The Student Room Group

Has anyone done better at A levels than GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
One of my better friends moved into my sixth form from a really awful state comp without any A*s at GCSE. For AS he achieved AAAA and A*AA at A2 :biggrin: so it can be done!

Personally i didn't improve but I did get a better grade at A Level Maths than GCSE Maths.
Reply 21
GCSE: BBBBCCCCC
A Level: A*AA
Reply 22
I was very lazy in GCSE but I completely changed my attitude in sixth form. If you know why you didn't get the GCSE grades you hoped for then you can do better in A levels.

GCSE: BBBCCCCC Pass in ICT Btec..
A Level: A*AB
Reply 23
Original post by nerimon18
Haha! What did you say to her when you got the grade?!

In my head, I planned to march up to her, full of confidence 'LOOK, LOOK AT THIS YOU SMUG BITCH. HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT?!?'. In reality, I'm too polite for such confrontation, and told her as though I had expected this outcome all along. Her awkwardness was amazing.

Sometimes, I feel like there are fewer moments in life as good as being able to prove doubters wrong. :teehee:
At GCSE i got 9 Bs 5 Cs

AS level BBB

A level BCC
Reply 25
Original post by Normandy114
Yeah, I was lazy and had no ambition during GCSEs so didn't revise, but started working hard when I got into sixth form.

Lol, I didn't really have any ambition during Gcse too. I may sound A bit big headed but I just didn't find Gcse very challenging and, therefore, I didnt put much effort into my coursework and exam. But this year I planning to work my ass off at as level.
Reply 26
GCSE: A* BBB CCCC
AS:AABC
A2: A*AB

Quite simply I didn't take GCSEs seriously and didn't work for them at all. The results I got kick started me as I knew I was better than that and my friends who distracted me didn't do A levels. With no distractions, I actually paid attention in class and learnt stuff.

If you tried exceptionally hard at GCSEs then you will probably do worse at A level, whereas if you didn't try at GCSE and try at A level then I'm sure you will do better. Those who do do it that way though don't deserve much respect.
I did about the same, 3 A*s and 8 As at GCSE, A*AA at A Level. But my boyfriend improved quite a lot: 1 A*, 3 As and 7 Bs at GCSE, AAB at A Level- but he worked about 10 times harder for his A Levels, he didn't revise at all for his GCSEs.
Reply 28
Gcse's: a*aaaaaaabbc
As levels: aaaB
Predicted: A*A*AB

I have no-one to thank apart from my amazing teachers.
GCSEs: 4A* 3A 2B

AS-Level: Maths (A, incl. 98% in C1), Economics (A), Geography (A, over 90% average, incl. a paper at 100%), French (A, over 90% average, incl. a paper at 100%), Government & Politics (A, 100% in all two papers)

----------------------------------

I'm happy with my GCSEs but they aren't 'Oxbridge-standard' so when I got my results, I was worried that top unis would be out of my reach. However, with a lot of work I managed to achieve 5 As at AS-Level, which I'm really happy with. You can definitely do well if you put your mind to it and keep up with the workload!
3A* 5A 2B at GCSE
AABBB at AS

enjoyed AS more, so was easier to do better :smile:
GCSES I got 5As 4Bs 1C

AS levels at the end of the first year were BBC

This year my A levels were A*BB - so I'd say my biggest improvement was during uppersixth, resitting lots of modules and taking the A2 exams
GCSE: A*A*AAAAABBBBC
A-Level: A*AA

didn't exactly improve, I just dropped all the subjects I was **** at
Reply 33
Original post by VersaEmerge
GCSE: A*A*AAAAABBBBC
A-Level: A*AA

didn't exactly improve, I just dropped all the subjects I was **** at

This.
A lot of my "Asian" friends did biology, chemistry, physics and maths/other subjects they couldnt do, and got C's and D's. It's all about playing to your strengths, if you're interested in the subjects, you'll naturally do better in them.
This kind of thread makes people who worked hard and got good grades at GCSE like me really scared :frown:
i got better A levels than Gcse results
but i know quite alot that fail miserably
Original post by Florence321
This kind of thread makes people who worked hard and got good grades at GCSE like me really scared :frown:

LOL DON'T BE!

These people probs worked as hard as you did , if not harder at AS level. They are doing what you did later in life
GCSE: AAAABBBCCCCCD
Alevels: A*AAB

Didn't really work for my GCSE's :L
Reply 38
GCSE: ABBBCCCCC
AS: BBCC

Not the biggest improvement but will defin be getting ABB at A2
Reply 39
Got a B in history at GCSE and an A at AS level, my writing and analytical skills really have improved since then.

Quick Reply

Latest