The Student Room Group

Why are exam boards still allowed to function when they get things so wrong?

This year, as we all know there have been so many mistakes in exams (I sat one of them) which in themselves are totally unacceptable.
But then there are so many mistakes in even the marking of exams:

A paper I sat and got given a U for (29/90) got sent back for a clerical remark (as in to check if they added the numbers up right). It came back as over 90% or A* equivalent. The content wasn't even remarked - it was just the wrong number had been given.

How are exam boards still allowed to function in their current system? This luckily didn't cost my a university place, but it could have!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
If this occurs more than sporadically with a specific board then I believe the exam centres should bring their custom elsewhere.
My italian side is also wondering whether the schools/colleges are provided with some sort of incentive by the boards (like free text books and such... hopefully nothing worse).
Well it's just it's happening across the country! Not many cases in each centre - but surely just the sheer number of mistakes they make should mean it is a national problem! My centre for one is brilliant school - just not catered for by the exam boards that should be trustworthy. Sigh.
Can I asks what exam board it was with because I have a similar problem but I'm waiting to get paper remarked in September :smile:
Original post by hannah60000
Can I asks what exam board it was with because I have a similar problem but I'm waiting to get paper remarked in September :smile:

OCR - but I'm waiting on a possible AQA error too :smile:
Reply 5
I'm going into As in a few days and I'm really worried about something like this happening to me :/
Reply 6
Original post by pianofluteftw

We once had something happen to us, except we didn't get the joy of a remark.

It was a psychology A-level exam, one of the modules (health psychology? I'm not sure it was 7 years ago) came back and everyone had a U. Students who normally got As and Bs, and had gotten As and Bs in everything else, had gotten Us. Some people got mad and kicked up a fuss about it, our sixth form head was a bit half-hearted but got in contact with the exam board. What I was told is that they just said they wouldn't re-mark it, according to the pyschology teacher, they knew they'd made a mistake but weren't really interested in correcting it. So....
Reply 7
I think the worst offender for this is AQA. Their markers are so unreliable, it's unreal.
Original post by Sorani
We once had something happen to us, except we didn't get the joy of a remark.

It was a psychology A-level exam, one of the modules (health psychology? I'm not sure it was 7 years ago) came back and everyone had a U. Students who normally got As and Bs, and had gotten As and Bs in everything else, had gotten Us. Some people got mad and kicked up a fuss about it, our sixth form head was a bit half-hearted but got in contact with the exam board. What I was told is that they just said they wouldn't re-mark it, according to the pyschology teacher, they knew they'd made a mistake but weren't really interested in correcting it. So....

Yeah Psychology seems to go wrong all the time - the same thing happened in my school in Jan (but they pushed for a remark :smile: )
Original post by pianofluteftw

:yep: AQA I've lost complete trust in exam marks how do I know any of my grades represent my effort and how well I did in the exam :/

Original post by Hazular
I think the worst offender for this is AQA. Their markers are so unreliable, it's unreal.

:yep: AQA typical heard a few complains including my own as well!

Quick Reply

Latest