The Student Room Group

Advice on what a levels would be better for me?

Scroll to see replies

If you hate maths, then I would seriously think twice about committing yourself to study Medicine or Dentistry at uni. Although you don't NEED maths to A level (provided you have bio and chem) it is VERY useful, and I bet that you'll find that most of your fellow applicants will have it. Having said that, Med/Dent aren't Mathematics degrees, and all science subjects require a certain utilization of mathematical skills.

Why don't you take your four AS levels, drop one at A2 and take Maths AS in your second year? That way you might have a clearer idea on what you want to focus on. The people who describe maths as piss easy generally are very confident in the area, which will come as no surprise!

Does your school/college offer A level in Science in Society? That's a great course and will prepare you well for any science degree. It IS sciency, but builds on a reflection of science research, rather than carrying the research out yourself. You might find that you come to study it at uni if you do study Sciences there.

Anyhoo make sure Chem and Bio are in there, and get prepared to study (or at least use) maths at some stage if you want to go into the academic/medical sciences. Also I would recommend taking a solid arts subject to AS level at least if you're applying for Med/Dent (and even other sciences) as this helps to 'round' your skills, but don't let it take priority over maths, bio, chem, phys!

Oh choices, don't you just love 'em!
Reply 21
If I took psychology, would my choices be weak?

Physics? English lit? Or what if I chose maths, and got a maths tutor as well? :/ Recommendations?
(sorry I'm so indecisive! I hate A-levels already! :frown:)
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest