The Student Room Group

UCL Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MuffinMonster
Yeah they say that every year, and the success rate is like 33% now :frown: If I have to choose between Birmingham and UCL I'd go UCL any day though!

Definitely man, no contest! :tongue:
Yeah they say that every year, and the success rate is like 33% now :frown: If I have to choose between Birmingham and UCL I'd go UCL any day though!

Post-interview success rate is 33%? What's your source? :s-smilie:
Reply 122
Original post by Leavesnotracks

Haha, how's BMAT preparation going?
And what'd you change Birmingham to?

I changed it to Barts, I clearly love London too much :tongue:

BMAT is okay, apart from the physics section 2 seems okay for me and I'm getting used to section 1. It's just section 3 which is completely awful :erm: How about you?
Original post by marc_h94

"Birmingham interview around 900 people and give offers to around 90% of those interviewed."
I got this from the Student Room Article on interviews: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/What_you_should_expect_at_a_medical_school_interview
Original post by oHellno
I changed it to Barts, I clearly love London too much :tongue:

BMAT is okay, apart from the physics section 2 seems okay for me and I'm getting used to section 1. It's just section 3 which is completely awful :erm: How about you?

Too much? I daresay you can never love London too much. :wink:
And I'm sort of getting better in all the sections. Funnily enough, section 3 is my favourite.
I'm guessing you didn't do physics? If so, welcome to the club.

Ah right yeah I forgot the 33% was application:redface:ffer, not interview -_- I got it from medschoolsonline.

Ah right yeah I forgot the 33% was application:redface:ffer, not interview -_- I got it from medschoolsonline.

thats meant to be application: offer* smileys got in the way!
Reply 127

Too much? I daresay you can never love London too much. :wink:
And I'm sort of getting better in all the sections. Funnily enough, section 3 is my favourite.
I'm guessing you didn't do physics? If so, welcome to the club.

Haha I'm glad you agree, most people look a bit horrified when I mention all London unis.

Howww is section 3 your favourite, help meeee lol! It takes me so long to actually understand the initial statements :sigh: And no, I wasn't wise enough to do physics, so the majority of those questions make no sense to me lol.
thats meant to be application: offer* smileys got in the way!

Yeah I've heard that it has actually gone down from 90% though; I think it's 70% now (completely anecdotal).
But I emailed the admissions tutor, Austen Spruce, and he said that AS grades have become more important than GCSEs for selection, so if you have above 7A*s you should fine so long as your AS grades are excellent.
Don't worry all you straight A* people though, he said that GCSEs are still looked at competitively between people in the same AS results band!

Edit: sorry this ended up on the UCL thread haha
Original post by oHellno
Haha I'm glad you agree, most people look a bit horrified when I mention all London unis.

Howww is section 3 your favourite, help meeee lol! It takes me so long to actually understand the initial statements :sigh: And no, I wasn't wise enough to do physics, so the majority of those questions make no sense to me lol.

I just find section 3 a good place to have a rant, really. :colondollar:
I get a few of the questions in physics, but mostly, I have no idea. Still, managed to borrow a GCSE physics textbook. Only problem is every time I open the book, I get all nostalgic about GCSEs.
:rolleyes:

Yeah I've heard that it has actually gone down from 90% though; I think it's 70% now (completely anecdotal).
But I emailed the admissions tutor, Austen Spruce, and he said that AS grades have become more important than GCSEs for selection, so if you have above 7A*s you should fine so long as your AS grades are excellent.
Don't worry all you straight A* people though, he said that GCSEs are still looked at competitively between people in the same AS results band!

Edit: sorry this ended up on the UCL thread haha

Probably because more and more people got straight A*s now :s My AS grades are just mediocre (in my school) but yeah should be discussing UCL instead! :biggrin: btw thanks for bringing that page up, I somehow have never been on that page before xD

Probably because more and more people got straight A*s now :s My AS grades are just mediocre (in my school) but yeah should be discussing UCL instead! :biggrin: btw thanks for bringing that page up, I somehow have never been on that page before xD

What page?

What page?

Oh, that was to the other guy, I guess the quote didn't turn up and made me look like an idiot :biggrin:

Oh, that was to the other guy, I guess the quote didn't turn up and made me look like an idiot :biggrin:

Haha no problem man! On a different note, UCAS blues are over in a matter of minutes for me :biggrin:

Haha no problem man! On a different note, UCAS blues are over in a matter of minutes for me :biggrin:

Minutes!?!? What' do you have to do? I've sorted everything today, just need my teacher to check everything and it's off :biggrin: no idea how long that will take though, I hope unis don't start giving offers until the 15th. I heard Birmingham is already giving out interviews...

Minutes!?!? What' do you have to do? I've sorted everything today, just need my teacher to check everything and it's off :biggrin: no idea how long that will take though, I hope unis don't start giving offers until the 15th. I heard Birmingham is already giving out interviews...

They won't be giving out offers any time soon, but go 1 or 2 pages back in this thread and there's your answer about interviews

They won't be giving out offers any time soon, but go 1 or 2 pages back in this thread and there's your answer about interviews

Oh I wasn't just talking about UCL :smile: I know they need to know your BMAT score first so it won't happen before then.

Oh I wasn't just talking about UCL :smile: I know they need to know your BMAT score first so it won't happen before then.

Crap I was still thinking we were in the Birmingham thread :tongue:

Crap I was still thinking we were in the Birmingham thread :tongue:

Probably coz I mentioned it :wink: yeah that's where I got it from!
Hi,

I don't go to a private school however my school specifically stated that we DON'T declare our AS grades on our UCAS form, and even sent back people's applications who did declare their AS grades. Therefore does anyone know how this will play out? will UCL automatically reject me because of that or is there anyway I can send them my actual AS grades.

I have also emailes them, but just wondering if anyone knows the answer to my dillema.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending