The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

For A-level I got A*A*A*A but have average GCSE grades (AAAAAABBBC). I'm taking a gap year and am now applying for courses for 2017 entry, would I stand a strong chance at getting a place? I know this may seem ridiculous to ask, but I know it's a very competitive course and many people probably apply with the same A-levels and straight A*s at GCSE. I don't have any extenuating circumstances, I went to a good school where I did about average in the year because I didn't try. I also don't have maths so would it be worth taking AS or A2 maths this year?

Course: PPE
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 100years
For A-level I got A*A*A*A but have average GCSE grades (AAAAAABBBC). I'm taking a gap year and am now applying for courses for 2017 entry, would I stand a strong chance at getting a place? I know this may seem ridiculous to ask, but I know it's a very competitive course and many people probably apply with the same A-levels and straight A*s at GCSE. I don't have any extenuating circumstances, I went to a good school where I did about average in the year because I didn't try. I also don't have maths so would it be worth taking AS or A2 maths this year?

With the Maths thing - what are you applying for?
Original post by Ahmedelkafrawy99
Are my grades good enough to apply to oxbridge computer science ?I got 5 A*s 1 A 4Bs in GCSE4 As with avg 85% UMS in ASI only want to know if this is enought to get an interview only ? I am doing some online courses held by MIT on the internet and using various websites to improve my personal statment

We really don't put much weight on GCSEs for Computer Science at Oxford. The MAT and interviews are the most important. Your USMs are a little low: we would need to be convinced that you would make the standard offer.

Gavin
Hi, realistically, is it worth applying for Theology or Philosophy and Theology with AABB (hopefully getting remarks to AAA) with confirmed A2 predictions of A*A*A*? Also a hopeful A* in my EPQ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by such_a_lady
With the Maths thing - what are you applying for?

PPE, sorry I didn't realise I didn't mention the course
Original post by Reaver Daniels
Hi, realistically, is it worth applying for Theology or Philosophy and Theology with AABB (hopefully getting remarks to AAA) with confirmed A2 predictions of A*A*A*? Also a hopeful A* in my EPQ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As I believe I've said more than once, it's worth a shot if all other aspects of your profile are strong. Stop worrying so much! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 100years

Course: PPE

Once you have your A levels (esp 3 A*) your GCSEs are almost irrelevant (though if there were particular reasons for your Bs & Cs you could use a sentence in your PS to mention them).

Not having maths is something of a disadvantage for both admission & 1st year econ modules, so doing something along the AS lines in math couldn't hurt & might help.

None the less, no way to say what your chances are, b/c the TSA is so big for getting to interview, and the interview is so big for getting an offer.
I got 8A*s and 2As and want to apply for medicine. Do u you think these grades are good enough to apply?
Original post by Skool123
I got 8A*s and 2As and want to apply for medicine. Do u you think these grades are good enough to apply?

I'm no expert in this but I think that's bang on the recommended percentage of A* ratio (80%). So if you think you can get a strong BMAT score, that would probs get you to interview. Obviously though you have to make such decisions carefully, as you only have 4 places to put down for medicine and it's so difficult to get an offer from any uni first time round :yes:
I have 9A*s and 2As and am thinking of applying to medicine. Are these grades good enough for me to stand a realistic chance considering that I also come from a high-performing school in terms of GCSEs and I fall just above the average mark, but am not in the top-performing group of the school?
Applying for Economics and Management

I took Economics AS (A), Psychology AS (A) and the full Maths A Level (A, but I'm thinking of retaking C3 and C4 to get an A*) in year 12.
I'm taking the full further maths A level in year 13.

So that's 3As at AS level, I didn't do GSCEs before that but I did a different course in which I received 4A+, 5A

Also, for my Maths A level, I only received a 84 UMS average, would that be alright? My C4 was in the 60s so that brought down the average grade by a lot
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi there,

If I am predicted AAA at A-level (the requirement for PPE) but achieved BBC at AS, I want an absolute confirmation that there's zero point applying. I want to avoid an embarrassing conversation with my Head of Year who recently politely suggested I bow out of our school's Oxbridge prep program along with others who underachieved. I know it's highly unlikely I would get in, but I don't know if I now should go through the hassle of getting her agreement to apply there just in case. My overwhelming gut feeling is it would be utterly futile, but there's just a small part of me that says do it anyway for the bants.
Are mine good enough for economics and management at Oxford?
GCSE:A*A*AAAABBD
AS:AAAA in Maths, Computing,Economics and Biology
88% UMS avg in AS Maths
Predicted:A*AA in economics, Maths and Biology
Just wanted to know whether there's any point applying
Hi, would anyone tell me if my grades are good enough for PPE at Oxford?

GCSE - 8 A*, 2 As.
AS - AAAA in Maths, History, RS, Economics
Predicted - A*A*A* in Maths, RS and Economics

Thank you :confused:
Original post by Whasupman
Hi, would anyone tell me if my grades are good enough for PPE at Oxford?

GCSE - 8 A*, 2 As.
AS - AAAA in Maths, History, RS, Economics
Predicted - A*A*A* in Maths, RS and Economics

Thank you :confused:

Looks promising. Swot up for the TSA now! :work:
9 A* 1A^ (f. Maths gcse) and 2As. Oxbridge application likely to be successful?
Original post by RedSquirrels
9 A* 1A^ (f. Maths gcse) and 2As. Oxbridge application likely to be successful?

For which subject?
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
For which subject?

Maths. I'm currently doing maths, f.maths, and step maths

(And music, history and English lit)

Ah I dunno much about maths - will let someone else answer! :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those grades are certainly good enough for a place! Whether or not you're likely to be successful depends a whole lot on the MAT and interviews though, those should be your focus if you want to get an offer.

Latest

Trending

Trending