The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 4RealBlud
What's the weather really like up there? How is it compared to London, especially?

Really rainy, sunny, grey, cold, ..etc. How much does it really rain in Manchester? Everyday? every other day? Couple of times a week? Does it rain hard?

Can't compare it to the weather in London but it really is not that bad here. I expected worse :wink: It doesn't rain every day but it usually rains one time/week or more. When it rains it doesn't really rain hard but it can get extremely windy here.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by *Johanna*
I never really get why people say MCR doesn't have a "real campus" :wink: The buildings on main campus are all on the same road and really close by. Not many people have lectures at north AND main campus so the buildings you'll have lectures in will be close togehter.

Well Uom and MMU both have their main campus's on the same road so to me it loses a certain identity. But that really is nitpicking, I'm finding it difficult to find negatives.
Original post by rodcarter
Well Uom and MMU both have their main campus's on the same road so to me it loses a certain identity. But that really is nitpicking, I'm finding it difficult to find negatives.

But MMU is closer to the City and it's not like the MMU bulding, UoM building, MMU building ...

What's wrong with not finding negatives? :wink:
Can't compare it to the weather in London but it really is not that bad here. I expected worse :wink: It doesn't rain every day but it usually rains one time/week or more. When it rains it doesn't really rain hard but it can get extremely windy here.

I heard that it's lighter but near constant. Are you a 1st year? Because this year has been a particularly warm and dry year, they expect it to be the exact opposite next year.
Original post by 4RealBlud
I heard that it's lighter but near constant. Are you a 1st year? Because this year has been a particularly warm and dry year, they expect it to be the exact opposite next year.

Yeah I am. Talked to (mancunian) friends about the weather and they said that people are just exxagerating about the weather.

Near to constant rain isn't true either :wink:
Reply 1145
Original post by rodcarter
I've got an offer from Leeds for Politics and from Manchester I got an offer for Politics and International Relations.

Can I ask what is it about Manchester that is drawing you to it? The fact that it had no real campus or central social hub sort of lost it points in my book.

I disliked the enclosed campus of places like Leeds and Sussex, but didn't quite want something as spaced out as Edinburgh. Manchester was a happy in between :smile: However, I didn't realise this until I visited - I guess I basically just fell in love with it there, and found all the positives because of that. The DNA staircase and light adapting ceiling in the labs also slightly sold me, as did the more interestingly coloured hoods, awesome buildings and just general awesomeness. I really didn't find it a difficult descision, but it was more a gut feeling than because of particular reasons.
Have you visited them both?
Original post by braiiins
I disliked the enclosed campus of places like Leeds and Sussex, but didn't quite want something as spaced out as Edinburgh. Manchester was a happy in between :smile: However, I didn't realise this until I visited - I guess I basically just fell in love with it there, and found all the positives because of that. The DNA staircase and light adapting ceiling in the labs also slightly sold me, as did the more interestingly coloured hoods, awesome buildings and just general awesomeness. I really didn't find it a difficult descision, but it was more a gut feeling than because of particular reasons.

I'm surprised how much of a selling point that ends up being for students here. Especially it's a building you'll never go in (you're not allowed) apart from perhaps a one-to-one tutor meeting if they can't do it during the normal session.

Where's that? :lolwut:
Manchester just won the University Challenge which we all know is the real indication of university prowess

I visited Leeds for an open day and Manchester for an interview so didn't get the chance to look around properly. Going to Manchester again of Wednesday for a little visit and tour. Hopefully that will make the decision clearer.
Reply 1150
Original post by fretter778
I'm surprised how much of a selling point that ends up being for students here. Especially it's a building you'll never go in (you're not allowed) apart from perhaps a one-to-one tutor meeting if they can't do it during the normal session.

Just knowing it's there is enough. The student who showed me round the first time I was there said she'd been doing a project in it though, in the final year of her undergraduate degree...
Anyone doing PPE at manc 2012/2013. Hit me up, I am :P
Reply 1152
Manchester > Any other UK city :wink:

I'm from Manchester so instead of arguing amongst yourselves about what's what, just ask me! :biggrin: :wink: :smile: :tongue:
Original post by JakeE10
Manchester > Any other UK city :wink:

I'm from Manchester so instead of arguing amongst yourselves about what's what, just ask me! :biggrin: :wink: :smile: :tongue:

How often does it rain? I hate rain T.T
Original post by aprilannep
How often does it rain? I hate rain T.T

200% of the time
Original post by fretter778
200% of the time

You must be living in another Manchester than I do :wink:
You must be living in another Manchester than I do :wink:

Slight exaggeration :tongue:
Reply 1157
Do many nurses live in fallowfield? x
I was in Manchester yesterday and it was sunny. Went up on the Manchester eye thing and Manchester has some great architecture. So many fit girls around too.

Have to go back to Leeds now to make up my mind.
Lovely weather in Manchester today :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending