The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

they will overlook gcse's if you have a good all round application, you have good As grades and predictions so if you had a good personal statement and performed well in their aptitude test and at interview then you would stand a good chance :smile:
Have you applied this year? Or are you taking a gap year?
Original post by youjennatsix
Hello,

I've heard a lot of rumours about Oxbridge's reputation for being picky with GCSE results, and I was wondering what your thoughts would be on the following credentials for studying Law:

GCSEs: 11As/1B
AS: AAAA / English Literature, History, Religious Studies, Economics
A2 Pred: A* A* A (dropped Economics)

Is it worth an attempt at applying? Or should I use one of the choices somewhere else?

Thanks.

At the Oxford law open day the tutor said that the average for a successful applicant was around 7/8A*s at GCSE so yours are way below average. However, the impression he gave was that GCSEs were only a small part of the pciture and providing you haven't done terribly (which you haven't) it should be fine.

If you do well in the LNAT you should get an interview and at that stage I don't think GCSEs matter any more.

Definitely apply if you think you'd like studying at Oxford. However, I suggest going on the open days (subject specific and general). I realised I only wanted to do law because of the prestige attached to it, not because I was passionate about it, and chose not to apply for law in the end.
I think it's definitely worth applying - you have great GCSE results and your AS Levels and predicted A2 Levels look really impressive, so I think you'd stand a good chance - it's definitely worth a shot, at least, just so you know. You can always apply to a few other universities too, in case it doesn't work out, but if that was me and I was keen to go to Oxbridge, I would go for it. Good luck!
I got an interview for Oxford with 4 A*s, 1 A, 5 Bs and a C, people are constantly overemphasising the importance of GCSEs
mate please say youre kidding with this question?
picky with GCSE's means theyll start getting pissy if you dont have a decent few a's you have nearly straight a's incredible as results and predictions are amazing to you stand a very good shot at oxford!
Original post by cl_steele
mate please say youre kidding with this question?
picky with GCSE's means theyll start getting pissy if you dont have a decent few a's you have nearly straight a's incredible as results and predictions are amazing to you stand a very good shot at oxford!

Average Oxford law gcses is 7/8 A*s so I think OPs concern is genuine, but OP should definitely try, of the rest of his/her application is strong :smile:
Original post by youjennatsix
Hello,

I've heard a lot of rumours about Oxbridge's reputation for being picky with GCSE results, and I was wondering what your thoughts would be on the following credentials for studying Law:

GCSEs: 11As/1B
AS: AAAA / English Literature, History, Religious Studies, Economics
A2 Pred: A* A* A (dropped Economics)

Is it worth an attempt at applying? Or should I use one of the choices somewhere else?

Thanks.

Even though your results are really good, the Oxford standard is obviously very high. The average applicant may have stronger GCSE grades than you, BUT the good thing about Oxford is that you have other things to make your application stronger. Work hard on passing the LNAT. Oxford also cares A LOT about interviews, so read around your subject, AND deep into it too, and you can impress them enough to have them want to teach you.
Uhm, I do think you might slightly be at disadvantage because you don't take a critical/logic based subject such as Maths at A level, which they seem to like. But I don't see why that should be holding you back.
work as hard as you can on your personal statement...I did 22 drafts, and that pretty much saved me from the rejection I expected since my GCSE and AS grades were only decent.
the interview is super important, and most applicants get to that stage. SO YES, try your luck, just MAKE SURE You impress them then :smile: Good luck, pm me if you need any help.
Reply 1108
Original post by WIC
Where about are you? AS student?

Retaking English and Maths and doing Double Science and Spanish [ All at GCSE] I will start AS next year.
Original post by tooambitious

Original post by tooambitious
Average Oxford law gcses is 7/8 A*s so I think OPs concern is genuine, but OP should definitely try, of the rest of his/her application is strong :smile:

whoops didnt see the law part my mistake, mmm it depends really on your school background as well or mitigating circumstances, but point taken :smile:
Original post by cl_steele
whoops didnt see the law part my mistake, mmm it depends really on your school background as well or mitigating circumstances, but point taken :smile:

i didnt factor this in either :L, ood point too haha
Original post by Lortis
And what if I went onto to do Medicine with 2 years and a half work experience? I'm good at Biology.

Your special circumstances would have to have been pretty bad. Oxford medicine specifically rarely admits people with less than 7A* at GCSE (average 9A*), always taken in one sitting.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Lortis
1) No I'm in a Sixth form
2)No
3)Yes I'm only doing 4 GCSE's
4)No...Not really

With all due respect, I don't think you will be able to field a strong application to a good Law school or to medical school if you have to resit your GCSEs, and you have done so few. I would stick with my former assessment that your best bet is to try to draw a line under your GCSEs, do really well at A-level, and then maybe spend a gap year getting experience.

But I'm afraid I have to question your ability to get A*AA in good subjects if you managed so few GCSEs with relatively poor grades. Sorry to be harsh but that is my honest opinion.
Original post by Lortis

Original post by Lortis
Well these are the Universities I'm looking to go for:

Oxford or Cambridge [ I'm not sure which one I'm aware you can only apply for one]
LSE
UCL
Queen's Mary
and maybe Nottingham or Durham possibly bristol [ Is it only 5 universities you can apply for?]

Nottingham and Queens Mary sound more realistic considering your GCSE background. I have 12 GCSE's, 5A* and I'm still not confident on applying and setting my heart on Oxford - make sure you look around sometimes the best course for you won't be in the most prestigious universities but that doesn't mean their not good and you won't do well. Don't give up hope but look realistically at what you have and can achieve and what the top unis want so not to have a greater disappointment later on. Do you research. :smile:
Original post by Lortis

Original post by Lortis
Retaking English and Maths and doing Double Science and Spanish [ All at GCSE] I will start AS next year.

Having a good pass in English, Maths and Science at GCSE on the first attempt is preferable. Oxbridge will be looking more at A*/A candidates in the core subjects rather than B's. Sorry. Although retaking isn't the worst thing- and if you had special circumstances at the time there may be some consideration, I would look around for a course with less demanding requirements even the best GCSE students can find the transition to AS a little difficult. But its good your aiming high means you're working hard, but prepare yourself for knockbacks - you're not in the most ideal position.
Original post by winningjojo
Nottingham and Queens Mary sound more realistic considering your GCSE background. I have 12 GCSE's, 5A* and I'm still not confident on applying and setting my heart on Oxford - make sure you look around sometimes the best course for you won't be in the most prestigious universities but that doesn't mean their not good and you won't do well. Don't give up hope but look realistically at what you have and can achieve and what the top unis want so not to have a greater disappointment later on. Do you research. :smile:

Just like to clear up that Nottingham is right up there for Law, so the OP probably doesn't have much chance there.
Not gonna lie, but Oxbridge is very hard to get into. From what's been said in this thread, it sounds like the grades you have/are working towards for GCSE are good, but I'm not sure if they'll think the same.
If you're prepared to work hard and get the A2 results you want, then nothing can really stop you from applying. You just have to be prepared to face competition from people who are ridiculously clever and have millions of A*s at GCSE, As at AS and A*s at A2. I applied to Oxford this year for a Classics-like course with 9A*s and 3As at GCSE, as well as AAAAB at AS and predicted A*A*A*A at A2.
I got an interview, but I didn't get in.
I suppose that shows grades aren't everything - because the interviews are flippin' hard and competition so fierce... But maybe it's worth looking at somewhere just as respectable with a lower grade requirement where it won't be such a stress to get top grades and have people being so judgemental about grades. Hope that's some help :smile:
You said you're quite good at Biology, why not avoid the really competitive law and medicine courses where you'll be competing with some out right geniuses and opt for alternative courses that are related to the subject you enjoy. Why not look at biology courses, or biochemistry, pharmacy? Or as you considered Law - what about English Lit? Broaden your horizons don't get stuck in the rat run. There are many alternative routes into what you would like to do. with a good GCSE maths grade A/B you should stand a chance at average unis, but with just 6 GCSE's I'd avoid the top 5 unis and use your option spaces more wisely with places you have a better chance. Reading is a decent uni and their courses vary from AAA to BBC A Level requirements. - A tad more realistic.
Original post by Tsunami2011

Oh I didn't know that for law - I'm a geographer so only know that their requirements for that are a minimum of ABB. My mistake.
Original post by winningjojo

My mistake, Nottingham is also a hard one to get into for law. Look elsewhere. Sorry. :frown:

Latest