The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fluteflute
Where did you see that? Maths is required. But Further Maths isn't required...

See also: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/ugrad/Frequently_asked_questions#Do_I_need_Further_Maths.3F

'The A* must be obtained in Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics or Computing.'

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/computer_science/computer_science__1.html :frown:
Original post by translucent
'The A* must be obtained in Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics or Computing.'

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/computer_science/computer_science__1.html :frown:

That doesn't say that Further Maths is required at all. The conditional offer is always A*AA, but it's specified. So you must get an A* in one of those four subjects, and two As in any other two A levels, for a total of one A* and two As.
Original post by suicidaloverbusiness
Am I mistaken in assuming this post was directed towards me? :embarrassed:

If so, I do apologise. :colondollar:

Sorry, it was directed towards you - I'm not used to forums haha!
Original post by izzabellezi
Sorry, it was directed towards you - I'm not used to forums haha!

Oh. :h: It's fine, and thank you. :biggrin:
Original post by Apostropartheid
That doesn't say that Further Maths is required at all. The conditional offer is always A*AA, but it's specified. So you must get an A* in one of those four subjects, and two As in any other two A levels, for a total of one A* and two As.

Thanks for clearing that up must have missed that, I guess I do stand a chance :colondollar:
Just to confirm what FluteFlute, Apostropartheid and others have said: our standard conditional offer for A Level candidates applying to Computer Science at Oxford, is A*AA, with at least an A in Maths. The A* has to be either in Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Computing. So, Maths is essential. We highly recommend Further Maths A Level, but understand that not all schools offer it, and consider students without it. The vast majority of our A Level-taking successful applicants do have it, but not all. We also suggest an science subject such as Physics.

We are also more than happy to see candidates taking Scottish Highers, and all sorts of other non-A Level qualifications. Our standard conditional offer for Scottish Higher candidates is AAAAB or AAAAA supplemented by two or more Advanced Highers - normally AA for two subjects, and AAB for three subjects, including an A grade for Maths. So again, Maths is essential. As long as you've Maths/Science subjects we certainly wouldn't mind you having taken other subjects/subjects early. We'll probably notice your enthusiasm and time management skills.

Taking Computing certainly isn't a bad idea if it gives you more of an insight into the subject before you apply to us. Our courses starts from first principles, so we aren't looking for students with any particular computer science knowledge. But we are looking for students with a real passion for the subject, and to quote one of our tutors "we value any knowledge that students come to us with already." More about that here. It refers to A Levels, but the principle is the same whatever qualifications you're studying for.

When filling out your UCAS form you must tell us about your results in any qualification for which you have been awarded a certificate, even if you are taking the qualification again with the hope of improving your results. You may think that, for example, poor results or less relevant subjects may make your application look bad, but it looks much worse if we subsequently find out that you have hidden them.

We've got some free Computer Science events coming up if anyone's interested in learning more about CS at Oxford. I appreciate it's a bit of a trek from Scotland, but just in case...

Hope that helps.
(edited 12 years ago)
I only did Further Maths as an AS Level, and didn't start it till my second year of A Levels - thus it wasn't on my UCAS form when I applied to Oxford in 2003 (my school basically made me choose between music and further maths due to timetabling issues).
Students aren't more likely to be chosen because they study further maths (as indicated, not all schools offer it) - although it's obviously the case that those that study it are likely to do better at the MAT test, thus indirectly increase their chances.
I want to study law. My GCSEs are:

Eng Lang: A*
Eng Lit: A*
Maths: A*
Biology: A*
Physics: A*
D.T: A*
History: A*
Geography: A
Chemistry: B
Spanish: B

Would this be good enough?
Original post by Amhorangerdgerriug
I want to study law. My GCSEs are:

Eng Lang: A*
Eng Lit: A*
Maths: A*
Biology: A*
Physics: A*
D.T: A*
History: A*
Geography: A
Chemistry: B
Spanish: B

Would this be good enough?

Looks fine. Obviously you also need the LNAT so good idea to think about preparing for that :smile:
Original post by Festina lente
Looks fine. Obviously you also need the LNAT so good idea to think about preparing for that :smile:

Excellent. Thanks for your help.
Okay, so in my School i'm starting Oxbridge tutoring after being submitted into it by my Sixth Form. Although I am extremely reluctant in doing so just incase I don't get an offer due to my poor GCSE results. So i'm just politely asking for advice haha. My results are:
English Literature - A
English Language - A
Maths - B
Biology - B
Chemistry - B
Physics - C
History - A
Drama - B
Geography - B
Welsh Short-Course - D
I also passed Welsh Bacc.
At A-Level i'm studying English Lit, History, Sociology & the A2 of Religious Studies (sat the AS in year 10). I also do sports, volunteering, i'm about to do DoE and i'm a regular church-go'er (although that doesn't really count for much when applying to university hahaha). I am also Head Boy of my School. So I was just wondering is it worth me applying for Oxford? Or will it just be a wasted application spot?

Thanks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jaameswilliams
x
What do you want to apply for?
What do you want to apply for?

Woops, forgot to include that! I'm going to apply for Law.
I think it would probably be better for you to use the "space" to apply somewhere else. You have a chance, but it's very slim.

http://www.law.ox.ac.uk/undergraduate/admitfaqscourse1.php
Most of those admitted will either hold or be predicted to obtain all As at A-level (or equivalent), and will already have an outstanding group of GCSEs (or equivalent) dominated by A*s and As.
English Literature - A
" Language - A*
Maths - (got a B, but resitting and predicted an A)
Physics - A
Biology - A
Chemistry - A
Spanish - A*
German - A/A*
History - A/A*
Geography - A
Law - A
Drama - A
R.E/R.S - A*
Citizenship - A*

I'm going to study the IB course at a different Sixth Form (I'm currently at a comprehensive school, but have an offer for a grammar school)... Are my grades good enough to read history?
Reply 1295
Okay, so in my School i'm starting Oxbridge tutoring after being submitted into it by my Sixth Form. Although I am extremely reluctant in doing so just incase I don't get an offer due to my poor GCSE results. So i'm just politely asking for advice haha. My results are:
English Literature - A
English Language - A
Maths - B
Biology - B
Chemistry - B
Physics - C
History - A
Drama - B
Geography - B
Welsh Short-Course - D
I also passed Welsh Bacc.
At A-Level i'm studying English Lit, History, Sociology & the A2 of Religious Studies (sat the AS in year 10). I also do sports, volunteering, i'm about to do DoE and i'm a regular church-go'er (although that doesn't really count for much when applying to university hahaha). I am also Head Boy of my School. So I was just wondering is it worth me applying for Oxford? Or will it just be a wasted application spot?

Thanks.

In all honestly, I think your Oxbridge chances are fairly remote. Your GCSEs will rally hamper you. To put it into context, I also applied for Law at Oxford and was worried that my GCSEs (A*A*A*A*A*A*AAAA) might let me down slightly in comparision to many applicants who have straight A*s. However, GCSEs aren't the only part of an application, so if you excel at AS, the LNAT, and then at interview (although with your GCSEs an interview is by no means guaranteed) then you could still get in, but it will be very tough.

Your extra-currics are very good by the way, but Oxford are unlikely to pay much, if any, attention to them. You might also want to try for some Law-related work experience, Pinsent Masons do a very good scheme.

If you do very very well in your AS grades then you could still go for Cambridge, who put much more emphasis on AS UMS marks. Out of interest, where else are you thinking of applying? Because your GCSEs could also hold you back with regard to other high ranking universities.

Good luck with it anyway. You only get one chance (normally) at applying to uni, so if you really want to try for Oxbridge then just do it!
Original post by mevidek
English Literature - A
" Language - A*
Maths - (got a B, but resitting and predicted an A)
Physics - A
Biology - A
Chemistry - A
Spanish - A*
German - A/A*
History - A/A*
Geography - A
Law - A
Drama - A
R.E/R.S - A*
Citizenship - A*

I'm going to study the IB course at a different Sixth Form (I'm currently at a comprehensive school, but have an offer for a grammar school)... Are my grades good enough to read history?
That sort of grades will definitely be fine :smile:
That sort of grades will definitely be fine :smile:

Are/were you a student at Oxford?

(I'm a Cambridge-lover myself actually - I was just wondering if my chances at Oxford were good)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Matthew-json
To put things into perspective, in the past weeks I have been browsing UCAS for universities to attend for Law/Jurisprudence, and quite obviously, Oxford has become my most preferred uni. Albeit I have encountered a problem; during my GCSEs I had become complacent and didn't perform in the slightest as I had hoped, now the results aren't horrendous but they aren't tremendous by Oxford standards.
A* - History (1)
A - English Literature, English Language, Science, Mathematics, IT (x2), Geography, and Religious Studies (8)
B - Graphic Products, Welsh, Additional Science (3)
AAA - Intermediate Welsh Baccalaureate (3)

Currently, I'm studying AS English Literature, Geography, History, Government & Politics, Advanced Welsh Baccalaureate, and the Extended Project - All predicted A grades. To supplement these, I have taken part in helping younger audiences in an exhibition designed to establish their creative thinking, 'Eversheds Unlocked', am in a team organising an event expected to bring an audience of twenty thousand and more, and studying for the Level 2 Award in Leadership & Management (Institude of Leadership and Management) outside of school.

My main worry is that my application will be overlooked and thus one option has been wasted - obviously Oxford can be as picky as they so please, so keeping hopes low. If there are any mistakes, I will try to correct them but it's late and iPods aren't cooperative. Warwick and UCL are my next choices.

Thanks,
Matt

The immediate thing that occurs to me is whether Welsh counts as a language! You should check for both Oxford and UCL unless someone else on TSR can confirm that this is OK.

Subject to this, your grades are within the range in which Oxford offers are made. You do not need 13 A* grades to get in and 13* grades do not guarantee entry.
Original post by Matthew-json
Thanks for the quick reply, I will look into the Welsh language situation. And obviously a good LNAT score will always sweeten the GCSE grades :wink:

On the whole the LNAT isn't that important. It gets you to the interview, and from then its importance diminshes rapidy. A score of 21+ should suffice for interview and from then its game on.

Latest

Trending

Trending