The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I think if you revise every fact you can lay your hand on, the day before the exam (for many hours on end lol) then go in with them fresh in your mind, you have at least a very good starting point. This of course relies on the fact that you've taken consistant notes throughout the two year.

As to the pass rate, I think my class got maybe 10-15 A*s so it's possible, though it can depend on the strength of your teacher, but not enough to worry if your teacher's not as strong as you'd like. One other thing, essay technique is so important. I'm not sure I can give you advice on how to improve it, it just happens with time, though do take in any comments your teachers in all essay subjects say and try and act on them!
Reply 2
I don't think it's that hard. With my board (AQA), the A* grade boundary is 77%... quite low! (A is 67, B is 57 etc) I don't think essay technique matters that much either. You should look at both points of view when it's questions like "Which was more important" or "Do you agree with this statement" type of questions. Otherwise, it's just revising dates and key facts, as well as practice. The questions are usually pretty predictable.
Reply 3
My teacher constantly tells us that GCSE history is the easiest GCSE we will do and that if we get below a C in it we shouldn't think about returning to 6th form blah blah blah.
I didn't find it too difficult, but that's because my strengths are in essay subjects as opposed to maths and the sciences and I have a good memory. As with any subject, a good teacher obviously helps a lot and a bad teacher means you'll have to work harder independently, but as long as you learn all the facts and practice your exam technique, you should be fine. I found history one of the most time-consuming subjects when it came to revision simply because there was so much to learn! Timelines help, as well as the standard mind maps, revision cards etc, and I also thought the CGP revision guide was quite good.
ElWilson
For GCSE History, how hard is it (compared to other years), what was the A* pass rate, does it depend alot on your teacher and how difficult was it to revise and how did you revise?

Thanks. :smile:

At GCSE you just need a shedload of description, so you'll need to remember quite a bit, but it's not difficult.
You'll find it really easy if you can cram info and then write loads in the exam itself - that's all there is to it.....
In fact - practically all the lessons leading up to it are a waste of time

Latest

Trending

Trending