The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mevidek

Are/were you a student at Oxford?

(I'm a Cambridge-lover myself actually - I was just wondering if my chances at Oxford were good)
I will be in October! (grades permitting :tongue:)

Your chances are as good as anyone elses, but you certainly can't assume you'll get in! Of course there's so much more to a univrsity application than GCSE grades, for instance the History Aptitude Test forms part of an Oxford application.
Original post by rdsnell

If you do very very well in your AS grades then you could still go for Cambridge, who put much more emphasis on AS UMS marks. Out of interest, where else are you thinking of applying? Because your GCSEs could also hold you back with regard to other high ranking universities.

Good luck with it anyway. You only get one chance (normally) at applying to uni, so if you really want to try for Oxbridge then just do it!

Cheers for the advice! My GCSEs were pretty awful overall, so I have no-one to blame but myself haha. It's a shame my Head of Sixth Form doesn't think like you and fails to see the bigger picture. I'm currently looking for relevant Work Experience so i'll definitely try with Pinsent Masons - thank you for that!

As far as other Universities go, one definite choice would be Cardiff. I've also thought about Swansea (my hometown) and Sussex . I'm predicted an A in History, an A in English Literature and a B in Sociology so if you could recommend a few Universities that would accept my grades i'd be grateful, I haven't got a the foggiest fudge if i'm honest :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jaameswilliams
Cheers for the advice! My GCSEs were pretty awful overall, so I have no-one to blame but myself haha. It's a shame my Head of Sixth Form doesn't think like you and fails to see the bigger picture. I'm currently looking for relevant Work Experience so i'll definitely try with Pinsent Masons - thank you for that!

As far as other Universities go, one definite choice would be Cardiff. I've also thought about Swansea (my hometown) and Sussex . I'm predicted an A in History, an A/B in English Literature and a B in Sociology so if you could recommend a few Universities that would accept my grades i'd be grateful, I haven't got a the foggiest fudge if i'm honest :frown:

If those are your predicted AS grades, it really seems like Oxford would be a long reach...

Most people will have predictions of AAAA for AS Level, or will achieve that even if they weren't initially predicted to, when thinking of applying to Oxbridge.

Schools can have big dreams for their strongest pupils, but it doesn't mean that they can be realised nor should always be pursued. It seems odd that they are pushing you to apply when they haven't predicted you the grades that you would need...

Best place is to look on the UCAS website and see what the grade requirements for Law courses across the country are.
If I got 3 B's in my GCSEs, English, English Lit and French, would these be too bad if I wanted to do a degree t Oxford for Geography or Comp sci?

Also, I got an A in Maths in year 10, woll this put me at a disadvantage?
Reply 1304
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
If I got 3 B's in my GCSEs, English, English Lit and French, would these be too bad if I wanted to do a degree t Oxford for Geography or Comp sci?

Also, I got an A in Maths in year 10, woll this put me at a disadvantage?

No, I got about 4 or 5 GCSEs at a grade B or below, so I wouldn't worry. Especially not for Comp Sci, where the MAT is far more important.
Reply 1305
Original post by jaameswilliams

As far as other Universities go, one definite choice would be Cardiff. I've also thought about Swansea (my hometown) and Sussex . I'm predicted an A in History, an A in English Literature and a B in Sociology so if you could recommend a few Universities that would accept my grades i'd be grateful, I haven't got a the foggiest fudge if i'm honest :frown:

No problem at all, GCSEs aren't the only part of an application anyway.
Pinsent Masons do run a really superb scheme - normally lasts for a week and they rotate you round a different department every day, also giving up talks on different areas of law in the mornings.

With regard to other unis, Cardiff would be a good fit for you I think, although that is AAA which exceeds the predictions you have at the minute. The majority of good unis only offer AAA for Law, so I'd advise busting a gut to get those grades at AS and being predicted them at A2. I used to play football at Sussex uni every week and it's a very nice campus, plus the offer is AAB and I've heard that they've just out a lot of new investment into their Law Faculty. I also believe that Reading offer AAB, so that could be worth a look. Birmingham offer AAA or A*AB, so that could be worth a shot as well. As another poster has suggested, UCAS course search is a good tool to use, so just have a look around on that for a bit.

If you want any other advice about it all just drop me a message and I'll try and give you a hand if I can!
Original post by Noble.
No, I got about 4 or 5 GCSEs at a grade B or below, so I wouldn't worry. Especially not for Comp Sci, where the MAT is far more important.

Thanks, so I dont presume this would be a problem for UNIQ either? What is MAT?
Original post by nulli tertius
The immediate thing that occurs to me is whether Welsh counts as a language! You should check for both Oxford and UCL unless someone else on TSR can confirm that this is OK.

Subject to this, your grades are within the range in which Oxford offers are made. You do not need 13 A* grades to get in and 13* grades do not guarantee entry.

I don't think Oxford requires any language qualification for the standard three year course (or the Law with European Law course).
Original post by Festina lente
I don't think Oxford requires any language qualification for the standard three year course (or the Law with European Law course).

The Oxford matriculation requirement has become a bit hazy.

The rules are now:

In order to be matriculated as student members candidates must show evidence of an appropriate educational background and good standards of literacy and numeracy.

Acceptance by a college for presentation for matriculation will be deemed to be adequate evidence of an appropriate educational background, of good standards of literacy and numeracy, and of qualifications to study the course.

There is then a footnote:

GCSE passes at grade C and above in English Language, in a Mathematics or Science Subject, and in a language other than English and at least two A-level passes (or the equivalent in AS levels or a mixture of A and AS levels) would normally satisfy these requirements, as would an appropriate level of attainment in other qualifications such as Scottish Highers, the Irish Leaving Certificate, BTEC National Certificate, an Open University Foundation Course Credit, the European and International Baccalaureates, and degrees of other universities.

Prior to 2002, the matriculation requirement was a university requirement but now, as you can see, the university is relying on the admitting college to judge the adequacy of the qualifications.

The footnoted examples insofar as they relate to GCSE and A levels are the old matric requirements. The fact that Oxford does not require GCSE maths is as old as the hills. The pre-O level, School Certificate only required a pass in maths or a science rather than both and Oxford has stuck with this despite all changes in 16+ education since 1950.

Goodness knows what AS levels would be deemed to be the equivalent of EE at A level.

With regard to the OP, clearly Welsh is literally a language other than English , but it isn't quite in the same class as French, German or even Latin.

In eras where a language GCSE has not been compulsory, it has operated as a bar to a significant number of candidates.
Original post by Matthew-json
Thanks for your debate and consideration; I have looked into GCSE Welsh acceptance in Oxford admission but to no avail. However, is this lack of language that detrimental to my application? Cheers.

Please see my previous post. A language is necessary for admission to Oxford unless your college wants to go out on a limb and admit you in defiance of the normally accepted requirements.

The key thing is whether Welsh is a language for these purposes.
Reply 1310
To put things into perspective, in the past weeks I have been browsing UCAS for universities to attend for Law/Jurisprudence, and quite obviously, Oxford has become my most preferred uni. Albeit I have encountered a problem; during my GCSEs I had become complacent and didn't perform in the slightest as I had hoped, now the results aren't horrendous but they aren't tremendous by Oxford standards.
A* - History (1)
A - English Literature, English Language, Science, Mathematics, IT (x2), Geography, and Religious Studies (8)
B - Graphic Products, Welsh, Additional Science (3)
AAA - Intermediate Welsh Baccalaureate (3)

Currently, I'm studying AS English Literature, Geography, History, Government & Politics, Advanced Welsh Baccalaureate, and the Extended Project - All predicted A grades. To supplement these, I have taken part in helping younger audiences in an exhibition designed to establish their creative thinking, 'Eversheds Unlocked', am in a team organising an event expected to bring an audience of twenty thousand and more, and studying for the Level 2 Award in Leadership & Management (Institude of Leadership and Management) outside of school.

My main worry is that my application will be overlooked and thus one option has been wasted - obviously Oxford can be as picky as they so please, so keeping hopes low. If there are any mistakes, I will try to correct them but it's late and iPods aren't cooperative. Warwick and UCL are my next choices.

Thanks,
Matt

Can you give more information on the level 2 award what does it involve?
Found this on the Law course page on the Oxford admissions website.

Candidates are also expected to have at least a C grade in GCSE mathematics,
or other evidence to demonstrate that they are appropriately numerate. Apart
from this, the choice of subjects is up to you. There is no particular advantage
or disadvantage to studying Law before you apply.Candidates applying for Law
with Law Studies in Europe would be expected to have the relevant modern
language to A-level, Advanced Higher, or Higher Level in the IB or any other equivalent. However, if the candidate wishes to spend their third year of study
in the Netherlands (studying European and International Law), then a modern
language is not essential since the course is taught in English.

Seems to suggest that a language is not essential (if Welsh isn't regarded) if you are applying for Law, however Law with Law Studies in Europe would require one, as you would expect.

It isn't a course requirement. It is a matriculation requirement

http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/examregs/04-00_REGULATIONS_FOR_MATRICULATION_OF_STUDENT_MEMBERS.shtml
Reply 1312
Non,
To go into detail would be lengthy and tiresome at this moment in time.
This will explain just as well...
www.i-l-m.com/learn-with-ilm/1036.aspx
Cheers

thank you and just email oxford themselves.
From the application do oxford know our module grades? as in would they know if we had A's with 80% or 100%

Is having to put our AS grades down as well as predicted grades a new thing for the UCAS application?
So I have received a reply, as follows.
"Welsh, like any other language will satisfy the
requirement of the college. The only
disadvantage is that they might require a full
GCSE instead of half a GCSE in another language."

I'd email Oxford, as the poster above suggests. I'd be very interested to see the reply too, as I had never heard about this until nulli tertius posted it. As it happens I had a GCSE in a European language so it would never have come up.
Original post by Spellstheend
From the application do oxford know our module grades? as in would they know if we had A's with 80% or 100%

Is having to put our AS grades down as well as predicted grades a new thing for the UCAS application?
No they will not know. (Although if you get close to 100%, these marks can be mentioned in your teacher's reference to make you look good.)

It's sort of a new thing - rules about funding for state funded sixth form students have changed. (The background to this is slightly complicated, but ask if you really care...)
Would having a strong set of GCSEs be rather critical if my college has adopted a linear system? (IE: doing AS-levels in Jan Year 13, and then A2s in the june of the same year, rather than AS year 12 and A2 year 13).

I got 8 A*s, 3 As, and then an A in Additional Mathematics (where A is the maximum grade attainable); would this be enough to make up for the lack of AS grades I can supply to Oxford to prove my ability?

(NB: Predicted grades for AS/A2 are given, but no real marks).

Cheers.
Original post by Waldmeister
Would having a strong set of GCSEs be rather critical if my college has adopted a linear system? (IE: doing AS-levels in Jan Year 13, and then A2s in the june of the same year, rather than AS year 12 and A2 year 13).

I got 8 A*s, 3 As, and then an A in Additional Mathematics (where A is the maximum grade attainable); would this be enough to make up for the lack of AS grades I can supply to Oxford to prove my ability?

(NB: Predicted grades for AS/A2 are given, but no real marks).

Cheers.

Which subject?
Original post by Festina lente
Which subject?

*facepalm* I'll be applying for Law. Also, my current AS subjects: Latin, Physics, Mathematics, History, and Music (which is actually a Pre-U and so perhaps significantly more respectable than the standard A-level...!)
I like trains.

Latest

Trending

Trending