The Student Room Group

Should I pick ICT for A-Levels?

I honestly don't know the first thing about A-Level ICT. I studied it for GCSE and it was the easiest subject I've ever done, I did no work for the majority of the two years and completed most of my work two days before it was due in. I did not have an exam for it.

Of course A-Levels are a lot harder but I wanted to know if it's a difficult subject to do and whether it's time consuming as I'm picking other hard subjects which I need to focus on a lot.

To those of you who have studied it, can you please tell me all about the course including what you specifically studied and had to do for the two years as well as how the coursework, exams etc. were?

P.S I'm new to TSR and this is my first post so if I've done anything wrong let me know and give me tips on how to work this. It doesn't seem too difficult.
Depends, do you have any idea on what you want to study @ uni? ICT isn't considerd the 'hardest' of a-level subjects, so i don't think it's worth choosing it if you're not going to study something like computer science/engineering etc.
Reply 2
Even if you want to study Computer Science at university, ICT is not a respected academic subject. You will find it on the "Subjects with no/limited usefulness" lists for all the top universities, even for Computer Science courses.

I can't stress enough, ICT is nothing like Computer Science.
Computer Science is the the study of the mathematical underpinnings of computation, perhaps with some Software Engineering thrown in.
Reply 3
It is a hard subject from my experience, the exams are very tough. Some people's perception of ICT is well off, only 2 of us in my whole class got an A, and the majority of people got < a C - everyone in the group got either an A or A* at GCSE. The coursework isn't too bad however, and that tends to be a percentage of the AS.

Having said this it doesn't seem to be valued much by universities, and if you want to do something like Computer Science: Mathematics, Physics, and Further Mathematics would be far more beneficial. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest