The Student Room Group

Which universities for me?!?! HELP please

Ok so these are all of the unis that im looking at for German, which five do you think?!I need a mixture of the unis with higher entry requirements, middle-ish and low.My AS Results were BBD and my predicted will proabably be ABC/BBC

Higher Unis
Leeds (ABC/BBB)
Nottingham (ABC/BBB)
Sheffield (BBB)
Aston (BBB)
Liverpool (BBB)

Middle-ish Unis
Manchester (BBC)
Bristol (BBC)

Lower Unis
Hull (260 points)
Sheffield Hallam (280 points)

Sensible replies please, appreciate it if you could help!

Scroll to see replies

Leeds is famed for its nightclubs...
Manchester used to have quite prolific gangs but thats not so much the case anymore...
Sheffield i would recommend as an all round good quality uni for social and academic
Reply 2
Original post by deltabomber
Leeds is famed for its nightclubs...
Manchester used to have quite prolific gangs but thats not so much the case anymore...
Sheffield i would recommend as an all round good quality uni for social and academic

Thanks for the reply? which other 2? taking my predicted grades into consideration? :biggrin:
Reply 3
I would personally recommend Leeds, Nottingham, Sheffield, Manchester and Bristol and I'd suggest you visit each and everyone of those unis before making a firm decision.

Check out the course content for German from each uni, consider the location of where all those unis are, find out about their social life e.t.c.
Reply 4
I'd say
- Leeds
- Nottingham
- Manchester
- Bristol
- Hull

look at league tables and see which ones are the highest :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by *Hakz*
I would personally recommend Leeds, Nottingham, Sheffield, Manchester and Bristol and I'd suggest you visit each and everyone of those unis before making a firm decision.

Check out the course content for German from each uni, consider the location of where all those unis are, find out about their social life e.t.c.

Would you say they're all reasonable though? looking at my AS grades and what I think i'll be predicted? I need at least one university as a back up! Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, Nottingham and Bristol are all Russell group universities and extremely competitive aren't they? :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by kkate1212
I'd say
- Leeds
- Nottingham
- Manchester
- Bristol
- Hull

look at league tables and see which ones are the highest :smile:

Thanks for the reply!:biggrin:
Which 2 are the least competitive out of Leeds, Nottingham, Manchester, Bristol would you say?
Reply 7
I think they are all pretty competitive as they are all good uni's if you go onto the university website they usually tell you how many applicants there are for that course to how many places there are.

it also depends on if you want to move away from home ect :smile:
Reply 8
I think they are all pretty competitive as they are all good uni's if you go onto the university website they usually tell you how many applicants there are for that course to how many places there are.

it also depends on if you want to move away from home ect :smile:

Ok thanks for the help :smile:
But...do you think they all seem like reasonable choices? taking my AS grades into account and what I think i'll be predicted? Or am i being a little too ambitious and aiming too high? :s-smilie::s-smilie:
Leeds (ABC/BBB)
Nottingham (ABC/BBB)
Sheffield (BBB)
Manchester (BBC)
Bristol (BBC
This is an important decision and if it feel's right to you then go for it. However, make sure you visit the Universities first.
Reply 11
Original post by NapoleonDynamite
Leeds (ABC/BBB)
Nottingham (ABC/BBB)
Sheffield (BBB)
Manchester (BBC)
Bristol (BBC

Hey thanks for your opinion! that's exactly what I'm thinking but I dont know whether i feel safe enough! all 5 are top unis and very competitive, so maybe i need just 1 with slightly lower entry requirements which isn't so prestigious! hmmm:s-smilie:
Reply 12
I think you'll be fine. My friend is at manchester this year doing chemistry, her predicted grades were BBC she was offered ABB and she got in :smile:.. I'm hoping to get into manchester applying for leeds and nottingham too :smile:
Original post by JakeE10
Hey thanks for your opinion! that's exactly what I'm thinking but I dont know whether i feel safe enough! all 5 are top unis and very competitive, so maybe i need just 1 with slightly lower entry requirements which isn't so prestigious! hmmm:s-smilie:

What about Reading? 280 - 300 points
Reply 14
I think you'll be fine. My friend is at manchester this year doing chemistry, her predicted grades were BBC she was offered ABB and she got in :smile:.. I'm hoping to get into manchester applying for leeds and nottingham too :smile:

Nice! What i don't understand is....if your predicted are say BBC, can you only apply to unis that are BBC, or can you still apply to say one which is ABC? how did it work with your friend? ...
Cool! Manchester is my first choice too! I'm actually from manchester so there's no point moving far away when you have a great uni on your doorstep! :biggrin:
what course are you thinking of doing?
Reply 15
What about Reading? 280 - 300 points

That's no lower than the others though is it? That's still equivalent to BBC or?
Original post by JakeE10
That's no lower than the others though is it? That's still equivalent to BBC or?

Ye it's the same but less competitive - Isn't a Russell group Uni like nearly all of those are.
Reply 17
Ye it's the same but less competitive - Isn't a Russell group Uni like nearly all of those are.

Hmmm, I'm trying to stay up north as i'm from manchester, don't really want to move THAT far away from home! :smile: I'll have to keep looking!
Reply 18
You can apply anywhere no matter what your predicted grades are. She had a bad first year of college, her teacher left, her grandparent died, she knew she could improve in second year so applied for some higher unis than her predicted grades, her insurance was hull. I'm from Manchester too :smile: in the same position don't see much point going far away. I want to do sociology with criminology :smile:
Original post by JakeE10
Hmmm, I'm trying to stay up north as i'm from manchester, don't really want to move THAT far away from home! :smile: I'll have to keep looking!

Ah right :tongue: Reading is north to me as I'm from South London xD

What about German Studies at Aberdeen? BBB

Quick Reply

Latest