The Student Room Group

do i have a chance?

TOPIC TITLE SHOULD SAY:: WHAT UNIS SHOULD I APPLY FOR??
I want to do mathematics at degree level.
I got an AS mark of AABBB in maths, further maths, physics, biology and chemistry respectively.

i will continue on with maths, f maths and physics.

i am predicted A*A*A for maths, f maths and physics respectively.

For my UMS marks for maths i got

C1 -85
C2 - 95
FP1 - 91
D1 -77 (i retook this, first time i got 77, second time 71... dont ask me how i got worse :frown: )
M1 -85
S1 -79

what should i realistically apply to?
i would like to apply to imperial, ucl... would i have a chance?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Don't be afraid to go for a good uni...just have a back up. your ums marks should be o.k for these unis if you are consistant and maybe get a few more over 90
Reply 2
Original post by deltabomber
Don't be afraid to go for a good uni...just have a back up. your ums marks should be o.k for these unis if you are consistant and maybe get a few more over 90

well i am going to apply for oxford, i was told that i would get an interview. i know my maths is more than good enough. i just want a back up incase.
Original post by jilebinator

well i am going to apply for oxford, i was told that i would get an interview. i know my maths is more than good enough. i just want a back up incase.

Imperial, Warwick (good choice as you'll almost certainly get an offer), Bristol, Bath, UCL...
i wouldnt back up oxford with those unis... to be honest i wouldnt call your unit scores oxbridge standard...i averaged 95 got 2 100's, not boasting and if it makes you feel better i failed the second year at uni...unless your willing to risk a year out or the horror of clearing,don't do it
Reply 5

woooohh, slow down there buster, my AS UMS in maths are better than yours and i wouldn't dream of applying for maths let alone Oxford. I'd get hold of some Oxbridge mathmos on this forum and compare yourself to them at your age, they're the most solid mathematicians in the country, have you ever tried to get a 1,1 in STEP?
Reply 6
Original post by jameswhughes
Imperial, Warwick (good choice as you'll almost certainly get an offer), Bristol, Bath, UCL...

are people on this thread absolutely insane?! his maths UMS isn't exactly great.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hockeyjoe

are people on this thread absolutely insane?! his maths UMS isn't exactly great.

Warwick don't ask for UMS and with those predictions they'll definitely give him an offer, also you can get better UMS in A2 modules than AS ones (I did), so A*A*A isn't impossible for OP by any means.
Reply 8

AFAIK Warwick like to give out lots of offers and see who meets them rather than reject people beforehand.
Reply 9
For my UMS marks for maths i got

C1 -85
C2 - 95
FP1 - 91
D1 -77 (i retook this, first time i got 77, second time 71... dont ask me how i got worse :frown: )
M1 -85
S1 -79

Oh my. you seem like a clever student. I am goin to do D1 next year and am told that the content is simple but still people get low grades. Is this true
Original post by ...mo...
Oh my. you seem like a clever student. I am goin to do D1 next year and am told that the content is simple but still people get low grades. Is this true

I got 68 my first time round on D1. I basically just underestimated it and didn't do a lot of work. It's no worse than any other module as long as you understand the material and do past papers, etc. Don't worry about it!
Warwick don't ask for UMS and with those predictions they'll definitely give him an offer, also you can get better UMS in A2 modules than AS ones (I did), so A*A*A isn't impossible for OP by any means.

okay good point
Original post by tommm
AFAIK Warwick like to give out lots of offers and see who meets them rather than reject people beforehand.

yer exactly my point, Warwick include STEP in their offers, people who get in the high 90s or 100 UMS in A level math get destroyed by STEP, OP's UMS are good but not that good, this ineptitude will be revealed when Warwicks STEP offer isn't met, or unearthed in Oxford interview, so why apply?
Reply 13
Original post by TenaciousMonkey
I got 68 my first time round on D1. I basically just underestimated it and didn't do a lot of work. It's no worse than any other module as long as you understand the material and do past papers, etc. Don't worry about it!

It is just that I did S1 and got 79% but had to work alot. Is it true that the style of math is completely different (using a method rather than rules.) Do you think that I won't do well (C or below)?

yer exactly my point, Warwick include STEP in their offers, people who get in the high 90s or 100 UMS in A level math get destroyed by STEP, OP's UMS are good but not that good, this ineptitude will be revealed when Warwicks STEP offer isn't met, or unearthed in Oxford interview, so why apply?

UMS isn't everything, of course you need good UMS, but someone who just gets a few more marks won't necessarily do any better in the interview/STEP.
Reply 15
I am good at step exams, in practice papers i get grade 1.
i just sort of failed my maths exams, they didnt go how i planned, unfortunately.
UMS isn't everything, of course you need good UMS, but someone who just gets a few more marks won't necessarily do any better in the interview/STEP.

but it's not a few marks, its about ten or fifteen ums in some cases. thats the difference between a C and an A
Original post by ...mo...
It is just that I did S1 and got 79% but had to work alot. Is it true that the style of math is completely different (using a method rather than rules.) Do you think that I won't do well (C or below)?

It's a very different style, yeah. It's all about algorithms, but (depending on which board you're doing) it can either be really interesting or exceedingly boring.
Reply 18
i feel really depressed, so what maths unis should i be applying for then?

i feel really depressed, so what maths unis should i be applying for then?

How do you feel about your prediction of A*A*A? If you feel you can get that, or close to that, then I'd recommend considering the ones I mentioned earlier.

Quick Reply

Latest