The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

WHY ARE B GRADES NEGLECTED SO MUCH! It's almost as if everyone on here says they got a B and then provides an excuse for it....a B grade is very respectable indeed. I don't get why they are shunned away so much. Having been 1 or 2 marks off an A in 3/4 of my AS levels, it was annoying but I learnt to take it. Learn to take it guys. Grades aren't everything...they really aren't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chazer154
WHY ARE B GRADES NEGLECTED SO MUCH! It's almost as if everyone on here says they got a B and then provides an excuse for it....a B grade is very respectable indeed. I don't get why they are shunned away so much. Having been 1 or 2 marks off an A in 3/4 of my AS levels, it was annoying but I learnt to take it. Learn to take it guys. Grades aren't everything...they really aren't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you;'re applying to Oxford, where every course requires As, its not good enough for people. It's all about your intended destination.
Original post by Michael_Fishy
When you;'re applying to Oxford, where every course requires As, its not good enough for people. It's all about your intended destination.

What if you come from a low performing school and have extenuating circumstances?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What if you come from a low performing school and have extenuating circumstances?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then maybe? But that's not the case with the majority of these cases. Even at a low performing school you can get As.
Then maybe? But that's not the case with the majority of these cases. Even at a low performing school you can get As.

Or have 3/4 ASs marked 1 or 2 marks off an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Or have 3/4 ASs marked 1 or 2 marks off an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Still not As. The grade matters, not the mark. Universities see 3 Bs, not 3Bs with 1 or two marks off of an A.
Still not As. The grade matters, not the mark. Universities see 3 Bs, not 3Bs with 1 or two marks off of an A.

Nahh man it's cool I wrote in my personal statement I was 1 or 2 marks off an A in 3/4 subjects. Plus, that's not true...the mark matters obviously because are there A2's? No. They're AS's which mean they can have a significant impact on the final grade when we take our A2's. At this point, the mark matters. Sorry to put it so bluntly but you had a good crack at an argument I'll give you that! Jolly well done. Also, if you write UMS marks on UCAS it makes all the difference. Oxford invited me for an interview so I ain't complaining 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nahh man it's cool I wrote in my personal statement I was 1 or 2 marks off an A in 3/4 subjects. Plus, that's not true...the mark matters obviously because are there A2's? No. They're AS's which mean they can have a significant impact on the final grade when we take our A2's. At this point, the mark matters. Sorry to put it so bluntly but you had a good crack at an argument I'll give you that! Jolly well done. Also, if you write UMS marks on UCAS it makes all the difference. Oxford invited me for an interview so I ain't complaining 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not anymore, or at least with the most A Levels. ASes are standalone qualifications and contribute nada to final result. That's the case with virtually all facilitating subjects at least. Considering you applied to Oxford and got an interview you should know this, because you really should have at least one facilitating subject? I don't mean to call you out but this doesn't exactly add up,
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
If you've already applied, no point fretting over these things. What's done is done so whatever happens, just enjoy the ride! If you get an interview, great. If you get in, even better! If you make the grades, fab! But if you don't get in, it's hardly the end of the world. Plenty of stellar music departments (and dare I say, in some cases BETTER places to study music. Depending on what you want to achieve/be taught/do afterwards) than Oxford, at the end of the day :yes:

Just don't set your heart on it, as in thinking it's Oxford or you're a failure. That advice goes for any applicant to any degree course there, though :yes:

Apparently they were good enough to get an interview! :biggrin:
Original post by auburnstar
Apparently they were good enough to get an interview! :biggrin:

Glad you were given the benefit of the doubt :yep:

Good luck :biggrin: Which college is your host college for the interviews? (As in, which college did you apply/get an invite to interview from?) :musicus:
Glad you were given the benefit of the doubt :yep:

Good luck :biggrin: Which college is your host college for the interviews? (As in, which college did you apply/get an invite to interview from?) :musicus:

Host college is Somerville. :smile: I submitted open (honestly I didn't have a major preference) and it allocated to Somerville so they sent the invite (I'm really happy with the allocation, it looks great as a college :smile:)
Host college is Somerville. :smile: I submitted open (honestly I didn't have a major preference) and it allocated to Somerville so they sent the invite (I'm really happy with the allocation, it looks great as a college :smile:)

Somerville is nice. If it's still OR and BS as the tutors there, they are quite nice and it hopefully shouldn't be too scary/traumatic/dramatic at their college at least :biggrin:
Somerville is nice. If it's still OR and BS as the tutors there, they are quite nice and it hopefully shouldn't be too scary/traumatic/dramatic at their college at least :biggrin:

Yes, they seem nice (and not having too esoteric of interests xD). I should hope no one is traumatic :P

(can't quite help but think how BS is such an unfortunate acronym...)
(can't quite help but think how BS is such an unfortunate acronym...)

Yeah that did occur to me whilst typing it :teehee:

:getmecoat:
Original post by SonicDwayney
AAB AS results. Can I study Law at Oxford?

Hi, I don't know how to use this whole system cos ive only just used it, so please bear with me if im doing things wrong

I got my AS results yesterday and i had:
A-History
A-French
B-English Literature

My intention this year coming was to apply to study Law at oxford uni and my results have made me doubt my chances as I would have liked to get 3As. Has this put me at much of a disadvantage? And would they ask to see AS results?

My GCSE results were 3A*s, 5As, 1B. I sat maths a year early and got an A*. I think that as a whole, realistically, my application would look pretty good, but can anyone help me to clarify whether it would be acceptable at somewhere like oxford? I have been putting a lot of effort into getting some background on law to put towards my application to try and boost it; for example, i have been working in Eversheds solicitors firm all of this week to get some work experience. Whether you know of someone in similar circumstances, or you have encountered the same doubts i would REALLY appreciate any feedback.

I am willing to work as hard as i possibly need to in order to achieve what would be expected of me, and if anyone could give me constructive advice (whether its negative or positive) so long as it is realistic in terms of what im striving for then i would really appreciate it.

Thank you for giving your time to read this..

Hello! I just read this new remebered my book about Cambridge university with lots of information and grade boundaries and things. It's not oxford but shouldn't be too different. I looked up law and it says typical offers require A*AA no specific subjects. Some require at least one fourth essay based subject and most applicants must take the Cambridge Law Test.
Hope that's helpful!
Hi! I've been invited to St Hugh's for a Mathematics interview, but I did not have enough time to get a Visa, is it possible to choose Skype interview now?Best of luck to your interviews!
Original post by AfcFob
I have the same GCSE's as your sibling :biggrin:
I've already spoken to my college G&T coordinator and he's told me it won't hinder me too much because I went to a bad school.

Your sibling really needs to focus at their A-Levels as they're more important (for the most part) and try and aim for AAAA at AS (minimum that they can get is really ABBB to stand any sort of chance)

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you!
Hi! I'm going into year 12 and thinking of applying for psychology and maybe philosophy at Oxford. I got 4 A*s (including Maths and RS), 7 As (including all the Sciences and further maths) and a B in German. I got high As in both English and might get them remarked, as I was a little disappointed.

I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, RS, Psychology (I couldn't do it at GCSE) and English Lit at AS Level, and think I will drop English. I did the practise TSA exam this Summer without any prep and got 70%... Do I have a chance at Oxford if I get good AS results, or are my GCSEs not good enough?

Latest

Trending

Trending