The Student Room Group

How to make myself look older (a guy)?

I'm 16 and going into Sixth Form in a week, where I have to wear a suit. I'm quite small, and look really young for my age - most people think I look 13 or 14. I think I'm about the only person in the world who actually wants some acne - I have absolutely none, so having such smooth skin just gives me a baby face (and I can't grow any proper facial hair yet). So, does anyone have any tips on how to make myself look older, so I don't end up going into school feeling like a complete mong?

Thanks
Fake beard and stilts.
Reply 2
Original post by italienmoose
Fake beard and stilts.

I said I don't want to look like a complete mong
Wow, the things I would do for flawless skin! I'm 16 too but I look older -_- LOL. My advice to you (as you have to dress formally) Is to invest in black leather formal shoes with a slight heel, It'll give you a bit of a height.

Make sure your hair is cut on a regular basis to keep that pristine, just cut look about you (DONT under any circumstances give yourself a short mullet, or designs on your hair it's horrible) Ermmm wear a nice expensive looking watch, that way they don't think you are so underage that you can't tell the time :L. Wear aftershave, if you're slightly on the 'thin' side and try to work out or just wear bulky items of clothing under your suit it'll make you look slightly hench.

Buy a good man satchel it'll give you a college look and won't make you out to be reeeeeeeeally old. If you need any more help just ask :smile:
*Wear aftershave, if you're slightly on the thin side try to...
Reply 5
Original post by minidee6.12
Wow, the things I would do for flawless skin! I'm 16 too but I look older -_- LOL. My advice to you (as you have to dress formally) Is to invest in black leather formal shoes with a slight heel, It'll give you a bit of a height.

Make sure your hair is cut on a regular basis to keep that pristine, just cut look about you (DONT under any circumstances give yourself a short mullet, or designs on your hair it's horrible) Ermmm wear a nice expensive looking watch, that way they don't think you are so underage that you can't tell the time :L. Wear aftershave, if you're slightly on the 'thin' side and try to work out or just wear bulky items of clothing under your suit it'll make you look slightly hench.

Buy a good man satchel it'll give you a college look and won't make you out to be reeeeeeeeally old. If you need any more help just ask :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Reply 6
Dont look up to justin bieber lol
You're very welcome :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by minidee6.12

YOU .... Know a Gentleman when you see one! :biggrin:

Most people, when they see someone in a black suit wearing nice aftershave and an expensive watch always seem to think 'rich snob' for some reason!
Reply 9
I agree with minidee, the shoes would help alot, as would the bulking up if you're skinny. Also, if you have the option to, wear a grey (charcoal, or lighter) suit. It will make you look less like a schoolboy in uniform. I'd avoid really light grey suits though, they just aren't nice.

Also, avoid skinny ties.
What school has a suit as part of the uniform?
Original post by Jukey92
YOU .... Know a Gentleman when you see one! :biggrin:

Most people, when they see someone in a black suit wearing nice aftershave and an expensive watch always seem to think 'rich snob' for some reason!

Yeah, that is true but then you have to pay attention to their walk etc. Even 'Rich snobs' dress worse than the not-so-rich, trust me on that I've had my fair share! But yeah I like the above mentioned in a guy, rich or not :smile:
Original post by seanfromtheblock
What school has a suit as part of the uniform?

My college did, All the guys wore suits, all the girls wore... whatever they wanted to :colone:
I think officially the dress code was smart, but we interpreted that as Suits for guys, and nice clothes for girls. Think of a very dummed-down tarts and vicars' party :biggrin:
Original post by stroppyninja
My college did, All the guys wore suits, all the girls wore... whatever they wanted to :colone:
I think officially the dress code was smart, but we interpreted that as Suits for guys, and nice clothes for girls. Think of a very dummed-down tarts and vicars' party :biggrin:

we don't have 6th form colleges here, so it was very much shirt + school tie wjth a blazer if you were particularly bursting with school spirit that day.
Reply 14
Original post by cole45
I'm 16 and going into Sixth Form in a week, where I have to wear a suit. I'm quite small, and look really young for my age - most people think I look 13 or 14. I think I'm about the only person in the world who actually wants some acne - I have absolutely none, so having such smooth skin just gives me a baby face (and I can't grow any proper facial hair yet). So, does anyone have any tips on how to make myself look older, so I don't end up going into school feeling like a complete mong?

Thanks

Wear a good fitted suit. A poorly fitted one looks cheap, like you borrowed it from your dad and doesn't compliment your body. I've not done this yet myself but you could get a suit altered/tailored if the suit you buy from a high street isn't a good fit.
This may help you know if it fits: http://www.esquire.com/style/tips/suit-fit-0708

GQ has some good style tips. So have a browse on that for a bit of inspiration. Theres a uK version of the site. Here is the US version and this little slideshow has a few tips on suit advice.
http://www.gq.com/how-to/fashion/200909/how-to-fix-style-mistakes-dad-jeans-slideshow#slide=1

You could try to look into the actual limits your sixth form has, could you for example where a waistcoat without a jacket if you wanted?

And don't worry too much, girls love guys in suits so I'm sure you will look good in one. :smile:

Get some good shoes which have a heel to add some height.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending