The Student Room Group

Unsure on A Level Choices for Law

I either want to do Law or Economics at university at the moment and am unsure on my A-Level choices (Maths, History, Politics, Economics) - should I swap Politics for English Literature to have a better chance of getting into a top university for Law?

Another option would be to do the IB, with History, English, Economics HL but I'm not sure on going for this unless it would increase the chances of getting into a good uni as its a lot of extra work with the SL subjects on top.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply 1
. hope it helps
Perhaps switch Politics for FM, but other than that, they're fine.
I went to Nottingham open day yesterday and for Law, they said that if you have more than one from Media/Communication, PE, Art (and Design), Computer Studies/ICT, Dance, Drama/Theatre then you won't get an offer. Warwick encourage you to choose subjects that you will do best in.

That sort of thing will be applicable to near enough every Law school - subject combination is not too important for Law. You have a good set of subjects for Law (people who say you need Lit are incorrect, there are plenty of people who study Law from a solid Maths/Science background). Lit could be pretty useful though, but don't choose it instead of Politics if you're not going to enjoy it :smile:.

EDIT: Sorry, I seem to have ignored the fact that you might want to study Economics. I can't give you any advice on that front.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DustBowlDance
I went to Nottingham open day yesterday and for Law, they said that if you have more than one from Media/Communication, PE, Art (and Design), Computer Studies/ICT, Dance, Drama/Theatre then you won't get an offer. Warwick encourage you to choose subjects that you will do best in.

That sort of thing will be applicable to near enough every Law school - subject combination is not too important for Law. You have a good set of subjects for Law (people who say you need Lit are incorrect, there are plenty of people who study Law from a solid Maths/Science background). Lit could be pretty useful though, but don't choose it instead of Politics if you're not going to enjoy it :smile:.

EDIT: Sorry, I seem to have ignored the fact that you might want to study Economics. I can't give you any advice on that front.

Sorry to derail the thread, but I'm considering applying to Notts for Law, so would it be possible, for you to tell me the gist of what else they said?:colondollar:
I'd keep History, Maths and Economics.

Maybe change Govt & Politics for English Literature, Philosophy or a Language.
If you take F.Maths like someone has suggested then you will be limiting your options.
Original post by Tsunami2011
Sorry to derail the thread, but I'm considering applying to Notts for Law, so would it be possible, for you to tell me the gist of what else they said?:colondollar:

I will PM you so we don't clog up the thread :tongue:.
OP: I'd suggest you add FM as a fifth subject in order to make any potential economics applications as strong as possible.

That said, maths, further maths, history and economics would be a fine combination for either law or economics, anywhere.
Original post by DustBowlDance
I will PM you so we don't clog up the thread :tongue:.

Thanks!:smile:
Original post by michaelhaych
I'd keep History, Maths and Economics.

Maybe change Govt & Politics for English Literature, Philosophy or a Language.
If you take F.Maths like someone has suggested then you will be limiting your options.

How so? It's a perfectly respectable A-Level for Law or Economics.

Quick Reply

Latest