Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Zoology/Biological Sciences applicants for 2012 entry

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pipistrelle)
    Hey everyone, I got BCCCD last year (B was in critical thinking and therefore TOTALLY useless) i've been predicted BCC (but those are subject to change and i'm looking at getting them raised to BBB or at least BBC!)
    Havent picked all my choices just yet since i dont know whether or not my grades will even get changed but i'm looking at qmul and the university of brighton. if my grades do get changed i might risk a spot at an ABB uni?.
    (abb are the grades I want and could definately get, but i cant/wont get my english teacher to predict me an A because of my AS grade. she says she thinks a B is v. likely so i think i could get an A
    I dont have any relevant work experience, but I do have hobbies and some extra reading... my gcses are AAAAAAA*A*BB btw
    Good luck to everyone else applying.
    You're GCSE grades may help somewhat, but universities and teachers usually expect you to get the same or a grade higher/lower than your AS grade unless there have been extenuating circumstances which must be declared in your reference. An awful lot of people seem to be sure they could get an A but few actually do. The leap from C to A is a big risk for a university to take so I'm sorry, I don't think it would be realistic to get an offer from an ABB university as it would require you going up a total of 4 grades over three subjects. It just seems a lot to expect a university to overlook
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbie4884)
    You're GCSE grades may help somewhat, but universities and teachers usually expect you to get the same or a grade higher/lower than your AS grade unless there have been extenuating circumstances which must be declared in your reference. An awful lot of people seem to be sure they could get an A but few actually do. The leap from C to A is a big risk for a university to take so I'm sorry, I don't think it would be realistic to get an offer from an ABB university as it would require you going up a total of 4 grades over three subjects. It just seems a lot to expect a university to overlook
    Thanks for being honest. although i hate hate hate the idea of a gap year and being behind everyone else, i think it might be the best option at the moment. Applying with just AS grades and predictions when I plan on retaking a lot seems a bit like a waste of time. I dont know how my parents and teachers will take that idea though
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pipistrelle)
    Thanks for being honest. although i hate hate hate the idea of a gap year and being behind everyone else, i think it might be the best option at the moment. Applying with just AS grades and predictions when I plan on retaking a lot seems a bit like a waste of time. I dont know how my parents and teachers will take that idea though
    Don't think about how other people will react to a gap year, its your life and your future. I retook a whole year after illness and my parents weren't very happy about that but it was definitely worth it as now I can apply with AAA predicted and an A at AS. That came up from BDE, and the B was in art
    Do something worthwhile with part of your gap year too, maybe a charity thing? Would look really good on your personal statement
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I should be sending my application off tomorrow but now I'm having second thoughts about my choices, eugh
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm having trouble writing why i want to do biology in my personal statement. I'm reallly passionate about it but can't get it into words without sounding like a twit! I wish they interviewed for biology, i'm brilliant in interviews but I can't get my thoughts onto paper
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shippy)
    I'm having trouble writing why i want to do biology in my personal statement. I'm reallly passionate about it but can't get it into words without sounding like a twit! I wish they interviewed for biology, i'm brilliant in interviews but I can't get my thoughts onto paper
    Mine is the most cliched thing ever! I think my first line is "I am passionate about..."
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just got an interview from Manchester! Anyone else?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilieTheGreat)
    Mine is the most cliched thing ever! I think my first line is "I am passionate about..."
    I'm already way over even without my " why i want to do my course" thing! WAAAAH
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I just got an interview from Manchester! Anyone else?
    I got an interview at Manchester today! I'm applying for Plant Science with Industrial Experience - what are you applying for?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yaaay biology
    I'm applying to UCL, Imperial, Nottingham, Reading and Hull;
    Predicted AAA for a levels, got a b in maths at as.
    UCL is my fave though, the course is just nnnnggh
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funghi-lover)
    I got an interview at Manchester today! I'm applying for Plant Science with Industrial Experience - what are you applying for?
    Pure biology

Where else are you applying?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Applying for bio at Bath, Sussex, Southampton, QMUL and Reading with predictions of ABB, reckon id get an offer from Bath even though they set entry req's at AAB ???
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amscared)
    Applying for bio at Bath, Sussex, Southampton, QMUL and Reading with predictions of ABB, reckon id get an offer from Bath even though they set entry req's at AAB ???
    Maybe, depends how strong your application is! I think they'd at least consider you!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Pure biology

Where else are you applying?
    I'm also applying to Dundee, York, Sheffield and Oxford.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone received any offers yet? Cambridge, York and Edinburgh have acknowledged my application (sent on 30th of September) but I've heard nothing from Durham or Lancaster as of yet.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magickal)
    Has anyone received any offers yet? Cambridge, York and Edinburgh have acknowledged my application (sent on 30th of September) but I've heard nothing from Durham or Lancaster as of yet.
    I applied on October 6th and I have 2 offers from Sheffield (for the 3 and 4 year course). I haven't applied to any of the same unis as you though!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    applied :danceboy:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acrylic)
    Only just blagged my way to predicted grades of BBB, is it still worth applying to exeter and newcastle who are asking AAB-ABB? I know if i get an offer i WILL get those grades. My school, however, is not convinced. They have toldl me not to bother applying but there is nowhere else that appeals to me. Would you still apply or not?
    I'm exactly the same!! due to personal reasons last year and simply not working I
    got ccdd in my AS results :/ after so many tests and working in all of my frees and lunches, my predicted grades have been risen to bbb! yay! I've applied to exeter and newcastle as i dont really like anywhere else as much. Plus i did a course at newcastle and stayed there for a bit and loved it haha! go for it! You can definitley do it, and you still have 3 other choices which could be safer. Good Luck!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ohh sent my ucas off on the 18th! and applied for:
    Biology- Newcastle
    Biological Sciences- Exeter
    Biotechnology- Nottingham
    Biology with year abroad- Kent
    Biology- Portsmouth
    the wait is so annoying! hahaha! Good luck everyone!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dramadumbo)
    Ohh sent my ucas off on the 18th! and applied for:
    Biology- Newcastle
    Biological Sciences- Exeter
    Biotechnology- Nottingham
    Biology with year abroad- Kent
    Biology- Portsmouth
    the wait is so annoying! hahaha! Good luck everyone!
    I've applied to Newcastle and Exeter too!
    I hope the give offers out soon :P
    I applied on the 30th Sept.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 20, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.