The Student Room Group

Nottingham Medicine with a foundation year 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xcoral23
What UKCAT did you get?

If you have 6 A* and A's you will not be considered for the 6 year course

If I were you, I would double check and email admissions - it's better to be safe than sorry :smile:

632.5 but i only have 5 A*/A's
Reply 41
Original post by IamBeowulf
632.5 but i only have 5 A*/A's

Nice one!! Well done :smile:

How did you do in your exams/what are your predictions?

That should be fine, as you have 5 not 6.

Email admissions and ask them anyway just to be on the safe side, I'm sure they will be happy to put you at ease about it :smile:
Reply 42
Just rang admissions, and they basically score the UKCAT and personal statement, along with the online questionnaire they send out to everyone and that's how they decide who to call for interview.

She was also quite addiment that they won't consider anyone for the A108 foundation year, if they meet the GCSE requirements for the A100 course.
Reply 43
Original post by tobnot
Just rang admissions, and they basically score the UKCAT and personal statement, along with the online questionnaire they send out to everyone and that's how they decide who to call for interview.

She was also quite addiment that they won't consider anyone for the A108 foundation year, if they meet the GCSE requirements for the A100 course.

Oh poooooop.

I think I'm going to epically fail my UKCAT next week!

Thanks for the info though.

Yeh, they were the same when I emailed them. Someone 'negged' my post on the previous page because I told people that they won't get in because their GCSE's are high enough for the A100. :s-smilie: That's what you get for advising people lol.

Are you applying?
Reply 44

Oh poooooop.

I think I'm going to epically fail my UKCAT next week!

Thanks for the info though.

Yeh, they were the same when I emailed them. Someone 'negged' my post on the previous page because I told people that they won't get in because their GCSE's are high enough for the A100. :s-smilie: That's what you get for advising people lol.

Are you applying?

No problem!

Yeah i'm applying, and BM6! Still contemplating UEA. It still seems like quite a few people don't know this course exists, so hopefully that'll work in our favour!
Reply 45
Original post by tobnot
No problem!

Yeah i'm applying, and BM6! Still contemplating UEA. It still seems like quite a few people don't know this course exists, so hopefully that'll work in our favour!

Ohh a fellow applicant! UEA are funny about their admissions - last year they said they would consider me, this year they said they couldn't and nothing has changed lol!! Random..

Yeah I know, as there are only 10 places it definatly will work in our favour.

I'm still not very confident about this course i.e whether I've got a chance but it's definatly worth a shot :smile:

Where else are you applying?
Thank you for that...

Damn! What did you score for your UKCAT?

So basically you need to get a pretty good UKCAT to even bother to apply here as they probably consider those with higher UKCAT in each section.

That sucks but it's still worth a shot :smile:

I got 522.5 :| i duno what happened there :frown: I spoke to them and they said i can still apply i would still be considered aslong as my ps and questionnaire is good ! LOL. has any one done this questionnaire ? what's it like? x
Reply 47
Original post by Dr dolittlee
I got 522.5 :| i duno what happened there :frown: I spoke to them and they said i can still apply i would still be considered aslong as my ps and questionnaire is good ! LOL. has any one done this questionnaire ? what's it like? x

Atleast you didn't get 300 lol.. Remember, you always could have got worse!!! :smile:

Well, if they said you've still got a chance then go for it. You don't know until you try.

Yeah, I'm quite intrigued about this questionnaire..

Can someone shed some light here please?

p.s Good luck with your application!
Reply 48

Atleast you didn't get 300 lol.. Remember, you always could have got worse!!! :smile:

Well, if they said you've still got a chance then go for it. You don't know until you try.

Yeah, I'm quite intrigued about this questionnaire..

Can someone shed some light here please?

p.s Good luck with your application!

Well I've heard it's asks you about work experience and other things (reasons as to why you are applying ect...), but in more detail than on your personal statement. But I guess we'll have to wait and see :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by tobnot
Well I've heard it's asks you about work experience and other things (reasons as to why you are applying ect...), but in more detail than on your personal statement. But I guess we'll have to wait and see :smile:

Yes!!! Sorry but my personal statement is like 3 times the length it should be because I have soooo much to talk about like work experience ect..

If it is like that, I am happy :smile:

Knowing my luck though - it probably isn't but thank you for the ideas..

It's a rather mysterious matter at the moment :smile:
Hey guys, I am thinking about applying to the foundation year too, but my teacher said that I don't have the right A-levels. I study Chem, Bio and English Lit so it doesn't really make any sense. Apparently, only people who have study 'arts' can apply to this scheme. Please tell me that he is deluded...
Reply 51
Original post by PrettyLittleLiars

Hey guys, I am thinking about applying to the foundation year too, but my teacher said that I don't have the right A-levels. I study Chem, Bio and English Lit so it doesn't really make any sense. Apparently, only people who have study 'arts' can apply to this scheme. Please tell me that he is deluded...

Yeah that's completely UNTRUE! Lol. :biggrin: Many of the foundation years are for people who don't have science A-levels, but Nottingham and a few others require you to have taken them. For Nottingham you need chemistry, here are the entry requirements:

A-Level offer: CCC, including chemistry and excluding general studies and critical thinking. At least five GCSEs; double science grade BB or chemistry, if single sciences taken, grade B; biology, maths and English language grade C, other subject grade C; biology, if not taken to A level, must be passed grade B at GCSE, and of course all of the additional requirements!

Another thing to point out is that they won't accept any applications which meet the GCSE requirements for the A100 5 year degree.

Hope this helps and good luck! :smile:
Original post by tobnot
Yeah that's completely UNTRUE! Lol. :biggrin: Many of the foundation years are for people who don't have science A-levels, but Nottingham and a few others require you to have taken them. For Nottingham you need chemistry, here are the entry requirements:

A-Level offer: CCC, including chemistry and excluding general studies and critical thinking. At least five GCSEs; double science grade BB or chemistry, if single sciences taken, grade B; biology, maths and English language grade C, other subject grade C; biology, if not taken to A level, must be passed grade B at GCSE, and of course all of the additional requirements!

Another thing to point out is that they won't accept any applications which meet the GCSE requirements for the A100 5 year degree.

Thank you! I'm going to talk to him on Monday again and see what he says now...
Reply 53

Deluded as I am doing the same a levels as you and I am applying!
Original post by tobnot

i dont meet the a100 requirements, but i read someone say you cant apply if you have an a :s-smilie:
Reply 55

i dont meet the a100 requirements, but i read someone say you cant apply if you have an a :s-smilie:

I spoke to admissions last week and that's what they told me. So, you should be fine. :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by tobnot

Does it state about the GCSE's on their website. If not I will still apply.
Reply 57
So unfair! I am eligible to apply because I meet all the criteria and I will have the entry requirements for A level but I have 2 A*'s at GCSE and 5 A's. But within the last 2 years when I am taking my levels my circumstances have changed a lot and things at home have meant that my studying has suffered so my a levels have suffered. Will I not be considered any more? :'(
Original post by oliviaw1677
So unfair! I am eligible to apply because I meet all the criteria and I will have the entry requirements for A level but I have 2 A*'s at GCSE and 5 A's. But within the last 2 years when I am taking my levels my circumstances have changed a lot and things at home have meant that my studying has suffered so my a levels have suffered. Will I not be considered any more? :'(

why dont you apply for the 5 year course, your GCSE's are good for the 5 year entrance..

if you dont have biology: leeds, leister, glasgow bristol they accpect students with only chemistry or an other science( maths, bio, phy) have a look at other uni's :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by Dr dolittlee
why dont you apply for the 5 year course, your GCSE's are good for the 5 year entrance..

if you dont have biology: leeds, leister, glasgow bristol they accpect students with only chemistry or an other science( maths, bio, phy) have a look at other uni's :smile:

ps im from cov too :biggrin: yeyyyyy!

My predicted grades for A level are AAC at best AAB and I am taking Chemistry and Biology. It's not the lower grade boundaries that attract me to the course, it is the extra support and help. :frown:
You applying for medicine too I assume?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending