The Student Room Group

UCL Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1120
Original post by purplefrog
x

Hi, you seem to be quite clued up on UCL :tongue: so I was just wandering about the accommodation. I recently received an offer and it's most likely going to be my firm choice, and i was just gonna ask where most medical students stay or is it quite random?
Original post by jooles1
Hi, you seem to be quite clued up on UCL :tongue: so I was just wandering about the accommodation. I recently received an offer and it's most likely going to be my firm choice, and i was just gonna ask where most medical students stay or is it quite random?

random... and given medicine is the largest year group in UCL, there will be a good proportion of fresher medics in each hall (relative to its size)
Reply 1122
Original post by zoggles
Have an interview on the 9th Feb :biggrin: ahhh so exciting (well actually really scary!)
I did not do very well on the BMAT so there is definitely still hope for people in a similar situation to me!
eeeeeeep UCL!
what was your bmat score???
Reply 1123
Original post by Shalo1

Original post by Shalo1
what was your bmat score???

4.4, 5.3, 4B, not all that good! but I guess it shows they look at your whole application as opposed to focusing solely on your BMAT score :smile:
Reply 1124
So I got an offer today, but for NEXT year (term beginning 24th sept 2013). Thrilled that it's not a rejection, but a bit bummed out that it's deferred. I've emailed them to ask why/grovel to see if I can get in this year.

The admissions tutor said something about deferred offers on the day, but I can't remember whether she said you can "appeal" them. Can anyone who's been to an interview remember?
Original post by camurro
So I got an offer today, but for NEXT year (term beginning 24th sept 2013). Thrilled that it's not a rejection, but a bit bummed out that it's deferred. I've emailed them to ask why/grovel to see if I can get in this year.

The admissions tutor said something about deferred offers on the day, but I can't remember whether she said you can "appeal" them. Can anyone who's been to an interview remember?

Will you be at least 18, some places defer your offer I your not 18 at the start of te year
Original post by camurro

Does that mean that it's unconditional? Or still dependent on your results in August?
Reply 1127
Original post by kingcoltzan
Does that mean that it's unconditional? Or still dependent on your results in August?

Still depends on August exams, and I can't retake in the next year, they're final just like everyone else.

Original post by Patchey1000
Will you be at least 18, some places defer your offer I your not 18 at the start of te year

Yup, I'm 18 in April.
Original post by camurro

Appeals are more often for cases when you felt you were treated unfairly and resulted in a rejection. I'm sure you're grateful you haven't been rejected and got an offer in the end but the usual reason why the give out a deferred offer is because they feel you would benefit from a year out to either become a little more mature or better prepared for medicine/university.
Reply 1129
does anyone know when they stopped giving out interview invites last year?
Any advise from people who've had interviews already? :frown:
Im really nervous about the interview
Reply 1131
Same!! when is urs?
Telling by the information given by UCL website, a person who has met minimum gcse/AS, good prediction and a very good bmat i.e 6, 6, 3.5a will have a good chance for interviews, as BMAT decides who is prioritised for intervew?
Original post by NitroAbdi
Telling by the information given by UCL website, a person who has met minimum gcse/AS, good prediction and a very good bmat i.e 6, 6, 3.5a will have a good chance for interviews, as BMAT decides who is prioritised for intervew?

Its much more based on all factors together I think... I was interviewed on the 2nd day and BMAT scores ranged from people who had 8's in S1 and 2 to people who had 4's. But if you have one weak factor in your application, you need to make up for it elsewhere I think
Original post by studentnumber2
Its much more based on all factors together I think... I was interviewed on the 2nd day and BMAT scores ranged from people who had 8's in S1 and 2 to people who had 4's. But if you have one weak factor in your application, you need to make up for it elsewhere I think

Thanks, do UCL hate unit resits in AS. i felt the exam gave vague question like "which atheltic event would glycogen loading would be recommend. there is many, and some even but 100m sprint. It isn't PE A level:confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
Just received an interview call up and it mentions "a short talk by the Admissions Tutor" and other tour events. Do you have to attend these? or will your absence be noted?

[I've already been to two open days and as it all starts long before my interview (and because I live fairly far away), would rather not turn up at 9am...]
I don't know whether its compulsory, but I think everyone SHOULD attend unless there is a serious reason. You never know in these things whether your absence is noted or not so for the sake of 1 hour, mareswell turn up :smile:
Reply 1137
I'm an international student on a gap year.I had my interview on the 26th and I received my offer on the 27th!!!:biggrin:DD

The conditions of my offer are basically all the medical & criminal declarations etc.Was wondering if there's anyone here that was in the same waiting room as me.

All the best to those who are still in the process of their applications!!:smile:
Random post, but my interview experience at UCL was probably the best yet. Everybody was so friendly, people in the waiting room talking (incomparable to the dead silence/classical music in King's), first years came in to relax us... overall really enjoyable :biggrin:
Reply 1139
Original post by A for Andromeda
Just received an interview call up and it mentions "a short talk by the Admissions Tutor" and other tour events. Do you have to attend these? or will your absence be noted?

[I've already been to two open days and as it all starts long before my interview (and because I live fairly far away), would rather not turn up at 9am...]

Trust me, go to it. They note who is there (take attendance before you enter) and the interviewers know if you have been late.
Also, its kind of cool to sit there for an hour or so with all the others being interviewed. chances are, you'll be studying medicine together in a few months time...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending