The Student Room Group

What is the worse example of a Mickey Mouse Degree

Poll

What is the best example of a 'Mickey Mouse Degree

What do you think is the best examples of useless, Mickey Mouse degrees and why ?

Sociology,
Music Studies,
Sports Science/Studies,
Photography,
Travel and Tourism,
Media Studies / film and television studies,
Drama/peformance,
Animation,
Event Management,
Fashion studies,
Video Games development,
Journalism,
Make Up and Hair Design for Music, film and photography
Outdoor, and water sports,

Most of these degrees I found at Southampton Solent. I could not believe the degrees that this University is churning out.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

they're all pretty legitimate, to be honest. Any one of these degrees can lead directly to a career in the relevant field, and is a neccesity there. Except media studies, possibly. Any media studies students want to correct me on this?
Reply 2
All have their place, certainly.
Reply 3
Original post by hungryaardvark
they're all pretty legitimate, to be honest. Any one of these degrees can lead directly to a career in the relevant field, and is a neccesity there. Except media studies, possibly. Any media studies students want to correct me on this?

Photography ? Sports studies, Fashion Studies ? Have you seen the module outline for subjects like these ?
I am copying and pasting my reply from another thread.

As well as those listed:

There is more, on top of my head:
Media Studies
Film and Production
Psychology
Music
Art
Fashion
Business Management and Leisure
Hospitality Management
Politics
Leisure and Tourism
Art and Design
Drama
Anything with "studies" like "Iranian Studies" (such a degree does exist ) or Business Studies
Business Management
Childhood and Youth studies
Coaching
Community Health
Computer Games

I would go far and say perhaps, joint degrees might be mickey mouse like Accountancy and politics- mainly because it is not pure Accountancy. Although I would make clear, accountancy is a very respected degree. (I am not studying accountancy anyway). Just highlighting how respected degrees like accountancy, law, physics, biology etc... get watered down with "and another subject".

There are probably even more that will get mentioned...

Neg rep me all you want- you know it is true. You wasted a lot of money on something that was useless. I am not being snobby. I don't care which university a person goes to, just don't do mickey mouse degrees. Simples.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=32847848#post32847848
Reply 5
Censored
(edited 12 years ago)
games design.

Rest are acceptable.
none of those... SURF SCIENCE is... i mean seriously.
I suppose they're all the types of careers that people could get into via more vocational routes (which I'd personally rather do myself), but if some people really want to study them at uni, then why not just let them and quit complaining and judging?
Reply 9
:sigh: This thread again?

People don't always go to uni to increase their employability. And even if they did, a lot of those degrees are actually very employable, because they lead to one specific career path/job. At the end of the day, it's not like it hurts you if someone does a course less ~prestigious than whatever you've deemed acceptable for yourself, so I don't think the snobbery that's rife on TSR is really necessary here.
Original post by The_Male_Melons

Business Management

I do not know about business Management, Edinburgh University teaches Business Management and they came 22nd out of the 500 top universities amongst the world, Whilst Stratchclyde Uni which is ranked in the 20s somewhere in the UK teaches HR Managment. I agree with the others you stated though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Southhampton Solent is pretty crap in terms of creative courses compared to other art colleges/unis so maybe take reference from them in terms of fashion design and fine art degrees.
Reply 12
Reply 13
Original post by Flying Flowers
What do you think is the best examples of useless, Mickey Mouse degrees and why ?

Sociology,
Music Studies,
Sports Science/Studies,
Photography,
Travel and Tourism,
Media Studies / film and television studies,
Drama/peformance,
Animation,
Event Management,
Fashion studies,
Video Games development,
Journalism,
Make Up and Hair Design for Music, film and photography
Outdoor, and water sports,

Most of these degrees I found at Southampton Solent. I could not believe the degrees that this University is churning out.

You were looking at Southampton Solent and didn't pick up on the Stand Up Comedy degree?
I am copying and pasting my reply from another thread.

As well as those listed:

There is more, on top of my head:
Media Studies
Film and Production
Psychology
Music
Art
Fashion
Business Management and Leisure
Hospitality Management
Politics
Leisure and Tourism
Art and Design
Drama
Anything with "studies" like "Iranian Studies" (such a degree does exist ) or Business Studies
Business Management
Childhood and Youth studies
Coaching
Community Health
Computer Games

I would go far and say perhaps, joint degrees might be mickey mouse like Accountancy and politics- mainly because it is not pure Accountancy. Although I would make clear, accountancy is a very respected degree. (I am not studying accountancy anyway). Just highlighting how respected degrees like accountancy, law, physics, biology etc... get watered down with "and another subject".

There are probably even more that will get mentioned...

Neg rep me all you want- you know it is true. You wasted a lot of money on something that was useless. I am not being snobby. I don't care which university a person goes to, just don't do mickey mouse degrees. Simples.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=32847848#post32847848

Politics???
Original post by kerily
:sigh: This thread again?

People don't always go to uni to increase their employability. And even if they did, a lot of those degrees are actually very employable, because they lead to one specific career path/job. At the end of the day, it's not like it hurts you if someone does a course less ~prestigious than whatever you've deemed acceptable for yourself, so I don't think the snobbery that's rife on TSR is really necessary here.

You obviously study a Mickey Mouse Degree. C'mon which one is it ?
Reply 16
Mathematics at oxbridge, most useless degree ever.
Reply 17
Original post by Flying Flowers
You obviously study a Mickey Mouse Degree. C'mon which one is it ?

:rofl:

Actually, no, I'm not even going to bother clarifying. If you're not intellectually capable of clicking the little button in my signature that reveals the nature of my academic qualifications, or clicking through to my profile (which is out-of-date, but should still give you an idea!) I really don't think there's much point in you starting a big debate thread :teehee:

(Not, I hasten to add, that my argument would be any less valid if I did study a degree that other people thought of as 'Mickey Mouse' - but I'm pretty sure I don't.)
Reply 18

So I suppose you think physics and/with maths is a watered down subject even though it's a route a lot of budding theoretical physicist would take?

I'm actually really looking forward to studying Graphic Design.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending