The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IAmTheChosenOne
Ah that's fine then. Because I've heard from somewhere that they expect 95+ in every module...

I'm really not convinced by things like this. If they were going to judge applicants seriously on their UMS marks they'd ask to be given them. They get so much other information about you from the personal statement, reference, exam and possibly interview that I can't see UMS marks playing any significant role.
A hopefully encouraging grades story - I got a C in Philosophy at AS level and just got an offer for PPE anyway (somehow!). So they aren't the be-all and end-all! :smile:
I also hope this reassures people -

My GCSEs: 7 A*s, 2 As and a D (in art. Wheyy.)
AS: AABC
Predicted: A*A*AA

Even with that BCD combo under my belt, I still got an interview. So don't worry - it's possible to get at least that far. :smile:

Just waiting on my letter now. Come on, post! =S

EDIT: Hope this REALLY reassures people - I just got an offer! :eek:
(edited 12 years ago)
People have been saying Oxford doesn't look at anyone below 7-8 A*... if I "only" got 6A* 8A 2B and an A in free standing maths qualification... and got AAAAA (Maths, further maths, economics, biology, computing) at AS and predicted A*A*A*A for a2... would I stand a decent chance for economics and management at Oxford... despite okayish GCSEs?
Original post by hackashaq
People have been saying Oxford doesn't look at anyone below 7-8 A*... if I "only" got 6A* 8A 2B and an A in free standing maths qualification... and got AAAAA (Maths, further maths, economics, biology, computing) at AS and predicted A*A*A*A for a2... would I stand a decent chance for economics and management at Oxford... despite okayish GCSEs?

you have nothing to worry about.
Original post by hackashaq

Why so many GCSEs? There is no advantage to be had from it.

But yes, those grades would be absolutely fine.
After suffering a lovely bout of depression and insomnia coupled with bullying and generally being quite antisocial, I did no work for my GCSEs, placed very little effort on my coursework and did not do as well as I could have. I want to know that, if I want to try for an Oxford degree in English Lang&Lit, should I redo most and take an extra one or two on?

The results I got were:

AAAABBBBBDD

The breakdown is as follows:

A: Irish*, English Language**, Double Award Applied ICT
B: Maths, Double Award Science, Statistics***
D: R.E., Gaeilge****

*Irish was done in second year
**English Literature was made unavalible to me despite performing well in English class because Gaeilge was compulsory in the Irish Unit.
***This mark was split 50:50 Coursework:Test. Did well in the CW, got an A, test I got a D. Can I just resit the test and keep my CW mark?
****This is Irish at a much more advanced level. I wrote very little on my tests, and failed as a result.

I have moved school this year and am predicted As at AS in all three subjects I am currently doing and am interested in. I may also teach myself a 4th one. I would plan to do the following:

Retake: Maths, R.E, Statistics test if possible
Take on: English Lit, Physics, Human Biology IGCSE, Sociology A-Level possibly

The main concern of mine is that it's going to be expensive. Are there any benefits I could get? I could probably get Maths and possibly R.E. on my school's account, but not the others. I'm also well aware that this will take a LOT of my time, but I currently only study for my current A-Levels for about 2 hours a day, and even then it feels like a bit overkill. I don't have a part time job currently. The site I've been looking at the most and have heard good reviews about is oxfordhomeschooling.co.uk so any other sites that are like that would be helpful. I live in Northern Ireland.

Has anyone done this? How did it go? Should I do it if I want to go for a Uni such as Oxford? Should I take a gap year to do this?

Thanks
Reply 967
ahhhh it's debatable whether or not retaking gcses will do you any good tbh. because unis such as oxford hate resits and take into account when you sat the gcse(s), so they can quite easily spot out any resits - as you'd have to declare both marks and the dates you sat them.

however, having said that, i'm in my first year of alevel and i'm hoping to apply for medicine next year, but to do so it helps tremendously to have a nice solid set of gcses, so I too am resiting two of my IGCSEs (which, by the way, i despise with a passion and hate my school for making me do them the first time) in physics and biology, in hope that i can get these marks from an A to an A*.

some of my teachers say it will help, some say it wont, your call at the end of the day.

oh, and if you're that content on getting into oxford and don't get in first time, take a gap year and reapply the next. my sister did this for English at cambridge at got in second time round.

hope this helps :smile:
Original post by nexttime

Oh my school made everyone "smart" do loads of GCSEs so I ended up having five gcses grades for science alone lol :P
Reply 969

Hi there.

Do you know whether Oxford accept IB retakes?
I am a November IB candidate, If I get an offer from oxford, can I retake my subject in May and then meet the offer?
Original post by chi_jin
Hi there.

Do you know whether Oxford accept IB retakes?
I am a November IB candidate, If I get an offer from oxford, can I retake my subject in May and then meet the offer?

I do not know, although my guess would be that would be fine.It depends on whether they specify in the offer that you can't retake. They could do this for A-level applicants, but don't. Hopefully they would not be more awkward for the IB!

You should contact the university to ask.
Reply 971
I do not know, although my guess would be that would be fine.It depends on whether they specify in the offer that you can't retake. They could do this for A-level applicants, but don't. Hopefully they would not be more awkward for the IB!

You should contact the university to ask.

Thanks for your advice:biggrin:
I see a lot of threads mentioning about Oxford basing decisions more on GCSE grades than Cambridge- But how important are GCSEs in their decision making? Especielly in comparison to A levels/IB. I have been looking around and I can't seem to find a thread that answers this question fully yet.
Thank you! :smile:
Are you sure you can't find a thread on this? there are hundreds.

General consensus; GCSEs are important. A*s are often preferred, but it's your AS and predicted grades that are often the most important. Naturally there are exceptions yadeyadeyayaya.
Original post by Argent-chan
I see a lot of threads mentioning about Oxford basing decisions more on GCSE grades than Cambridge- But how important are GCSEs in their decision making? Especielly in comparison to A levels/IB. I have been looking around and I can't seem to find a thread that answers this question fully yet.
Thank you! :smile:

It really depends on the subject, but in most cases, more important.
Original post by umop apisdn
Are you sure you can't find a thread on this? there are hundreds.

General consensus; GCSEs are important. A*s are often preferred, but it's your AS and predicted grades that are often the most important. Naturally there are exceptions yadeyadeyayaya.

I couldn't find any when I searched, sorry if I somehow missed them! ^^;
Is there a certain amount of A/A*s that are usually standard or is there nothing set?
Reply 976
I went to a few different UCAS fairs and Oxford Access events when I was applying and was always told that you should have about 6 A*s minimum if thinking of applying. I had 5 (not a huge difference, I know) and still got in.

My advice would be don't worry about GCSEs too much; if you love your subject and you can show that you're quite good at it, apply! That's all the tutors are looking for: enthusiasm, passion, and evidence that you're willing to work hard! :smile:
Original post by Stedward
I went to a few different UCAS fairs and Oxford Access events when I was applying and was always told that you should have about 6 A*s minimum if thinking of applying. I had 5 (not a huge difference, I know) and still got in.

My advice would be don't worry about GCSEs too much; if you love your subject and you can show that you're quite good at it, apply! That's all the tutors are looking for: enthusiasm, passion, and evidence that you're willing to work hard! :smile:

Ah thank you, that is helpful! :smile: I was wondering if it would be worth my while to get 5/6 As at GCSE before applying to Oxford to help my application or not? Or would it not make much difference? :smile: Also, I have a Distinction in OCR Nationals (ICT) Do you think in your opinion that would count as an equivalent to an A? Thank you again!
Original post by Argent-chan
Ah thank you, that is helpful! :smile: I was wondering if it would be worth my while to get 5/6 As at GCSE before applying to Oxford to help my application or not? Or would it not make much difference? :smile: Also, I have a Distinction in OCR Nationals (ICT) Do you think in your opinion that would count as an equivalent to an A? Thank you again!

B
Just focus on your AS levels.
I know someone who recently got in to Oxford with no A*s whatsoever. You just have to show them your worth in other ways (AS grades/aptitude tests/Interview)
It depends on your subject, OP.

Original post by umop apisdn
but it's your AS and predicted grades that are often the most important.

Depends what you mean by 'important'. They rarely make actual decisions based on AS grades, as almost all applicants have at least 3As, usually more. Having poor ASs is clearly a bit of a deal breaker though yes!

Original post by Stedward

Are you sure that wasn't more of an 'average' than a 'minimum'? Plenty of people do get in with less than that, and based on general impressions, most students on here seem to say 6-7A* seems about average for an accepted student.

Latest

Trending

Trending