

In terms of grades I am strong (10A*s at GCSE and all A's at AS with high UMS) but I know how important the TSA is..

I'm not getting great scores in it, my past three scores have gone 63.6 60.8 and 56.7

Clearly the last one is terrible and would be a guaranteed rejection without interview

I don't know which of those scores are the best indicator of my ability

What should I do? Should I apply anyway even though I have a history of poor TSA scores?

Thanks for any advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anna.Karenina
Hi! I'm currently studying Linguistics and Comparative Literature at Queen Mary, University of London, which is an RG. I'm on course for a 67, and got 63 and 65 in my first and second year respectively, which I know is below par for Oxford. However, in my first year, my health deteriorated and I was hospitalised about six times, and in my second year, I had a baby. I still managed to get high 2.1s and firsts in my relevant modules, and even handed in an assignment two days after my son was born (and only asked for an extension for one assignment, which I think shows dedication and an ability to handle a high workload) I hope to apply for Mst in General Linguistics, but given that most will be applying with a higher degree classification than I, is it a wasted application? Thank you

I can't really offer much help, but thought I'd mention that most here will be asking about undergraduate admissions and so you might not find the help you're looking for.

For what it's worth, I did apply for a graduate place at Oxford (for a DPhil programme) so have at least been through the system. Graduate applications vary wildly depending on the subject and whether the course is taught or research based, so I can't offer you any help on that side. I think Oxford's standing for grad entry is that you need to have a minimum of a first or high upper second-class degree, though most successful applicants do tend to have first-class degrees. That's not to say that you shouldn't apply, but should be aware that there is every chance that you won't be successful. If you have a strong upper second, there may be other parts of the application where you can shine and show your academic ability and interest? (You'd have to check what the application is like for this particular course). You should also consider that Oxford charges £75 per application for graduate degrees, so it isn't the cheapest decision to make!
Hi guys.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I am a bit unsure about my AS/A Level choices.

So, I want to go into either Medicine (most likely) or Finance (Accountant, Actuary, Investment Banker etc.).

I got all A*s in my GCSEs (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths, Geography, Spanish, French and Latin) except for English Language and English Literature, in which I got As.

So, for A Levels (well AS this year as soon as I start year 12), I have chosen 5 AS/A Levels:

Chemistry
Biology
Maths
Latin
Spanish

But I have been thinking that these may be a bit too much lately as I am seeing threads with people saying in the past to only take 4. The thing is, for Medicine, I need the Sciences and Maths, but I also really enjoy both languages so I don't know which to drop... is it worth doing all 5 subjects or will it just be too much work? And if I do 5 subjects, will I not get any free periods?

And finally, which language is more useful, Latin, French or Spanish for Medicine/Finance? Should I swap one to Further Maths?

Haha I know there's a lot of questions and I'm starting to really overthink the situation so I would be grateful if someone could help me out.. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's more important at Oxford:
(Maths course specifically if that makes a difference)

Number of A*s at GCSE or percentage of A*s?

Also how is your percentage calculated? In Terms of short course GCSEs and exams taken early?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending