The Student Room Group

UCL Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StockholmBoy
I'll give you my take on your situation as the previous answer was somewhat unhelpful.

UCL never interview you if they don't have any offers left to give. Also, being interviewed earlier doesn't necessarily mean you are more likely to get an offer as they may just as well be less inclined to give offers knowing that there are many more people left to be interviewed.

Try not to think about the fact that others are getting offers as something bad, we are all in this together :smile:

Contradictory statements there. Yes, you are correct in saying the Medical School only call you up to interview if there is a place. But the latter makes no sense whatsoever at all. There will always be many more people left to be interviewed, even after the middle of March... thousands of applicants in fact.
People are called up upon their individual merits and their offers are given solely on basis of their interview performance - that is to say, no thought is given to factors outside of the candidate's application and interview performance, for as far as the uni is concerned, this candidate fulfils everything to a degree UCL see fit, hence the high priority ranking they got given over many others to be short listed for interview. So yes, the earlier your interview does not mean you'll get better chances of an offer, it just means you impressed them more/satisfied their criteria better. But it also doesn't mean that they're less like to give out offers earlier on either. Same applies for the flipside, that they're more likely to give out offers near the end to fill up the a 'quota' as such.

Original post by hslakaal
Do you guys think it was stupid to choose the last date in a choice of interview dates? Like, perhaps they're all already filled up by the time I even have my interview... :s

Probs not, but just feeling a bit down hearing bout other internationals getting offers :frown:

Regardless of the date you pick, there will be a place for you as you've been called for interview. It would be a waste of everybody's time (and your money in particular) to call you up for an interview that is already determined to be a rejection. Well done on being an international and getting an interview, hope you do well and don't stress too much over it! :smile:
Original post by Constricule
has anyone else received an interview in february?

Me
First day of feb
Reply 982
Original post by shooby_doo
Me
First day of feb

If u dn't mind me asking, when did you get to know about your interview?
Original post by hslakaal
Do you guys think it was stupid to choose the last date in a choice of interview dates? Like, perhaps they're all already filled up by the time I even have my interview... :s

Probs not, but just feeling a bit down hearing bout other internationals getting offers :frown:

Yeah I'm an International too and haven't heard anything from them... the wait is killer :mad:
Reply 984
Original post by Hoppingbeans
Yeah I'm an International too and haven't heard anything from them... the wait is killer :mad:

you might consider emailing me them - because i had assumed i was classified international at one point and they sent me a very weird email about how the international places were filled up so i was hence "unlikely to be invited for interview as i haven't heard from them already " - turned out they HADN'T classified me as international in the end which was great news :smile:

so yeah, consider emailing them - might clear things up because i was worrying like mad earlier ^^ hopefully they've got good news for you as well!
Original post by purplefrog
Contradictory statements there. Yes, you are correct in saying the Medical School only call you up to interview if there is a place. But the latter makes no sense whatsoever at all. There will always be many more people left to be interviewed, even after the middle of March... thousands of applicants in fact.
People are called up upon their individual merits and their offers are given solely on basis of their interview performance - that is to say, no thought is given to factors outside of the candidate's application and interview performance, for as far as the uni is concerned, this candidate fulfils everything to a degree UCL see fit, hence the high priority ranking they got given over many others to be short listed for interview. So yes, the earlier your interview does not mean you'll get better chances of an offer, it just means you impressed them more/satisfied their criteria better. But it also doesn't mean that they're less like to give out offers earlier on either. Same applies for the flipside, that they're more likely to give out offers near the end to fill up the a 'quota' as such.

In what way are they contradictory? The points I was making were:

1. There are always offers to give out during the interview period.

2. You aren't necessarily more likely to be given an offer if you are interviewed earlier.

I then gave an example of how it is possible that offers are given out more easily during the end of the interview period even though it is generally accepted that it is the other way around.

You may not agree with the points I was making but that doesn't make them contradictory. Perhaps incorrect if you can prove them wrong in anyway but as long as one of the statements doesn't challenge the validity of the other it isn't a contradiction.
Reply 986
Rejection :/ Bloody fed up with Med school admissions
Reply 987
Original post by ab192

So sorry to hear that :/ are you an international student or a school leaver?
Reply 988
Original post by kookyuke
So sorry to hear that :/ are you an international student or a school leaver?

UK applicant on a gap year
Original post by ab192
UK applicant on a gap year

Sorry about the rejection.
This whole process is really draining for me too, especially when everyone around me has 3 offers or more :/.
Hopefully you'll have success with your other universities

Was this pre or post interview? I'm still waiting to hear from UCL :|
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by purplefrog
x

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by nk2012
you might consider emailing me them - because i had assumed i was classified international at one point and they sent me a very weird email about how the international places were filled up so i was hence "unlikely to be invited for interview as i haven't heard from them already " - turned out they HADN'T classified me as international in the end which was great news :smile:

so yeah, consider emailing them - might clear things up because i was worrying like mad earlier ^^ hopefully they've got good news for you as well!

I highly doubt so, I'm Indonesian and they can't classify me under anything else but International. And that's great news for you! Good luck and hope both of us hear something from UCL soon, I'm thinking it's a conspiracy to torture us all slowly and painfully :colone:
Original post by d3ra4eva
I was interviewed on the wed at 11, and got my offer this morning.

What were your GCSES? A-levels?

and how come someoeone with 4'As get rejected o-O
Reply 993
Original post by Davidragon
Sorry about the rejection.
This whole process is really draining for me too, especially when everyone around me has 3 offers or more :/.
Hopefully you'll have success with your other universities

Was this pre or post interview? I'm still waiting to hear from UCL :|

Post interview. I know it's tough, its just that I don't know what I've done wrong and this is my second attempt applying to medicine.
Good luck btw:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ab192
Post interview. I know it's tough, its just that I don't know what I've done wrong and this is my second attempt applying to medicine.
Good luck btw:smile:

It couldn't have been your academics because you got an interview...

Have you asked for feedback? Must have been something you said/ didn't say at interview that put them off ? :frown:
Reply 995
Original post by ab192

Exact same, thought the interview went alright but the other day a rejection letter came in the post. Gap year too, I have tried my hardest, I don't think I am doing medicine. Not anymore. Good luck to the rest of you guys!
Has anyone actually been rejected without an interview yet? Or is everyone still waiting to hear..
Original post by skiinglizzie
Has anyone actually been rejected without an interview yet? Or is everyone still waiting to hear..

Waiting to hear :frown:
Reply 998
Original post by kingcoltzan
It couldn't have been your academics because you got an interview...

Have you asked for feedback? Must have been something you said/ didn't say at interview that put them off ? :frown:

I've asked for feedback. I really don't know what I did, I answered everything without waffling and with enthusiasm etc. Definitely didn't say anything controversial or anything and I had a load to talk about from my personal statement and other things. No idea what they want, just have to wait to see:/
Original post by kingcoltzan
Waiting to hear :frown:

I think my academics are fairly good and my BMAT wasn't terrible. That leads me to think I wrote a terrible personal statement. Even more so because I haven't heard back from Nottingham either, and they invite in score order :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending