The Student Room Group

Advice for an soon-to-be A-Level student

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by NaveenR

i really do enjoy chemistry, but i've been told that A Level chemistry completely defies everything you've been taught in GCSE chemistry, which is slightly worrying.

A-level physics defies everything you've been taught in A-level chemistry :colone: But you're not going to be studying that so all is fine. :tongue:

But yeah, I also do maths, chemistry and biology (and physics) so I can help too. :smile:
Original post by Elwyn
Then you're not going to be able to apply to Cardiff, Bham, Kings and a few others. Check the wiki for the full list of GCSE requirements.

It isn't just the grades, it's the subjects - your grades are fine, but if any are for general studies; drama; dance; harry potter apreciation etc you could have a problem.

Also, If any are OCR Nationals (which people say is equiv to a GCSE you will find that some med schools won't recognise them
Reply 22
Original post by Scooby1964
It isn't just the grades, it's the subjects - your grades are fine, but if any are for general studies; drama; dance; harry potter apreciation etc you could have a problem.

Also, If any are OCR Nationals (which people say is equiv to a GCSE you will find that some med schools won't recognise them

Actually, it's quite the opposite. For most Medical Schools, the only subjects they actually care about are Maths, English Language and Science. The other GCSEs are usually ranked just by their grades. Obviously the subjects you've mentioned are exaggarated, but Dance, Drama, Cookery, etc are all regarded the same as Geography, History, etc.
Original post by Elwyn
Actually, it's quite the opposite. For most Medical Schools, the only subjects they actually care about are Maths, English Language and Science. The other GCSEs are usually ranked just by their grades. Obviously the subjects you've mentioned are exaggarated, but Dance, Drama, Cookery, etc are all regarded the same as Geography, History, etc.

What's your source for that? - I have it in writing from Birmingham & UEA that they look for "academically rigerous subjects" and "At the moment our policy is to only look at GCSEs rather than equivalents as part of our admissions processes"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending