The Student Room Group

How passionate are you about medicine?

How passionate are you... would you say you are comfortable with it being one of the biggest things in your life?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by n1r4v
How passionate are you... would you say you live and breathe medicine?

Does it please you or scare you that it's one of the biggest parts of your life?

If I lived and breathed medicine I'd be a very sad individual indeed.

It is, afterall, just a job.
Reply 2
i..... was

But since scrubs was taken off E4 at 6 i just dont feel the same

But in all seriousness i was very passionate but then i didnt get the offers, then didnt get the grades (possibly due to lack of inspiration from the offers, and also OCR are dicks)

cheers negger...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Live and breathe it? What the hell do you think I am?

I bleed medicine.

Just kidding, I just do it in my spare time to fill the gaps.
Reply 4
I don't think this sort of thing can be quantified...people who think it can usually end up attending Medlink.
I'm passionate about the $ that comes with a medicine degree, not so much about the subject though.
I'm passionate enough that I'm choosing it despite better pay prospects in other fields, and despite other fields being worlds easier to get into, and despite not knowing where (as in geographically) it could lead me, and despite it costing me more than other degrees.
I'm not, my parents are. And yes, before you ask, I am Asian.
I'm passionate about it as a career choice and something I can't wait to study... but it's by no means my whole life and I definitely don't 'live and breathe' it, and I don't plan to while I'm at uni either! :tongue:
Original post by n1r4v
I don't really think you have to at university, but once you start working it definitely (seems to) become your life

I'll tackle that barrier when I get to it :') But don't a lot people end up living their careers anyway? It's not just medicine... my dad works in IT and I'd say that takes up like 80% of his life. Some jobs are just naturally consuming I guess!
Pretty comfortable with it.
Reply 11
Yeh I'm with you Nirav... I recently met someone that studied medicine, before doing CS in one year at UCL, going on to work at the Star Wars initiative, banks, the NHS spine and eventually Google.

His advice: Medicine is a great general career; it shows many good qualities, has good job prospects and is useful when relatives get older - but it is not the final destination of your life if you don't want it to be. While you're still young, dabble in as many things as you can that interest you, do some reading up, get involved etc. and go from there

I've come to realise that if I can't get out of bed to study something I don't enjoy, how am I going to do it every day? Might as well get a job doing something you love - many will say this is rare, but I think it's easy with some brains and the right attitude

ps. Funny to note the most passionate about medicine are the ones that haven't even started the course yet...

pps. Having said this, medicine being a vocational subject, we both may come to love the work even if we aren't that enthralled by the subject.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Helloworld_95
I'm passionate enough that I'm choosing it despite better pay prospects in other fields, and despite other fields being worlds easier to get into, and despite not knowing where (as in geographically) it could lead me, and despite it costing me more than other degrees.

and what field with that be?
Reply 13
Original post by avion111
and what field with that be?

IB?

Tbh I made the decision for prestige and "helping" people vs. interest and money, so I will stick with it - but I would implore others making a very important decision over the coming year to really question why they want to study medicine, and to get work experience in other fields that they're interested in.
Original post by The Dark Lord
I'm not, my parents are. And yes, before you ask, I am Asian.

You, sir, deserve a thumbs UP :biggrin:
Original post by buzzcat
Yeh I'm with you Nirav... I recently met someone that studied medicine, before doing CS in one year at UCL, going on to work at the Star Wars initiative, banks, the NHS spine and eventually Google.

What qualification did he get from that single year of CS, do you know?
Reply 16
Original post by TheFirstMohican
What qualification did he get from that single year of CS, do you know?

I'm not aware I'm afraid - I know that it was at UCL, and the reason it was allowed to be condensed into a year is because the course leader knew of some code he had written as a teenager.
Reply 17
I find some aspects of medicine incredibly boring (usually the things I find most difficult). I find patients very interesting though. That is what keeps me going.

Oh and payday.

And biscuits.
Reply 18
Um, like.. really.
Reply 19
I'm so passionate about it I'm planning my life around becoming an obstetrician. I wanted to be married at 25 and have kids before 30 but that seems unlikely with all the schooling :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending