The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chinaberry
From what I gather, Oxford looks more for personality and originality and depth of thought (provided you've got As at AS and you're predicted AAA) and recognises that GCSEs aren't necessarily precursors to or good preparation for future success. I was always encouraged to think that "Oxbridge material" type people might not fit inside the box gradeswise.

This is what I thought, however at the New College open day, the admissions tutor made a point of saying that Oxford (or New College atleast) believes that there is a direct corellation between GCSE results and future success as it shows an ability to handle and excel in a number of diverse subjects at the same time. However it has been often said that Oxford are interested in the way you think and not your answers... and I guess the fact that they interview is proof of that.
Reply 901
Hi! I'm in year 12, and thinking about applying next year.

I got 9 A*s at GCSE and 1 C, in Drama. On one hand, my school is really competitive, and some people would probably think that that is rubbish! On the other hand, as some people said to me, "it's just drama" and the main problem is the marking of the written exam scripts, which AQA screwed up pretty bad this year!

My head of sixth form said it shouldn't matter, and if I'm really worried, I can get them to put something about it in my reference.

I was just wondering what you guys thought about this, and if it would hinder me in any way.

If it makes any difference, I want to do English (probably + a language) at uni, and I'm doing IB at the moment, so I can't get high module scores this year!
Original post by bazoolium
Hi! I'm in year 12, and thinking about applying next year.

I got 9 A*s at GCSE and 1 C, in Drama. On one hand, my school is really competitive, and some people would probably think that that is rubbish! On the other hand, as some people said to me, "it's just drama" and the main problem is the marking of the written exam scripts, which AQA screwed up pretty bad this year!

My head of sixth form said it shouldn't matter, and if I'm really worried, I can get them to put something about it in my reference.

I was just wondering what you guys thought about this, and if it would hinder me in any way.

If it makes any difference, I want to do English (probably + a language) at uni, and I'm doing IB at the moment, so I can't get high module scores this year!

One bad grade in an unrelated subject is not going to make much difference at all.
Original post by bazoolium
I'm doing IB at the moment,

why are you doing the IB?
Reply 904
Hi
I really would like to do Economics and History at Oxford. I'm currently starting my AS examinations.
My predicted AS results are 5a's in maths, further maths, chemistry, history and politics. I'm also predicted an A* in my EPQ project.
I achieved 7 a*'s and 2a's at gcse.
My A*'s are in maths, english lit, english lang, psychology, history, additional science and French. My A's were in Core Science and Geography. I still am very bitter about these.
Do these grades give me a realistic change of getting in?
How much does not doing economics affect my chances?
Thanks for helping :smile:
Reply 905
They're fine.

Not having economics won't affect you.
Of course they're fine! So long you get round about 4As at AS then you should be good to go; they don't care about GCSE just as much, although your grades seem more that good enough (:

& from the actual Oxford website "It is highly recommended for candidates to have both History and Mathematics to A-level" - Economics is not included so that shouldn't be an issue whatsoever
Reply 907
Can you get into uni of Oxford with a btec science gcse??
Hey,

where can i find stats on how many people applied to which colleges in oxford for which courses and how many of them got offers/ a place?

thanks!
Original post by Linda_K
Can you get into uni of Oxford with a btec science gcse??

Of course.

Students at Oxford, like students everywhere else, will have all manner of odd minor exam results reflecting the prejudices or obsessions of their former headteachers.

Oxford's complaint is not about people picking up odd irrelevant qualifications along the way, but people who are deprived, either by their schools or by lack of knowledge, from acquiring the necessary academic qualifications for entry.

No history tutor is going to turn a good historian down because someone's science GCSE is non-mainstream. Likewise if you are on track for an A* in physics A level nobody is going to care very much that you did your science GCSEs somewhat oddly. Rather, they will be pleased that your school or college spotted your talent regardless.
Reply 910
Original post by eatpraylove

Original post by eatpraylove
Of course they're fine! So long you get round about 4As at AS then you should be good to go; they don't care about GCSE just as much, although your grades seem more that good enough (:

& from the actual Oxford website "It is highly recommended for candidates to have both History and Mathematics to A-level" - Economics is not included so that shouldn't be an issue whatsoever

Thanks i hope so. i really would do anything to go because history maths combination courses don't seem to exist so this is just perfect for me. The only thing is it is a rare course. Thanks for giving me the motivation do go for it.
Do they know when you apply whether your school offers economics? My school doesn't you see.
Reply 911
Original post by gabalab
Do they know when you apply whether your school offers economics? My school doesn't you see.

It should probably be mentioned on your reference, when the time comes.
Retake it . resits atrent bad. unis except sometimes you have a bad day on exams or you just wernt mature enough at the time, if you get an A in retakes you'll be fine.
Yes retake it or apply to sit a STEP exam and prove yourself in that
Reply 914
say my other grades are good, how much will a D and a C at GCSE affect my chances. theyre unrelated subjects btw. Quote me
Original post by Miryo
say my other grades are good, how much will a D and a C at GCSE affect my chances. theyre unrelated subjects btw. Quote me

Listen, its your A Levels and Personal statement that matter the most along with any work experience you may have.
Reply 916
Original post by Miryo

Depends on the subject you're applying for. I have a C and D at GCSE.
Reply 917
Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
Listen, its your A Levels and Personal statement that matter the most along with any work experience you may have.

Personal statement and work experience mean almost nothing for Oxford unless you are applying for medicine. It is AS subjects and grades, GCSEs, interview and pre interview tests.

PS & WE count more for other universities who don't interview.
Original post by Colmans
Personal statement and work experience mean almost nothing for Oxford unless you are applying for medicine. It is AS subjects and grades, GCSEs, interview and pre interview tests.

although I got a straight AAB offer from KCL without an intervew for pharmacology with a PS where pharmacology occurs 0 times and 0 related wE
Original post by Colmans

You forget that a lot of courses at Oxford do not have any entrance tests. Its rather hard to differentiate between one 4As student and another.

Also, without relevant work experience how are you going to answer the good old 'What makes you think this course is for you ?'.

Latest

Trending

Trending