The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1520
Original post by bilal95
What is the typical offer for maths at oxford and does it require you to get a certain grade in th step paper? Moreover, do most successful candidates have many maths competitions they have won (UKMT etc.) and how much affect will an application have if they haven't had a chance to do many maths competitions?

The standard offer for Maths in 2013 will be A*A*A (with the A*s being in Maths and Further Maths), or A*AA (if not taking further maths).

Oxford do not normally use the STEP examinations as part of their offer for Maths (though once upon a time they did encourage you to do it anyway), but instead have a separate admissions test that you take in November:
http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/specimen-tests

I can't speak about admissions for Maths nowadays, but I'd never entered any maths competitions prior to my application (admittedly that was 15 years ago) - Oxford really don't care that much about extra-curricular activities, it's all about your academic achievement and evidence of motivation and potential.
Reply 1521
Hi all, (I have been lurking since a lot of time, now I have signed in)
I premit that I am studying outside UK (in Italy), so I'm referring to another education's system.
I read this topic but I consider appropriate to ask the same, due to the different education system.
Here we study about 11 subjects at high school, which is divided into two parts: Gymnasium (2 years) and Lyceum (3 last years).
At the end of every year, we get marks for every subject, in a range from 1 to 10, whereas you have to get at least a 6 (in every subject) to pass to the next year.
At the end of the high school, we have a final exam, in which you can report from 0 to 100, whereas 60/100 is the minimum to obtain the certificate.
(I think I can obtain 100/100) Oxford's site says that an "AAA"result corrisponds to 95/100.

In the current year I'm taking: Ancient Greek (Language + Literature), Latin (Language + Literature), Italian Literature, English (Language +Literature), History, Philosophy, History of Art, Sciences (Chemistry and Biology), Mathematics, Physics, Physical education, [Religion, which was optional]

At Gymnasium I also studied, in addiction at these ones, Geography, Informatics and

Now, the problem is that I reported some very bad module grades at the beginning of the current year (something like, in the Uk system, DDD etc.): I moved to another town and school, so I had some problems of "comprehension" with new teachers (I have also a troubled family situation),
anyway after two months I were improved a lot and studying hours and hours, and now I am one of the best students in the class.

So, will these bad grades: 1. be seen? 2. preclude me any possibility of being admitted?
(I read the user who in the previous page posted his Cs' marks, but I think mine are even worse.)

Of course I think I should try anyway, but what I want to know is what now I can do to increase my chances.

How do you think it is the Oxford's grade policy compared to other top-universities' one?

Is there someone who knows/can ask to an oxonian who has studied in Italy?

Thank you very much, and sorry for the time :wink:

P.S. The course to wich I'd like to apply is PPE.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tooambitious
do you take into account UMSs mentioned in applications even though the university doesn't require them? I've been told even if I score >95% and my referees mention them, they won't help my application

Yes -- we take into account everything we know about you.

(Sorry for the delay in replying.)
I'm an American IB student.
HL
Math - 6
English - 7
Psychology - 7
History - 7/6 (my teacher has yet to decide)

SL
French - 6
Biology - 7

My AP's
European History - 5
Art History - 4
Statistics - 3
US History (taking this year) - predicted 4/5
Calculus AB (taking this year) -predicted 4/5
Spanish (taking this year) - not officially, but I would predict a 3/4
English Language/Composition (this year) - predicted 5
Micro/Macro (will take next year)
World History (next year)
Calculus BC (next year)
French (next year)
Psychology (next year)
Biology (next year)
English literature (next year)

My SATs
Composite of 2350
Writing -790 English - 780 Math - 780
I havent taken SAT II's yet, but I'm going to take Math II, US History, English II, French, Spanish

I know my AP scores aren't stellar, so I'm rather worried. That said, would I have a chance for PPE?
Original post by gavinlowe
Yes -- we take into account everything we know about you.

(Sorry for the delay in replying.)

Excellent, thank you very much!
No worries :smile:
Reply 1525
Original post by Teacupcats
HL
Math - 6
English - 7
Psychology - 7

SL
French - 6
Biology - 7

My AP's
European History - 5
Art History - 4
Statistics - 3
Calculus BC (next year)
French (next year)
Psychology (next year)
Biology (next year)

My SATs
Composite of 2350
I havent taken SAT II's yet, but I'm going to take Math II, US History, English II, French, Spanish

I know my AP scores aren't stellar, so I'm rather worried. That said, would I have a chance for PPE?

How do you take the IB and the AP? 0_o or is AP an out of school thing?
I don't think you have to report your AP grades since you have your full IB Diploma. Moreover, IB is weighted more than AP grades.
Original post by graceburch
Just for anyone that's worried about not having amazing GCSE's, I got pretty bad results but did really well in my AS levels and proved myself at the interview. If you have the passion (and have done the extra reading) for your subject, then never let having average or below average GCSE's put you off. My GCSE's;

A*-Religious Studies
A*-English Literature
A-History
B-English Language
B-Art
B-ICT
C-Single Science
C-Maths
C-Drama
C-Music

AS's were AAAA in English Lit, Religious Studies, Philosophy and History.

Yes my gcse's are kinda embarrassing, but they didnt even mention them at the interview
and now I'm starting Christchurch college in October as long as I get AAA this year. This
isn't to show off but just for those that may be worried, it nearly put me off applying and
I'm bloodie glad I did. :smile:
C

If you call it "Christchurch college" there, you may find yourself confronted by some very irate people.
Original post by Teacupcats
HL
Math - 6
English - 7
Psychology - 7

SL
French - 6
Biology - 7

My AP's
European History - 5
Art History - 4
Statistics - 3
Calculus BC (next year)
French (next year)
Psychology (next year)
Biology (next year)

My SATs
Composite of 2350

Haha, I think you would, with an IB score of 40+.
Hell, with that sort of SAT score, why not go for Harvard/Yale/Princeton?
Yep, another one :rolleyes: But I'm becoming increasingly worried with where I stand...

My GCSEs:

A* (English Language)
A* (Religious Studies - but my school only offered it as half a GCSE, so I don't think it counts? :s-smilie:)
A (English Literature)
A (Art)
B (French)
B (Geography)
B (Graphics)
B (Biology)
B (Chemistry)
B (Physics)
C (Maths)

Not incredible by any stretch of the imagination, but they were for the school I went to - discounting the people that did BTEC courses (my school included them in their top 20 list), I was in the top 10 in my year in terms of GCSE grades. My school performed below the national average, but I'm not sure by how much. They're flagged by Manchester University though, as is the college I'm currently going to. I don't know how much Oxford takes league performance into account, though :dontknow:

At the moment I'm taking three AS Levels at college: English Language, English Literature and History. My college doesn't offer much in the way of A Levels, and I couldn't see myself committing to a subject I didn't enjoy; hence, the lack of a fourth AS Level. I'm well aware that this is an issue and therefore I am hoping to take up a fourth AS in Year 13 that I could teach myself. Maybe Classical Civilisation? I don't know. But would this be an issue if I did a fourth AS a year late?

Anyway, I know I can't supply any AS grades. (I could supply predicted grades, but they're based solely upon my GCSE grades and I don't think they're a good indicator.) At the present moment in time I think it seems unlikely that I will get straight A's; I've been struggling with ill health recently, and have missed a ton of lectures. It's nothing more than a dream. But hey, I can dream. Maybe I will do well. And if I do get straight A's...should I apply? Should I bother? I want to take either Classics or English Literature, but as I know the latter is ridiculously popular, is it worth it?

(Reading back through what I've just written, and I'm sorry if I sound rude or jumbled. I've been revising all day and I'm pretty sure I'm dying. Anyway, I'll be happy if someone can give me advice. Thank you) :smile:
Reply 1529
Hello

I completed A Level Math in Year 12 is it acceptable to oxford?
Yes, why wouldn't it be?
Reply 1531
No, if you haven't done it by year 8 you get instantly rejected - unless you're applying for English, then it should have been done in year 6.
Reply 1532
Hello :smile:
I want to study engineering here but I am unsure if I will even get an interview;
I am currently a Y13 student and hope to get A*AA (Maths, Further Maths and physics) by the end of this year, however my GCSE's are distinctly under par (A*A*AABBBBC) A* in Maths and Science however.
I was just wondering what my chances would be if I did lots of extra curricular work over the summer and did a year in industry for engineering next year?
So basically, would my GCSEs hold me back for an engineering course at oxford?
and despite the grade requirements being A*AA would I need to exceed this to stand a realistic chance?.
Thank youu!
Reply 1533
According to http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Law

Oxford has become a lot more competitive for law! Now requiring on average 603 UCAS points?! :O
For the last few years it's only hovered around 520 - 530.... :frown:
Original post by Eddyward
According to http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Law

Oxford has become a lot more competitive for law! Now requiring on average 603 UCAS points?! :O
For the last few years it's only hovered around 520 - 530.... :frown:

That's the average of what offer holders get in their exams..

you only need AAA.
Original post by Tsunami2011
That's the average of what offer holders get in their exams..

you only need AAA.

It is also largely a function of the spread of the International Baccalaureate in independent schools.

The people behind the IB did manage to con UCAS into giving very high points awards. An IB score of 40 is 611 UCAS points. Internationally 5.85% of IB candidates attain that score.

The equivalent at A level is A*A*A*A* b which equates to 610 points. Very few candidates, and certainly not 5% of candidates, doing A levels get that score or higher.
Reply 1536
Original post by nulli tertius
It is also largely a function of the spread of the International Baccalaureate in independent schools.

The people behind the IB did manage to con UCAS into giving very high points awards. An IB score of 40 is 611 UCAS points. Internationally 5.85% of IB candidates attain that score.

The equivalent at A level is A*A*A*A* b which equates to 610 points. Very few candidates, and certainly not 5% of candidates, doing A levels get that score or higher.

I'm in the IB and believe me 40 is not easy to get. In addition, the minimum requirement for IB is 39 with a 7,6,6 in HL, whilst A levels are only required to obtain AAA.
I'm in the IB and believe me 40 is not easy to get. In addition, the minimum requirement for IB is 39 with a 7,6,6 in HL, whilst A levels are only required to obtain AAA.

I did not say 40 was easy to get in IB.

Please read my post which is about average UCAS points.

Someone posted that the average UCAS point score for Oxford entrants was 603.

AAA at A level is 360 (or if one assumes AAAa, 420). 600 is A*A*A*A a and 610 is A*A*A*A*b

A far greater percentage of IB students score 40 (610 UCAS points) than A level students attain A*A*A*A a or A*A*A*A*b
Reply 1538
Original post by nulli tertius
I did not say 40 was easy to get in IB.

Please read my post which is about average UCAS points.

Someone posted that the average UCAS point score for Oxford entrants was 603.

AAA at A level is 360 (or if one assumes AAAa, 420). 600 is A*A*A*A a and 610 is A*A*A*A*b

A far greater percentage of IB students score 40 (610 UCAS points) than A level students attain A*A*A*A a or A*A*A*A*b

Yes, but wouldn't you have to include the fact that it is international. I'm not trying to belittle the English education system, but the UK does rank just above the OECD average (for secondary education). It would not be too shocking that more students obtained 40's in comparison to the UCAS equivalent in A levels.

The point I'm trying to make is that Oxford's requirements for Law are much lower for A levels than IB. I'm sure Oxford doesn't give out many conditional offers requiring A level students acquire A*A*A*A a.

When compared to other UK universities, like LSE or UCL. They only require 38 with 7,6,6 or 6,6,6 at HL. For A levels they require A*AA, which is higher than Oxford, but lower in the IB spectrum. My bias opinion would be that this is a much better comparison compared to Oxford's requirements.

In addition, I would like to point out that Oxford in general doesn't accept that many IB students. They have only about 1000 IB undergraduates at Oxford currently, as stated by their posters.
Yes, but wouldn't you have to include the fact that it is international. I'm not trying to belittle the English education system, but the UK does rank just above the OECD average (for secondary education). It would not be too shocking that more students obtained 40's in comparison to the UCAS equivalent in A levels.

That is a fair point but it is very hard to get at IB scores on a country by country basis.

The point I'm trying to make is that Oxford's requirements for Law are much lower for A levels than IB. I'm sure Oxford doesn't give out many conditional offers requiring A level students acquire A*A*A*A a.

But you were answering me and so you have to address the point I was making. I am not discussing the offers made by Oxford but the average UCAS points of those who were admitted.

When compared to other UK universities, like LSE or UCL. They only require 38 with 7,6,6 or 6,6,6 at HL. For A levels they require A*AA, which is higher than Oxford, but lower in the IB spectrum. My bias opinion would be that this is a much better comparison compared to Oxford's requirements.

With respect all very interesting but so is the fact that the capital of North Dakota is Bismark. Neither is relevant to the point I am making.

In addition, I would like to point out that Oxford in general doesn't accept that many IB students. They have only about 1000 IB undergraduates at Oxford currently, as stated by their posters.

Is that material put out by the IB organisers?

Oxford's own admissions statistics state that for 2011 admission only 172 IB candidates took up a place (216 offers) compared with 2295 (2471 offers) A level students.

If someone is suggesting 1000, it seems to me that they are aggregating all years plus post-grad.

Latest

Trending

Trending