The Student Room Group

adult dependants grant

I have just been accepted onto a foundation degree

I am 24 but live with my partner and our son, I have been financially supporting myself for 4 years so will be classed as an 'independant student'

What does a dependant adult mean? Would my partner be classed as a dependant adult because we share all of our money and have a joint mortgage etc or because he works would he not? I cant find any criteria and have been told yes and no from student finance

Anyone know?

xxx
Reply 1
Yes, he will. You will have to submit a ton of financial evidence to show your income/expenditure to be means tested.
Reply 2
Will also need to provide evidence to make sure you are classed as independent. Will be 3 years worth of P60's.

If his net income is less than the maximum you can potentially receive from SFE, then he is classed as dependent and you'd be income assessed for ADG.
Reply 3
Thanks for the quick replies!

I have posted my last 3 years of P60's 08/09, 09/10 and 10/11 along with child tax credit information

OHs net income is £11,600 but we get £80 per week for child tax credits and working tax credits and then £80 per month child benefit (i am on maternity allowance which isnt classed as income)

how would i apply for adg? and what kind of information do i send for income/expenditure or do i just fill a form in and attach evidence?

sorry for all the questions!

xxx
Reply 4
Original post by Taiko
Will also need to provide evidence to make sure you are classed as independent. Will be 3 years worth of P60's.

If his net income is less than the maximum you can potentially receive from SFE, then he is classed as dependent and you'd be income assessed for ADG.

Ah I thought if you were a parent you were automatically classed as independent, my bad :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Shani
Ah I thought if you were a parent you were automatically classed as independent, my bad :smile:

Apologies, missed the son bit. Trying to do too many things at once today.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending