The Student Room Group

Hiphop/Rap EPQ

Hi, I'm starting my Extended Personal Qualification this week (for those of you not in the know, it's where you write a midlength essay on any topic and do a presentation on the process of writing it and then for some reason you get given a qualification). My topic is
'A study of hip-hop lyrics as poetry'
and basically I'm trying to prove that despite the banality of some lyrics, there is enough beauty and genius in rap lyrics that they should be considered as a poetic form in their own right. I really believe in this (I've done assemblies and stuff about it at school before) and I know basically what I'm going to include but any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated! Particularly if you know any especially brilliant lyrics I may not have thought of. I'm including grime in this too by the way.
Obviously include and emphasise the use of metaphors and punchlines.
"Flow"
It's role in society?
i'll update this with some lyrics or something when I can think of some - You're gonna be looking at Common, Mos and them though for lyrics.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by EggmanD

The most diverse genre in the world, accepted by every culture, covering every single aspect of life.. hip hop is one of mans greatest achievements.

yesss man some of these are large, props.
Reply 4
Remember to discuss political influences

'Better rich and guilty than poor and innocent' Immortal Technique
Original post by don_lad_
Hi, I'm starting my Extended Personal Qualification this week (for those of you not in the know, it's where you write a midlength essay on any topic and do a presentation on the process of writing it and then for some reason you get given a qualification). My topic is
and basically I'm trying to prove that despite the banality of some lyrics, there is enough beauty and genius in rap lyrics that they should be considered as a poetic form in their own right. I really believe in this (I've done assemblies and stuff about it at school before) and I know basically what I'm going to include but any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated! Particularly if you know any especially brilliant lyrics I may not have thought of. I'm including grime in this too by the way.

Uhh yeah I am doing EPQ too. I really like ur idea man- (but are u doing English/music later on? it would help if the EPQ is linked to what u want to do later, but it doesnt really matter- cos u still get the same skills)

Anyway
British RAP
[B]Jehst- City of industry
Jehst- High Plains Anthem
Jehst- 1979
Jehst- Alcoholic author[/

Foreign Beggars- Colder days
Foreign Beggars- Cold Breeze
Skinnyman- Council estate of mind
Lowkey- Alphabet assassin
Lowkey- Free Free Palestine
Lowkey- Obamanation
Mic Righteous fire in the booth
Lowkey- Blood sweat and tears
Klashnekoff- Paper up
People's army- Left right left (myspace)

UK GRIME
Devlin- Community Outcast
Devlin- Runaway

US RAP
Common market- Every last one of us
Blue Scholars- Motion movement
AZ- I am the truth
Lecrae- Don't waste your life
Lecrae- Background
Lupe Fiasco- Words I never said
Nas- I can
Papoose- Born to be a winner

OTHER
Classified (Canadian)- The day doesn't die
Classified- Up all night
Classified- No mistakes
Classified- Unusual
Hilltop Hood (Aus)- Roll on up
Hilltop Hood (aus)- Fifty in five
Bliss N Eso (Aus)- The Sea is rising
The Herd (Aus)- 2020
Terra Firma (Aus)- The night the heavens cried
Drapht (Aus)- Inspiration island
Scribe (NZ)- Dreaming

I appreciate u wont listen to all these, but the bold songs have amazing lyrics
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
[QUOTE="Tomatochuckers;33779341"]Uhh yeah I am doing EPQ too. I really like ur idea man- (but are u doing English/music later on? it would help if the EPQ is linked to what u want to do later, but it doesnt really matter- cos u still get the same skills)

Anyway
British RAP
Jehst- City of industry
Jehst- High Plains Anthem
Jehst- 1979
Jehst- Alcoholic author[/
B]Foreign Beggars- Colder days
Foreign Beggars- Cold Breeze
Skinnyman- Council estate of mind
Lowkey- Alphabet assassin
Lowkey- Free Free Palestine
Lowkey- Obamanation
Mic Righteous fire in the booth
Lowkey- Blood sweat and tears
Klashnekoff- Paper up
People's army- Left right left (myspace)

UK GRIME
Devlin- Community Outcast
Devlin- Runaway

OTHER
Classified (Canadian)- The day doesn't die
Classified- Up all night
Classified- No mistakes
Hilltop Hood (Aus)- Roll on up
Hilltop Hood (aus)- Fifty in five
Bliss N Eso (Aus)- The Sea is rising
The Herd (Aus)- 2020
Terra Firma (Aus)- The night the heavens cried
Drapht (Aus)- Inspiration island
Scribe (NZ)- Dreaming

I appreciate u wont listen to all these, but the bold songs have amazing lyrics

yeah man I am doing English so it's pretty relevant, what's your title? all those british hiphop ones are serious artists! alphabet assassin, blood sweat and tears, mic's fire in the booth are all ridiculous. don't know people's army but i'll check it.
did hilltop hoods do that 'nosebleed section' song? i'll check out the ones I haven't heard here man, looks like a good list.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by EggmanD
The most diverse genre in the world, accepted by every culture, covering every single aspect of life.. hip hop is one of mans greatest achievements.

Don't push your luck :tongue:
yeah man I am doing English so it's pretty relevant, what's your title? all those british hiphop ones are serious artists! alphabet assassin, blood sweat and tears, mic's fire in the booth are all ridiculous. don't know people's army but i'll check it.
did hilltop hoods do that 'nosebleed section' song? i'll check out the ones I haven't heard here man, looks like a good list.

Your right mate hilltop hoods did nosebleed section- it is one of their more mainstream songs. Fifty in five addresses current issues, and roll on up is just a good tune lyrically.

People's army is like a supergroup with rappers such as logic, mic righteous, lowkey, black the ripper- they only have like 5 songs, but some of them are good.

I also updated my previous post with some US artists, sorry man, haven't listened to US rap for ages (not cos its bad or anything), and lost my ipod so forgot loads- but Seatlle has some good artists such as Common Market/Macklemore etc.
Dont know much grime tbh apart from the usual stuff roll deep,skepta, jme etc.

As for my EPQ I want to do economics, so I was thinking of doing it on 'what impact will the 2012 Olympics have on the UK economically' or do something about the economical impact of an earthquake, or environmental economics. I haven't even started yet lol!
Oh yeah and Kanye's and Lupe's version of diamonds. Sierra Leone affairs
Reply 10

out of interest what headings did you use?
Lupe fiasco
biggie is the one to study for this he changed the rap game and really focused on having poetic lyrics - he probably has the most clever lyrics out there. he was the first to use the beat as a part of his rhymes for example timing on the beat and referencing the music in his lyrics. his songs were real poems and he influenced everybody after him to think about the lyrics and the beat together.

Quick Reply

Latest