The Student Room Group

Struggling to insert tampon...

So I tried using a tampon this morning for the first time, I didn't have an applicator so tried pushing it in and this is gonna sound stupid but couldn't push it up at all? I don't know if I'm just REALLY tight as I've never had sex or anything but has anyone else ever found this?

I tried using a mirror and to be honest my hole is tiny and looks like it has something blocking it :confused: I'm so confused...and what makes it worse is that I'm partly using a tampon as I have my first boyfriend now so obviously want to have sex soon but what if he can't find it either :confused: HELP????
Reply 1
Hello, I am a bloke and responding cos no one else has.

The covering you can see is your hymenn, all wonan have this and it is usually broken during sex for the first time, or when you insert a tampon.

now, pl cld one of the women on tsr explain how to insert a tampon, as this is outside my area of expertise
Bless you Itdib for trying!

Anon, try a finger first - if you can get that up, a tampon should be no trouble. Applicator tampons are by far easier, so I'd suggest one of them. If you can't get one, put some lube (KY jelly etc, or even a tiny bit of vaseline) on the tampon so it can go in easier. When I first started I had trouble aiming properly - you need to aim towards the small of your back, not straight upwards.
gonna anon this as there is some quite *personal* advice from experience here.

I must have tried about 10 times to put a tampon in before finally succeeding- don't give up! you might be scared that you just can't do it/ there is a problem- but don't worry, everyone I know has gone through that and realised that it was just normal to find it hard to begin with.

One of the most important things is to remember to relax. I really can't stress this enough. Get in a comfortable position (I would suggest lying down), using a mirror is also deffinitely helpful, and take your time. try "bearing down", sort of like pushing or a pelvic floor exercise, you will feel your vagina contract, this opens it up a bit and may make it easier. DEFFINITELY use applicator tampons, I have been using tampons for about a year and still don't use any other kind. make sure you get PLASTIC, not cardboard, they are much, much easier to use because they are smooth. Buy some "lights" or "teen" ones, they will be smaller and specifically for beginners.

And lastly, lubrication. If you are dry it will be very uncomfortable. Either use vaselline or (this does work better, but it's up to you) - masturbate beforehand. it really does make it easier, you wouldn't have sex without being turned on, afterall, and natural lubrication is the best kind. It also opens up and relaxes your vagina, making it easier to insert a tampon.

keep trying! good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest