The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JakeE10
cool! :biggrin: I don't know exactly where im applying to yet either! the three that I know are in my sig :smile: Good luck!!!! :biggrin:

So do you think you will firm Manchester? I've never been to the Uni or the city, but hopefully will get to go sooner rather then later! :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 21
Original post by Charlottie93
So do you think you will firm Manchester? I've never been to the Uni or the city, but hopefully will get to go sooner rather then later! :smile:

Hopefully i'll get an offer! :biggrin: then I will firm it yes!
I'm applying to 2 'higher risk' unis (Leeds and Manchester) so any one of the two will be good for a firm but preferably manchester! the other 3 will just be average/lower risk unis which im certain i'll meet the requirements! One being Hull. what about you?

Yeah manchester is great! Big city, very busy and lots to do! good nightlife too! where are you from?

:biggrin:
Reply 22
Are GCSE results important at Manchester?
my course only requires a C in english language.
I did really bad at GCSE , mainly b's and c's.

I am predicted AAA at A2 though, my course only requires BBB. Will my GCSE results make me less likely to get an offer?
Reply 23
Original post by kkate1212
Are GCSE results important at Manchester?
my course only requires a C in english language.
I did really bad at GCSE , mainly b's and c's.

I am predicted AAA at A2 though, my course only requires BBB. Will my GCSE results make me less likely to get an offer?

It should say what you need in terms of GCSEs? like you said, a C in English Language? other than that it will probably just be 5 A*-Cs? You'll be fine! My GCSEs aren't the best either so i'm hoping so anyway! :rolleyes: lol.

I'm also applying (reapplying) for languages! Middle eastern studies and a modern language (Hebrew and a european one which I havn't decided on as of yet).

I firmed with manchester for 2011 entry for the same course but missed my grades although I was very close so I am staying another year at college and reapplying for 2012 entry. As I applied last year I am familiar with the admission process and was interviewed before I received my offer. The entry grades are stated to be ABB-BBC but this just means you will receive an offer in between these grades depending on how much they want you and what they think/want you to achieve. I was offered BBB but another person who got interviewed received ABB as her offer.
Yea well they do 3 courses that I'm really interested in (all the ones to do with the Middle East) and the one that I really really want to do is at Manchester (Middle Eastern Languages as you get to do two languages and have the year abroad), I don't understand the maximum and minimum entry requirements either.

The ones for my courses are all ABB- BBC apart from in two of the subjects (Modern Middle Eastern History and Study of Religions) they're the two that I'm not so sure about. As the courses look great but I don't know whether or not to apply to SOAS for Hebrew and Israeli Studies as well as one for Persian.

Hey! I'm applying for Hebrew (with a european language) at Manchester too! I am not sure what my other choices are gonna be but I might also go for Hebrew and Israeli studies at SOAS. :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by Samuelv-37
I'm also applying (reapplying) for languages! Middle eastern studies and a modern language (Hebrew and a european one which I havn't decided on as of yet).

I firmed with manchester for 2011 entry for the same course but missed my grades although I was very close so I am staying another year at college and reapplying for 2012 entry. As I applied last year I am familiar with the admission process and was interviewed before I received my offer. The entry grades are stated to be ABB-BBC but this just means you will receive an offer in between these grades depending on how much they want you and what they think/want you to achieve. I was offered BBB but another person who got interviewed received ABB as her offer.

ah right ok! thanks for giving me that info! :biggrin:
Did you get an offer of BBB because your predicted grades were BBB?! what grades did you get in the end? do you think i've got a good chance in terms of grades? i got BBD at AS level and my predicted are ABC :smile:
ah right ok! thanks for giving me that info!
Did you get an offer of BBB because your predicted grades were BBB?! what grades did you get in the end? do you think i've got a good chance in terms of grades? i got BBD at AS level and my predicted are ABC

I can't remember exactly what my predicted grades were (Bs/Cs I think) but i got BCCC at AS levels in my first year of college. I then switched colleges doing two A2s and 2 ASs (so my offer was BB in my A2s and a B overall from my ASs) and got Cs in the A2s and BC in AS. Hope you understand that i know it's confusing lol

You've got a perfect chance of getting an offer! Especially as languages aren't competitive and are in no way oversubscribed. I was lucky at getting an offer last year (doing just two A2s) but messed it up in the exams :/ but manchester is amazing (city and campus) and I really want to do the middle eastern studies and a modern language course so i'm just gonna stick it out another year at college and work my ass off so I get in :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
I can't remember exactly what my predicted grades were (Bs/Cs I think) but i got BCCC at AS levels in my first year of college. I then switched colleges doing two A2s and 2 ASs (so my offer was BB in my A2s and a B overall from my ASs) and got Cs in the A2s and BC in AS. Hope you understand that i know it's confusing lol

You've got a perfect chance of getting an offer! Especially as languages aren't competitive and are in no way oversubscribed. I was lucky at getting an offer last year (doing just two A2s) but messed it up in the exams :/ but manchester is amazing (city and campus) and I really want to do the middle eastern studies and a modern language course so i'm just gonna stick it out another year at college and work my ass off so I get in :smile:

I so hope i get an offer at either manchester or Leeds!!! especially manchester! yeah im actually from manchester! :biggrin: lived here all my life and love it so i don't really want to move !! yeah... i've not really seen many people applying for german! seems to be very little applicants! maybe even less next year due to rise in tuition fees? never know it could put some people off and be an advantage :wink: lol. :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 29
I like Manchester. How likely am I to get in for Japanese and Spanish (need AAB-BBB) with CCD at AS? (I am going to do resits)
Reply 30
Original post by Pi!
I like Manchester. How likely am I to get in for Japanese and Spanish (need AAB-BBB) with CCD at AS? (I am going to do resits)

depends what your predicted grades are? :biggrin:
Hey! I'm applying for Hebrew (with a european language) at Manchester too! I am not sure what my other choices are gonna be but I might also go for Hebrew and Israeli studies at SOAS. :smile:

YEAY! finally, I have not met a single other person that wishes to study Hebrew, good luck! :smile:
Original post by JakeE10
Hopefully i'll get an offer! :biggrin: then I will firm it yes!
I'm applying to 2 'higher risk' unis (Leeds and Manchester) so any one of the two will be good for a firm but preferably manchester! the other 3 will just be average/lower risk unis which im certain i'll meet the requirements! One being Hull. what about you?

Yeah manchester is great! Big city, very busy and lots to do! good nightlife too! where are you from?

I'm thinking about SOAS, Manchester and possibly UCL but not 110% sure really haha keep changing my mind but certainly firming Manchester if I get an offer.
I'm from Sunderland originally (next to Newcastle) but I live in County Durham atm :smile:
Reply 33
I'm thinking about SOAS, Manchester and possibly UCL but not 110% sure really haha keep changing my mind but certainly firming Manchester if I get an offer.
I'm from Sunderland originally (next to Newcastle) but I live in County Durham atm :smile:

I keep changing my mind too! haha. probably stick with manchester, leeds and hull now though. just need to find 2 more with quite low entry requirements which are still decent for german! struggling though haha.

where are you applying to as an insurance?!
:smile:
Original post by JakeE10
I keep changing my mind too! haha. probably stick with manchester, leeds and hull now though. just need to find 2 more with quite low entry requirements which are still decent for german! struggling though haha.

where are you applying to as an insurance?!
:smile:

Hm I don't know might do firm as Manchester and have Hebrew Studies as my insurance, mainly because I don't want to apply for a uni with low entry requirements (not that any do the course I want to haha) I know if I apply for top unis I'll put the effort in and work my butt off! Compared to if I pick one thats asking for like CCC or CDD I wont work at all.

What about you? and What made you pick German?
Reply 35
Hm I don't know might do firm as Manchester and have Hebrew Studies as my insurance, mainly because I don't want to apply for a uni with low entry requirements (not that any do the course I want to haha) I know if I apply for top unis I'll put the effort in and work my butt off! Compared to if I pick one thats asking for like CCC or CDD I wont work at all.

What about you? and What made you pick German?

ahh ok good tactics! :wink: well i'm applying to Leeds, Manchester, maybe Liverpool then Hull and another one with lower entry requirements as back up! will probably firm manchester and make hull my insurance (if i get the offers) :smile: and I've just knew that I wanted to do german for a long time I think! i love learning it and really wanna do the year abroad! lol :biggrin:
Original post by JakeE10
ahh ok good tactics! :wink: well i'm applying to Leeds, Manchester, maybe Liverpool then Hull and another one with lower entry requirements as back up! will probably firm manchester and make hull my insurance (if i get the offers) :smile: and I've just knew that I wanted to do german for a long time I think! i love learning it and really wanna do the year abroad! lol :biggrin:

Yea I can't wait for the year abroad! its going to be amazing (wherever I end up spending it!)
Reply 37
Yea I can't wait for the year abroad! its going to be amazing (wherever I end up spending it!)

:biggrin: yes it will be!!!
so you're just applying for all of your courses at manchester then?
Original post by JakeE10
:biggrin: yes it will be!!!
so you're just applying for all of your courses at manchester then?

No my tutor advised me not to, so I'm applying Manchester, SOAS and UCL. :P
Original post by JakeE10
Just thought i'd start off a thread for people thinking of applying to Manchester next year!! :biggrin:

which course/entry requirements/predictions etc!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Well I'll be applying for 2013 but there isn't a thread for that so...

Biomedical Sciences
AAB/ABB required
Hoping for A*A*AA

Latest

Trending

Trending