The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tuckla07
no, they dismiss it if it's your native language, as that's like me getting an A-level for being fluent in english. They like an a-level in any other language, for example I have a ukranian friend who did russian a-level and that was counted in his offer :smile:

No, no it isn't. A-level English is a course designed for people with English as their first language. It tests far more than fluency in english speaking.

A-level French/Spanish/Russian/German etc. is a course designed for people with those languages as secondary languages.

Some universities will allow it, Oxford won't.
Original post by Sierra/Cesca
Hello, and thank you for actually reading this! :smile:
I want to apply for PPE at Oxford, and then do a Masters in International Economics, and Investment Banking.

Most have said I have nothing to worry about, but I can't help doing just that after seeing how much better prepared a lot of people are on TSR :/

GCSE:
5 A*
5 A
1 B
1 As IT a year early = B
Extenuating circumstances: Subjects self-taught in six months. One of the A's, Physics, was in three. The school was an epic failure. Only reason As IT was a B was lack of time to complete coursework, I aced the exam however. Another of the A's should have been A*, the school didn't submit my coursework.

A Levels (All predicted A/A*)

Economics
Government and Politics
History
Psychology

EPQ

Classical Spanish Literature - predicted A/A*

Extra curriculars

Have my own charity set up, raising money for healthcare/education projects in the Favela of Rocinha, in Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Will be going to teach English in said location for three months after completing A levels.

Debate team

Work Experience

Santander Bank
Went to Brussels to do some work with one of my area's MEPs
Summer work experience at the Rothschild Bank in London

Other Skills

Fluent in English and Spanish, Catalan and Portuguese = Nearly fluent
My Greek is also good, I read classical Greek literature in it's original format.
My German is basic, but I am currently learning that and Arabic.

Other Things

I come from a low Socio-Economic background. My mother does not work as she has no GCSE's, my dad died. I attended a rubbish comprehensive for most of my high school years, before moving to the local Grammar - which is also rather rubbish.

Judging by my background, will Oxford not want me? - I am extremely worried about this, as I have no upper-class background/ contacts/ networking etc.! :frown:

Your achievements are fine and you've had some brilliantly middle class opportunities (Brussels, Rothschild, going to Brazil, debating, read Greek literature, learnt 7 languages, your school actually offers Economics and Politics) so, with all respect, aren't from a truly deprived background. Oxford does not care about your background anyway; you don't need contacts/networking this century.

You're GCSEs are good and will be put in context if your schools were bad, you're A levels grades are perfect (I'd strongly, strongly advise you to do at least some Maths). Your extra-curriculars sound great, but are useless/irrelevant so make sure they take up little space on your personal statement. Apply, you'll very likely get an interview at least.
Original post by hassi94
No, no it isn't. A-level English is a course designed for people with English as their first language. It tests far more than fluency in english speaking.

A-level French/Spanish/Russian/German etc. is a course designed for people with those languages as secondary languages.

Some universities will allow it, Oxford won't.

That's not what I said... it's be silly if English A level only consisted of speaking English. I never said that's what it was. Sorry if I confused/ offended you
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sierra/Cesca

I want to apply for PPE at Oxford, and then do a Masters in International Economics, and Investment Banking.

I don't know if you meant masters in international economics, and then in investment banking too or what but doing banking masters isn't seen greatly upon if you want to do banking.

If you get in to do PPE at Oxford and get a 2:1 or higher, the academic part of your application for Investment Banking is complete. No need to do masters etc unless it's for personal interest.

With regards to your actual question, you don't need to good socio-economic background to get into Oxford, just get good grades (really should've had better subjects but it's not the end of the world - make sure to pick up AS Maths next year (and put it on your UCAS form that you're doing it!) whether it's in school with the year 12s or self teaching), hopefully get an interview and then nail it.

Oh, and as impressive as your extra-curriculars are, save them for your job applications for banking - and for getting internships/spring weeks during university :smile: Oxford don't care too much about that. Of course mention a few but don't let it take up any more than a quarter of your personal statement (one paragraph).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tuckla07
That's not what I meant. I meant it would be silly if A-Level english only consisted of being able to speak english. Sorry if I garbled :colondollar:

Right okay I've now figured out what you were saying on the whole :tongue: I thought the first part was a mistake, and the second part was making a different point etc. :tongue:

Sorry haha :smile:
To echo what hassi94 said, I think you (OP) should definitely pick up AS maths. Other than getting good grades and making a good impression, I don't see what's stopping you...
Original post by hassi94
I don't know if you meant masters in international economics, and then in investment banking too or what but doing banking masters isn't seen greatly upon if you want to do banking.

If you get in to do PPE at Oxford and get a 2:1 or higher, the academic part of your application for Investment Banking is complete. No need to do masters etc unless it's for personal interest.

With regards to your actual question, you don't need to good socio-economic background to get into Oxford, just get good grades (really should've had better subjects but it's not the end of the world - make sure to pick up AS Maths next year (and put it on your UCAS form that you're doing it!) whether it's in school with the year 12s or self teaching), hopefully get an interview and then nail it.

I don't want to do Investment Banking as a Masters, rather, I wish to read a Masters in International Economics is because if I can't get an IB internship, as they are highly competative, I would like to work for the Foreign Office and use my languages practically.

And I will drop Psychology in favour of As Maths next year then :smile: I am rather good at it, just thought Economics would be more suitable. #misinformed
Original post by hassi94
Right okay I've now figured out what you were saying on the whole :tongue: I thought the first part was a mistake, and the second part was making a different point etc. :tongue:

Sorry haha :smile:

haha no worries- i tend to garble so it's understandable :biggrin:
I don't think you should mention extenuating circumstances for A grades :P But then I've never bothered to look at entry requirements for PPE or Oxford :wink:
Your grades etc are fine, but you should definitely get some Maths in there, as a 1st year PPE'ist who didn't have Maths beyond GCSE, I've found Economics a huge struggle and will be dropping it when I go into 2nd year. It's very, very different to A level, it's all Maths.
I'm considering PPE at Oxford but i'm afraid my academic background does not quite hold as much rigour as they'd like.

GCSEs

3 A*s

9 As

DiDA (Diploma in Digital Application) - Merit (equivalent to 4 As)...please do not slam this subject, I worked my socks off for this qualification. I hate it when people diminish it's value.

Current AS levels

Economics and Business Studies (the sixth form does not offer straight Economics)

Maths

Psychology

Applied ICT

RS (Philosophy and Ethics) - self studying as I already have an A (85 ums) in the first unit

Extenuating Circumstances

I am currently retaking year 12, given that I was sectioned last year for 9 months, shortly after sitting my January exams. I was discharged late October, thus started the academic year in November and have a formal diagnosis of the following as a consequence of my time as a formal patient:

Aspergers Syndrome

Depression

OCD

Severe anxiety i.e. anxiety attacks which frequently become psychotic

The thing is, I have only been known to mental health services as of 31/01/11, so don't know how to go about proving mitigating circumstances throughout my GCSE years. Some teachers were alerted of self harm, suicidal ideation and other such maladaptive behaviour in years 10 and 11, but didn't really do much other than inform my parents. Needless to say, it was an abominable comprehensive.

Extra Curriculars so far

A weeks work experience at a law firm

Volunteering for a couple of charity events

Summer school at the University of Birmingham

Magistrates' mock trial

Numerous competitions and challenges e.g. Stock Market Challenge/LionHeart Challenge

Peer Mentoring at school

Peer Mediation throughout primary and secondary school

Volunteering on a fortnightly basis with children aged 3 - 10 years who are either vulnerable (are from refuge centres for child abuse or domestic violence) or have special needs such as autism/aspergers.

I was a prefect in secondary school and am a student ambassador for the sixth form

I'm trying to convince my school to allow me to partake in further extra curricular activities, but they've been reluctant to some suggestions such as, Duke of Edinburgh and holding my own Yoga class. I also have some restrictions as to what I can do within the school; for instance, i'm not allowed to give one to one mentoring sessions and must be supervised when in a role of responsibility with the lower years in case I have a psychotic episode. Understandably, this is to ensure my safety as well as theirs. :sad:

So, if anyone has the patience to read the above, what are my realistic prospects? Please be honest. :h:

EDIT: Nice. I got negged for my post. Ha.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by suicidaloverbusiness
I'm considering PPE at Oxford but i'm afraid my academic background does not quite hold as much rigour as they'd like.

GCSEs

3 A*s

9 As

DiDA (Diploma in Digital Application) - Merit (equivalent to 4 As)...please do not slam this subject, I worked my socks off for this qualification. I hate it when people diminish it's value.

Current AS levels

Economics and Business Studies (the sixth form does not offer straight Economics)

Maths

Psychology

Applied ICT

RS (Philosophy and Ethics) - self studying as I already have an A (85 ums) in the first unit

I am currently retaking year 12, given that I was sectioned last year for 9 months, shortly after sitting my January exams. I was discharged late October, thus started the academic year in November and have a formal diagnosis of the following as a consequence of my time as a formal patient:

Aspergers Syndrome

Depression

OCD

The thing is, I have only been known to mental health services as of 31/01/11, so don't know how to go about proving mitigating circumstances throughout my GCSE years. Some teachers were alerted of self harm, suicidal ideation and other such maladaptive behaviour in years 10 and 11, but didn't really do much other than inform my parents. Needless to say, it was an abominable comprehensive.

Extra Curriculars so far

Magistrates' mock trial

Numerous competitions and challenges e.g. Stock Market Challenge/LionHeart Challenge

Peer Mentoring at school

Volunteering on a fortnightly basis with children aged 3 - 10 years who are either vulnerable (are from refuge centres for child abuse or domestic violence) or have special needs such as autism/aspergers.

I was a prefect in secondary school and am a student ambassador for the sixth form

I'm trying to convince my school to allow me to partake in further extra curricular activities, but they've been reluctant to some suggestions such as, Duke of Edinburgh and holding my own Yoga class. I also have some restrictions as to what I can do within the school; for instance, i'm not allowed to give one to one mentoring sessions and must be supervised when in a role of responsibility with the lower years in case I have a psychotic episode. Understandably, this is to ensure my safety as well as theirs. :sad:

So, if anyone has the patience to read the above, what are my realistic prospects? Please be honest. :h:

I congratulate you on achieving everything you have despite your extenuating circumstances, that's really inspiring :smile: Your GCSE grades are fine. Your extra-curricular activities are really impressive! I doubt Oxford will mind about DoE or Yoga to be honest, they mostly seem to care about extra curriculars if they help boost your subject-related skills, but if you want to do them by all means go for it as long as it doesn't affect your A level studies. As long as the problems you have overcome are explicitly outlined in your reference (might also be an idea to mention in there that your 6th form does not offer straight Econ) you should not be majorly disadvantaged by having retaken most of your A level year, in my view, as your problems are obviously very all-encompassing. Good luck :smile: :smile:
Original post by emmaaa88
I congratulate you on achieving everything you have despite your extenuating circumstances, that's really inspiring :smile: Your GCSE grades are fine. Your extra-curricular activities are really impressive! I doubt Oxford will mind about DoE or Yoga to be honest, they mostly seem to care about extra curriculars if they help boost your subject-related skills, but if you want to do them by all means go for it as long as it doesn't affect your A level studies. As long as the problems you have overcome are explicitly outlined in your reference (might also be an idea to mention in there that your 6th form does not offer straight Econ) you should not be majorly disadvantaged by having retaken most of your A level year, in my view, as your problems are obviously very all-encompassing. Good luck :smile: :smile:

Thank you, that's very nice of you to say. :h: Oh and congratulations on your offer from Oxford. :five:

My main worry has always been my GCSE grades and quite recently: my AS level subjects. Are you sure they're suitable for PPE?

To be honest, out of all of my extra curricular activities, the fortnightly volunteering with vulnerable children has been of the most value. I can actually empathise with many of the children and feel as though I am making a difference - I love how I can make them smile and vice versa. I always look forward to Mondays, purely to work with the children. :biggrin: I get on better with young children as opposed to my teenage counterparts and adults. :colondollar:

When you say I should have my referee mention the problems overcome, what do you mean? I haven't overcome anything outright. I apologise if I have taken this statement literally if it was not intended so. I am, however, making a great recovery according to my consultant psychiatrist. :smile:

Just out of interest, did you take the TSA. I've had a quick glance over some past papers, but the first section looks daunting. :s-smilie: Would those that have extra time in normal exams, be given the same treatment in the TSA?
Thank you, that's very nice of you to say. :h: Oh and congratulations on your offer from Oxford. :five:

My main worry has always been my GCSE grades and quite recently: my AS level subjects. Are you sure they're suitable for PPE?

To be honest, out of all of my extra curricular activities, the fortnightly volunteering with vulnerable children has been of the most value. I can actually empathise with many of the children and feel as though I am making a difference - I love how I can make them smile and vice versa. I always look forward to Mondays, purely to work with the children. :biggrin: I get on better with young children as opposed to my teenage counterparts and adults. :colondollar:

When you say I should have my referee mention the problems overcome, what do you mean? I haven't overcome anything outright. I apologise if I have taken this statement literally if it was not intended so. I am, however, making a great recovery according to my consultant psychiatrist. :smile:

Just out of interest, did you take the TSA. I've had a quick glance over some past papers, but the first section looks daunting. :s-smilie: Would those that have extra time in normal exams, be given the same treatment in the TSA?

Your GCSEs are completely fine - mine are worse and I have an offer. Your AS subjects aren't the strongest, but I have a feeling taking a careful combination to A2 should make them fine (rs, maths and psychology). I got extra time in the TSA because I normally get it :smile: it does look daunting at first, but when you do the past papers you realise lots of the questions are the same.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dancinginrainbows
Your GCSEs are completely fine - mine are worse and I have an offer. Your AS subjects aren't the strongest, but I have a feeling taking a careful combination to A2 should make them fine (rs, maths and psychology). I got extra time in the TSA because I normally get it :smile: it does look daunting at first, but when you do the past papers you realise lots of the questions are the same.

Oh, ok. Damn I really wanted to carry economics and business on to A2 and i'm self studying the RS AS because I started it at my previous sixth form and miraculously managed to get an A. Plus, it would mean i'd have to change exam boards from OCR to AQA if I were to study it in school hours. Would you strongly urge that I drop IT?

EDIT: Oh and i'm not too keen on the AQA specification, especially, given that their is a lot of basis on the chosen religion: sikhism (the schools choice). I don't have a profound knowledge of sikhism and it's the philosophy and ethics side that intrigues me the most. I started with the Judaeo-Christian-Muslim religion, which I quite like as it's fairly diverse.
(edited 12 years ago)

When I said problems overcome I meant the extenuating circumstances you mentioned, that will allow the tutors to put what you achieved into context and it will therefore look even more impressive! :smile:

Regarding your AS level choices, they may not be 'ideal' but they're not going to not consider you for that reason. That's why I said it would be a good idea to say in your reference that pure Economics is not offered at your school, because it will explain why you're doing Econ & Business even though it's not as respected by some people - they'll probably be impressed you took it up as the closest thing to Economics you could get, so it should be fine! I agree with dancinginrainbows that Maths, RS and Psychology would probably be the best ones to take on to A2, if you can, but substituting Econ and Business would probably still be fine if you can't take RS on to A2.

For the TSA, it's designed to be something that you can't really prepare for, but I don't think that's true to be honest, I did lots of preparation and it helped. Do all the preceding practice papers if you can as they do ask some similar questions year on year, and if you run out of those, try the OCR Critical Thinking AS papers, I did that subject for AS and it helped a lot for the exam. The TSA will basically decide if you get an interview and if you have a really good score it can pretty much secure you a place as long as you don't mess up the interview, but don't worry too much about it.

Good luck and if you have other questions I'll gladly help out if I can!
(edited 12 years ago)

GCSEs

3 A*s

9 As

Current AS levels

Maths

Psychology

Applied ICT

Aspergers Syndrome

Depression

OCD

Extra Curriculars so far

Magistrates' mock trial

Peer Mentoring at school

Your GCSE's are fine by any standards, especially under the circumstances. You've done well to do all 4 parts of DIDA (I only did the two with CIDA) so don't worry about that.

Your A levels aren't ideal BUT you do have Maths which counts in your favour. I'd advise phoning or emailing the admissions office to be certain that your subject combination is acceptable, if nothing more than to put your mind at rest: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/contact_details.html

Ignoring extenuating circumstances for now, I'd say your academics are enough to make a competitve application providing you get A's in your AS levels. GCSE's will be put in context of your school. I got 4A*'s, 5A's, 2B's and got in for PPE which is about average and equivalent to your grades). With your extenuating circumstances taken into account, Oxford will be very very keen to at least interview you providing admissions tests/references are acceptable as they have had a direct, substantial affect on your studies.

Your extra-curriculars are great and don't normally affect your application. In your case, they demonstrate that despite your extenuating circumstances you are pro-active, live a normal life and will be able to cope with the pressure, workload and time constraints here. Without knowing about your condition fully I don't want to judge too much, but do be aware that Oxford can be very pressured at times (not ridiculously so usually) so you need to be able to cope with that.

Best of luck, PM if you have any more questions, definitely at least come on an open day to ask questions.
Original post by Lily Academia
Are the types of GCSE taken into consideration? For example: two candidates, both with a same %A* at GCSE - one of which has more 'traditional' subjects such as History, Latin, German and French along with compulsory subjects and the other more 'vocational' (although not BTECs or equivalent qualifications) such Drama, Religious Studies, Graphics and ICT.

Is this considered? :holmes:

Spoiler

Subjects won't make much difference, at least pre-interview.

Probably said this before, but you've seen the stats right? Plenty of people with 80% get interviews, and get offers. Whilst i do strongly advise thinking very carefully about where to apply for medicine, it is worth remembering that it is also very hard to get into wherever else you were thinking of applying. The more academic-minded might actually stand a better chance of getting into Oxbridge than other, more clinical unis. AS results will tell you whether you should consider cambridge moreso. Why are you doing so many AS levels btw? 7, where 3 of them are arts subjects, is nuts! :tongue:
Original post by nexttime

Original post by nexttime
Subjects won't make much difference, at least pre-interview.

Probably said this before, but you've seen the stats right? Plenty of people with 80% get interviews, and get offers. Whilst i do strongly advise thinking very carefully about where to apply for medicine, it is worth remembering that it is also very hard to get into wherever else you were thinking of applying. The more academic-minded might actually stand a better chance of getting into Oxbridge than other, more clinical unis. AS results will tell you whether you should consider cambridge moreso. Why are you doing so many AS levels btw? 7, where 3 of them are arts subjects, is nuts! :tongue:

Yes, the stats were what got me worried, actually :blush:

Although this is at least a little reassuring, considering my school is a comprehensive:

'For the last few years we have also collected GCSE performance data for schools in Great Britain and Northern Ireland, which helps tutors to assess whether an applicant's grades at GCSE may reflect an under- or over-performance within the context of the school at which they were taken. Therefore, it is possible that the chance of being short-listed can be increased/reduced if an applicant has a higher/lower proportion of A* grades than would be predicted for the average student from their GCSE school.'

As I said - I'm still debating on whether to apply at all to be honest. I would be thrilled to be accepted anywhere - and because there are only four uni choices for medicine I'm scared over 'wasting' one. Having said all that, Oxford looks brilliant and very me. But then I'm sure half the country think that, and so it's hardly a strong premise for applying.

Spoiler

Original post by emmaaa88
When I said problems overcome I meant the extenuating circumstances you mentioned, that will allow the tutors to put what you achieved into context and it will therefore look even more impressive! :smile:

Regarding your AS level choices, they may not be 'ideal' but they're not going to not consider you for that reason. That's why I said it would be a good idea to say in your reference that pure Economics is not offered at your school, because it will explain why you're doing Econ & Business even though it's not as respected by some people - they'll probably be impressed you took it up as the closest thing to Economics you could get, so it should be fine! I agree with dancinginrainbows that Maths, RS and Psychology would probably be the best ones to take on to A2, if you can, but substituting Econ and Business would probably still be fine if you can't take RS on to A2.

For the TSA, it's designed to be something that you can't really prepare for, but I don't think that's true to be honest, I did lots of preparation and it helped. Do all the preceding practice papers if you can as they do ask some similar questions year on year, and if you run out of those, try the OCR Critical Thinking AS papers, I did that subject for AS and it helped a lot for the exam. The TSA will basically decide if you get an interview and if you have a really good score it can pretty much secure you a place as long as you don't mess up the interview, but don't worry too much about it.

Good luck and if you have other questions I'll gladly help out if I can!

Sugar, I totally forgot to mention, I also have a D in short-course PE. :colondollar: My school sent off an assessment conducted during my year 8 sports day, which translated to an E for my practical. I am, however, content with my grade because I provoked a 10 year ban on the school taking the qualification for the near future. Needless to say I was annoyed, more so, seeing as I have a natural predisposition to poor motor skills owing to my Aspergers Syndrome. :erm:

I might investigate the RS further, but definitely want to pursue Economics and Business, I adore the subject - both parts. I actually started the Critical Thinking AS last year and achieved a modest C in the first unit, should I finish it off to help with the TSA. I found it rather valuable as I often struggle to write in a succinct fashion, since elements of my OCD dictate the way I behave when I write.

Thank you once again! :biggrin:

EDIT: Excuse me if i'm not making much sense, I haven't had much sleep.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending